Passing is the Future of the NFL............

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jan 31, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

...............if you have a Peyton Manning or a Drew Brees. Can modern day teams offer consistent championship performance with the old formula of strong run and iron man defense? Or has the NFL evolved, leaving behind an archaic blueprint? Do we still really ever see teams maintaining a level of sustained excellence cultivating a truly "balanced" approach? Certainly, there are many ways to "skin" a cat. But, this article from my home town Kansas City Star makes me wonder about a lot of the present day limitations to being an all around "best."

Link

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

This is what the NFL wants. They have been slowly changing the rules for the last ten years, trying to force this to happen.

Just look at how badly the rules of the game favor the offense now. It's a joke. The average fan wants to see points and passing yards and by golly they are gonna get it. And if the NFL has to change rules to make it happen then they will.

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Trent Dilfer nailed it the other day. Stop the run and run well only works if you have a GREAT defense. Not a good defense, not a really good defense. You have to have a GREAT defense. Those teams simply aren't built to overcome adversity. They have to pound you into submission from the first second of the game.

4. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

"Defense wins championships" is becoming more of a misnomer every season.

5. texdawg

texdawg Veteran

Another reason for the offensive explosion has been the proliferation of domes. With the addition of multiple southern teams playing in decent weather and many traditional northern teams opting for domes, the odds of a team playing in the snow and freezing temps up north have been diminished.

Its the old complaint from traditional outdoor stadium northern teams that they are forced to play in the outdoor conditions durring most of the season, then forced to play the Superbowl in warm weather.

Kinda miss seeing the Vikings play outside in December.

6. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Passing isn't the future, passing is the now. Look at the teams in the SB this year. Colts and Saints. Yeah. Last year? Cardinals (Fitzgerald, Boldin, Warner) and Steelers (Roethlisberger, Ward, Holmes). Brett Favre led the Vikings attack when AP became a pedestrian RB this year. The Jets were the lone run-first team in the championship level games. The Texans have started aspiring to become a playoff team right after Schaub and Johnson got elite.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

After watching the Pro Bowl, it wouldn't surprise me to someday see the NFL extend the ban on the blitz to the regular season in order to bolster the pass-happy excitement factor....................I'm not truly sure if I'm making this statement in pure sarcasm or not.............

8. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Quick strike offenses, and risk taking turnover causing defenses.

9. BigTimeTexanFan

BigTimeTexanFan All Pro

That will be the day I no longer watch.

10. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

Passing is just superior over a good run game and :d:

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Call me old school, but I still believe it. Or, maybe I just want it to be true.

I'm the type that'd rather watch a 10-7 slobber-knockin game than a 51-45 shootout.

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Me too. Everybody went crazy about the Green Bay-Arizona game and I thought it was terrible. It's like watching backyard football.

13. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

It's not as far off as we probably think. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the NFL put a ban on jamming WRs at the line. Right now they only have five yards where they can contact the WR.

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I disagree with this entirely. Just look at what the Titans did last season. Look at what the Ravens have been for this entire decade. Look at what the Steelers were when they won their two SB's. You could say that defense wins SB's the same way.

I'm not underrating what a great passing offense can do or anything, but the Saints high powered passing game has been this way the last 4 years. They didn't become a great team until they finally fixed their defense this season.

One thing no one likes to talk about as far as the Colts is how great their defense has been this season. I think they're the most underrated defense in the league. Every one acts like it's been all Manning but that couldn't be more untrue. The Colts defense are hard to score on and very stingy. They're the type of team that can have a bad half but then completely shut you out in the 2nd half. They did that to the Texans and to the Jets in that last game. They've been pretty consistent all year.

If you build a team through a great running game and a great defense, you've still got to have a QB that can win in the clutch because most games will be very close games when you try and win that way and you've got to have some guys that can make plays at WR's but you don't "need" a high powered passing game.

Just look at the high powered offense from the Packers this season or the Cardinals as well. They had horribly inconsistent defenses all year long and that's exactly why they lost certain games.

You need a well balanced team more than anything.

15. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Yep, I was thinking that's the day I go back to watching Australian Rules Football. When ESPN started out they showed a lot of those games from down under. Pretty cool and tough sport, I wish they'd bring them back now that I think about it.

16. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It's chicken and the egg now. You could get to the SB being a great defensive team that has a mediocre offense, but teams that have only a run game and no passing game (Think ravens and Titans here) don't make it all the way. On the flip side, you can see a team win a superbowl with a really great offense and a very meh defense. I'm sure both of us can name superbowl winners and losers from this decade and last and come up with maybe 1 or 2 teams in the mold of the '00 Ravens. Most of the other teams feature some kind of talent in the QB or QB and RB/WR/TE.

The way the rules go, secondary players and DL are both at huge disadvantages because they can't "Play too rough" or else they get huge penalties. This favors a big passing game, and pretty much across the board COMP%, TD's, Passing yards and QB ratings are all up up up. I like hard hitting defenses too, but it's getting to the point where you can get away with having a defense that stops the opponent a few times and an offense that regularly puts up 30 pts.

EDIT: And really I expect the Ravens to keep contending now because they have a pretty good QB and RB combo going for them. I expect their defense to slide quite a bit while Flacco and Rice grow together but I imagine we'll still see them as perennial playoff contenders.

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

[citation needed]

passing is the PRESENT of the NFL. the future will be teams stopping the pass and running the ball well. then, after that, it'll be passing again. it's cyclical.

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree with kastofsna. These trends are cyclical. A good running game can keep an opponent's high powered offense off the field. Peyton is the exception to the rule (didn't they win a game earlier this year with just 16 minutes of possession in the game?), but Peyton is so good that he's the exception to many rules (i.e. Colts last place running game this year).

NFLN ran a show earlier in the year about "Top 10 Football Myths", and 'defense wins championships' was one of the 'myths' looked at. They ran stats which were interesting (both for an against), but Warren Sapp nailed it. He said that when the team needed to score to win a game, who comes on the field? The offense.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

And that's it. When the Jets got down I told my wife it was over and she pointed out I normally say the game isn't over until the clock is on zero but my point to here was the Jets aren't built to score quickly. You can't just turn that on and off. You can see a team like the Texans hang 21 points up in a quarter but that just isn't going to be something the Jets do.

20. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

That's because they can't and the reason for that is because they have a rookie QB who doesn't have any big time play making WR's either. That team's got nothing but a running game. They're offense will get better though as Sanchez develops and as they get more talent at WR. Grabbing Edwards wasn't the answer.

The Colts were the perfect team set up to beat the JEts. The Colts have a high powered offense to go up against a high powered defense. Then the Colts also have a very good defense that's extremely underrated going up against an inconsistent offense led by a rookie QB that doesn't have any major weapons in the passing game. That running game was only going to take that team so far and once their running game didn't play great Sanchez wasn't about to beat anyone with his arm.

The Steelers had a very similar style to what's being described as the power running game and great defense type of winning team and they just won a SB and another one a few years before. Their running game wasn't great last season, but it could be at times. Their O line dropped off, but their defense was great. Their key difference though was that Big Ben could always be counted on to win games for them on final drives and in the clutch. Big Ben also had play making WR's to throw to in Ward and Holmes. Neither one of them are great elite WR's but they both can make big plays in the clutch as well. I think you can win with a great defense, but you've got to have a QB that can make things happen when in the clutch. To many games in the post season come down to the final two minutes and who has the ball last and Big Ben can get the Steelers down the field the majority of the time. The problem is, that most teams that are built with a great running game and a great defense usually lack a good QB or good WR's.