Parcells is retiring

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by reilli, Jan 22, 2007.

1. reilli

reilli Rookie

Bill Parcells just announced his retirement from coaching.

2. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

Just heard the same thing, Fat Tuna did not win a divison or a playoff game in little d but I guess he was better than 5-11, 5-11, 5-11, 6-10

3. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

will dallas' franchise enter a downward spiral?

4. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Thats what i'm thinking.

5. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

MSNBC is reporting on the front page that Bill Parcells has retired as the Cowboys coach.

More details to come...

www.msnbc.com

6. powerfuldragon

already a thread about this.

7. OrangeCountyTexansFan

OrangeCountyTexansFan Veteran

Well, I never thought that Bill should have re-entered the coaching arena once he left. I guess he has finally seen that his glory days are behind him now and he needs to leave them in the past.
    Back to suits (to cover up those man-boobies) and sports commentary.

8. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

No. I am really sorry so see Parcells retire at this time, but the organization will continue to improve.

9. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I really didn't think that Parcells would leave things like they are at the moment. His young QB is crushed after choking in the biggest moment of the biggest game he's played in his short career, and now Parcell's won't even be there to help him or the team to recover. There were signs that he might be leaning towards retirement with the recent departures of a few of his assistant coaches.

It will be interesting to see who Jerry Jones brings in to take over this team. It won't be an easy task that's for sure. There's quite a bit of talent there, but there are lots of questions marks. Who's the real Romo? Is he the player that we saw in his early starts? Or is he the player who fumbled quite a bit over his last few starts? Will he be able to shake off the stigma that's sure to follow him after choking on a national stage? If the new coach doesn't like what Romo brings to the table they could find themselves looking for a QB. What happens with TO? We've seen what he's done to other teams in his second year there. He tends to wear out his welcome rather quickly. Anyways farewell to a great coach & good luck.

10. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

I think long as Jones keeps away from drafting, coaching affairs, personell decisions.....pretty everything except walking the sidelines....This team isn't in that bad of shape really. A good defensive core. Good receiver and running back corps. The line needs some help but not a whole lot. The biggest thing is having a coach that can reel in T.O. will become a pretty big deal. I'm sure Jones however like usual will be looking for a high profile hire.

11. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

It might actually be better for the players that he finally retires. Every year, there's always the same "will he or won't he" drama. It's a distraction.

Are you really gonna listen to a guy that you think won't be around next year?

12. powerfuldragon

yup. the man likes to get as much press coverage as possible for everythting.

13. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

After watching the Bears defense get after it on Sunday (and it was the first time this season I watched da Bears), I'd have to give serious consideration to the Bears DC.

14. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I'm glad he didn't do this a year earlier or Sean Payton might have been their coach. I love it when things go bad for Baja Oklahoma.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Is that because most of his coaching hires have been high profile?? Jimmy Johnson(never been an NFL head coach), Barry Switzer(never been an NFL head coach), Chan Gailey(never been an NFL head coach), Dave Campo(never been an NFL head coach), Parcells has been the only "high profile" coach JJ has hired, and if he does it again, it would be because of the bad experience learned from the 3 out of 4 bad "low profile" coaching hires he's made.

16. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

Respectfully Switzer and Jimmy Johnson won College titles with pro calliber college programs.

Dave Campo and Chan Gailey don't realistically count. That was Jones' mock attempt to be the real coach with two puppets at the helm. The drafting between those years was attrocious and need i say more then Quincy Carter?

Texans Horror likes this.
  17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Even Parcells liked Q enough to start him ahead of Testeverde.... something he wouldn't do with Romo or Henson. Q was a talented QB IMHO, and if it weren't for the drug addiction, I think he'd have had a long career in the NFL. He may not have been an elite QB, but surely would flourish as well as guys like Kitna, Garcia, Flutie, etc....

If you consider Barry Switzer & JJ "high profile" in the same way that Bill Parcells was "high profile" then I guess you're right.... but I don't

18. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

I wanted them to stay with Randal Cunningham. Who pound for pound was one of the more talented QBs i saw play in the NFL. I thought it was pretty good recognition of him in the later years to become more of a pocket passer.

Far as Testaverde goes...never have been a huge fan. I think Q had more atheticsm and could make more plays. I thought he was a huge reach in the second round considering if i remember he didn't play a lot in college at Georgia. Wasn't that the same draft that Brees was taken?

(btw everytime i see that sig line i crack up)

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Agreed
    I'm just saying.... the kid could play.... I can understand the Cowboy faithful not being too excited about Q being "the future" and all.... but they had so many holes, and so many old players, that all they needed to do was keep their head above water for a couple of years.... & Q would have been perfect for that.
    Yeah...... DB has a way of putting things........

Please_Evolve likes this.
  20. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

So is there a pool on who gets a HC first - Oakland or Dallas? Agree with above though, at least Dallas has a good nucleus going. Oakland may... but if they do, it's all over the place.