Pat Kirwan article

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by leebigeztx, Mar 1, 2012.

1. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

I talked to kirwan and ryan on sirius yesterday discussing the mario williams situation. He came on today and said it sparked him to write a article that will be on nfl.com. Basically, he talks about how he can go to aj,smith,daniels,and ryans and without cutting anyone, just converting salary, and create 16m of cap space. The deal he put together was 6yrs 90m with 30m signing bonus. That would leave 10.6m of cap room to do meyers and foster. Just a heads up on how a former gm would handle it.

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Appreciate the info.

3. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Good stuff. I hope we can find a way to keep them all. Mainly Mario, Foster, and Myers. I'd be okay letting Brisiel walking and us drafting a replacement in the early-mid rounds.

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

** patiently waits for dale to come in with a reason why this couldn't happen **

HOU-TEX likes this.
  5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Exactly what I've been saying. The upfront bonus and 2-3 years (low salary)guarantee should meet Mario's needs. 6 years is reasonable and new tv money in 2013 makes it all work especially if last year or so is not guaranteed. That takes care of 3 priority needs and cutting Leinert/jj= another $7m+ which could be our draft or Dreesen or go towards Duane Brown extension.

6. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Yeah, I've been exchanging e-mails with them for a minute. Pat Kirwan and Gil brandt take guys into the room. They talk about stuff that's bigger than just personel. I've had sirius since like 03 and have been calling in for that long. Great football info and not the local,propped up bs. Very objective.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It works, as long as Williams' agent isn't dead set on him becoming the highest paid defender. I've always felt the Texans would make a very generous offer. Just not the best offer. Hopefully, that will be good enough.

8. cbs1507

cbs1507 Veteran

Yeah but you forgot that we need about $5 million or so set aside to pay for the rookies we draft. All in all it sounds good, but he'd probably need a smaller cap number for 2012 to allow space for our draft picks.

9. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Yeah, he will have a salary breakdown. He did it all without a cut. If they cut walters,jones,cody,leinhart,that's 12m right there. The texans could do the restructure of the 4, sign mario,foster,and meyers, then use the xtra 12m to do brown and cushing to deals.the players they lose, they will have to draft or lower level free agens.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Of course it could happen.... I'd only comment on why it shouldn't happen....

because he's not worth it. Notice that there is no comment on how Schaub, Quin, Barwin, Brown get extended... not to mention who/how we replace Cody and Jones

11. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Wow, that's more than Julius Peppers' contract value and it includes a big signing bonus! I wonder who's been saying that's the type of money he will be offered in free agency...? :kitten:

Even with those roster moves, I don't like the idea of shelling out 15 million a year for Mario. It just seems like we would be overpaying at that point. I really think he's worth closer to 10 a year, but market price will probably be in the 15 a year range. I also would prefer retaining Myers, Brisiel, Rackers and locking down Foster longterm over getting Mario alone.

12. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Its 3m. Its actually less the lower u pick. Jacoby can pay the rookies with his salary.

13. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

The conversation I have with kirwan about contracts come to this. If the players age is 27 or younger and not a rb, you do signing bonus. Why? Because when its spread out over 6 yrs, he has a good chance of fullfilling the full contract.

Its almost laughable you brought up the replacements for jones and cody. Cody was a cheap deal free agent who has a - rating vs the run andpass and jones is a 3rd rd er. Those guys are easy to replace either via the draft or low level signings.

As I mentioned later, they could cut some dead weight and use that to sign brown 1st,cushing 2nd, barwin 3rd.

14. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I think we need to cheat -- wink, wink, nod, nod,

"We'll pick you up next year when the cap jumps..."

"Gonna have to trust Mr. McNair here..."

I bet Pittsburgh is doing it with Mike Wallace.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Pitt is getting ready to revamp their whole team to make room for wallace.

Ward just got cut...expect Farrior, Kiesel & Hampton to restructure or meet the ax too.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Aaron Smith was just cut too

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

The first two years could be $6-8million guaranteed ; bump in year 3-4 and big bump last two non-guaranteed. You can cut him then or be smiling at what a wise investment you made in a huge sack guy.

18. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

If we make it through this year with out any real major casualties, i think we'll be ok. Aside from that, worry about 2013 when 2013 gets here.

but.....with the impending salary cap increase, schaub definitely not commanding more than what he's scheduled to make in 2012 (8 mil?) & the fact that you can save a few mil by cutting rackers this year....Okoye's money finally coming off our cap.. i think we'll be ok to deal with guys next year.

19. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Cody has outperformed his contract which counts roughly $3 million against the cap. Jones' number is similar. Do you propose replacing both players with rookie UDFAs? If not, whomever you replace them with will count against the cap. I don't like the idea of replacing my starting NT with someone with zero market value. I don't want the draft to simply be about replacing proven veterans with unproven mid and late round picks based on need.... but, that's just me.

20. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Did u say cody outperformed his contract? What game are u watching?.They could cut cody tommorrow and the only thing they would miss is his videos. He's easily replaced and doesn't have a market if released. They could bring him back at vet min and give him snap bonuses to fill it out. Hustle guy,that's it. Not to mention he's been a negative.