Pass Rush = Better Secondary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HoustonFrog, May 1, 2006.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Don't forget that a better pass rush equates into a better secondary. Hopefully with some more experience and a guy like Duante back there the added pass rush will help out and the stats will show a huge improvement.

2. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Exactly..that is what happened in the Rams game. A team can lose leads quick when they have no one touching the QB and he is playing flag football.

3. Scooter

Scooter Funky

yes, and as the steelers proved, you dont have to get to the qb every time to make a difference. hurries, and being in the qb's face is going to make even the most poised throwers like manning & brady make uncharacteristic mistakes. combined with tackles for loss & sacks, the added pressure greatly increases turnover potential, both as forced fumbles and those mistakes turning into interceptions.

4. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Glad to see someone else recognizes this.

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Listening to Michael Smith who wrote the pro Mario piece for ESPN and he makes alot of sense too. You won't outscore these teams, you have to smack them in the face.

6. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I don't think the pass rush will be too good this year. I hope it is, but a big factor is which Mario Williams shows up at the games - Super Mario or Luigi?

7. Vambo, the Marble Eye

Vambo, the Marble Eye Veteran

Game planning with a decent pass rush changes the style of the offense too. If we start having some "take aways" or forcing a couple of "3 downs and out" we can get much more liberal in playcalling (and exciting) on offense.

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

There were so many times last year that I would scream my head off in frustration because opposing QBs had all day in the pocket. No matter how good your coverage is, it will eventually break down when you give QBs 10 seconds to wait for someone to get open.

To me, the failure to put any pressure on the pocket was our most glaring defensive weakness. Hopefully this draft has addressed that issue head on.

9. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

It aint all on Williams either. Our new DC is creating a more simple, and much more aggressive, defense. Our existing players will look better in that kind of system as well.

10. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I think Carr can attest to that......

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Hopefully it opens things up for some guys to get to the ball and pursue. That is one thing I loved about watching Pitt was when the ball got into someones hands, Porter and Polamalu where flying to the ball.

12. humbleone

humbleone Veteran

Well said. IMO, Texans fans/media are going to be absolutely shocked at how much better our defense will be this year. I know that most fans love to see the scoreboard light up and all that but what really gets me going is to see a defense that just knocks the stuffing out of opposing offensive players every chance they get. Go Texans :yahoo:

13. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

To you? Obviously Kubiak agreed. And I do too. :)

14. Daonly

Daonly Veteran

Look how better the Titans got when they drafted Kearse?? They went to the SuperBowl that year. It always good to have a pass rusher. Peppers, Freeny.. Teams would die to have one of those players on their team!

Mario will have alot of motivation to play hard from the begining, First to prove folks wrong about going #1. #2 he does get a Fat Bonus if he Gets 12 sacks in any of the 1st 5 years of the contract.

We couldn't trade down and take Mario, because it was garanteed he was going to the Saints if we took Bush; and the Titans be damn to move up and grab a QB and give up some picks to a rival,and pay Young Preminum QB #1 pick money when they can't even pay none of their rookies till they get rid of Mc Nair.

The Jets had the chance at Lienart and Cutler at #4 they didnt take them.; You saw where Lienart and Cutler Fell, #10, and what #15 overall?? So I do believe Charlie when he said he didn't have no one call up to swap picks.
    We had to take Mario #1.

Saints took Bush, for one reason,yeah he a great Talent; but they needed someone to sell tickets and hype up a DEAD! I REPEAT a DEAD CITY.... They using Bush.. like a HOE! to make Money!!! End of Story... So look for Bush to ask for a Crap load of Money..

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Alot of the Cowboy fans are thrilled they got Coleman..... they are saying our lack of a pass rush & poor coaching made him look a lot worse than he really is.

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I bet Dunta and P-Buc are drooling over our draft. A good pass rush = alot of int. With Williams comming in and using Peek and Babbin opposite him on pass downs is gonna be insane. Or you use Mario at DT and use both Peek and Babbin/Orr as DE to have a speed line up. It sounds like we may have a fun year watching our D.

17. Eyeguy

Eyeguy Veteran

Wiiiams, Peek, Babin, and T. Johnson are young quick linemen. I think the d-line plays the pass better than the run next year.

18. mike230765

mike230765 Rookie

Daonly i like your reference to Bush. That is exactly why i tink they picked him. Also because they might be moving to L.A. in a few years.

19. pockets44

pockets44 Rookie

I don't know if this has been mentioned but what I would love to see, is Babin/Peek lined up behind Mario at the outside backer spot for blitz situations. I know its been made clear that they are DE not OLB's. But imagine the headaches that could cause on say 3rd and long. Both are natural DE but have OLB experience and knowledge. Have mario and Peek come at a QB on the same side! Insurance premiums would skyrocket!

20. Eyeguy

Eyeguy Veteran

Texans say that Babin and Peek will play DE and will not play LB in new 4-3. I would like to see Mario and Peek on the same side on 3rd down. Mario at DT and Peek at DE, they could pull off quick hit stunts that would be a real problem for slower O linemen.