Panthers owner disses Manning, Brees

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Double Barrel, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Dude sounds like a jackass. He profits from this HoF player but has to disrespect him because he's asking an honest question?

2. BetaV1

BetaV1 Veteran

No offense to Manning and Brees, but let's see their books. In fact, let's see all the books for every single NFL player under contract. If the players want to see how the owners are spending their money, I think it's only fair that the owners get to see how the players are "investing" their money.

3. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Yeah, I was reading that late last night and was not at all surprised it was Jerry Richardson doing the dissing. When I was in NC over the Holidays papers over there documented his stance very clearly.

Ex-player that seems to make his good points with players under normal circumstances but, IMO, really seethes at the money players are taking in today and (probably) the general lack of effort in return. He is the untimate hardliner on that side of the table.

4. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

The two sides are so far off its scary. Just unbelievable.

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

We do get to see their books. You can look up almost every players contract, etc out there. The owners are the ones saying they are losing cash but won't show people where. I usually get fed up with millionaire athletes but football..where their lives are literally shortened...I'm with them. I think their "alleged" safety concerns while at the same time wanting to make the season longer makes the commish and the owners look like idiots.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    bah007 and Showtime100 like this.
  6. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

That's a good post right there. I don't care who you are......:bravo:

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

My thoughts exactly. My take is that with taxpayer financed stadiums, I think citizens should demand that owners open up their books, too.

I don't feel sorry for any of these freakin' owners. I run a small business, and it's a brutal economic climate just to stay in business. So spare me the crapola about "risk" when NFL franchises are one of the safest investments these billionaires could ever make.

When I see Earl Campbell unable to walk, and that crusty old coot Bud Adams is still on his feet at 150 years old, it is clear as day that the players are truly the ones living with the risks of the sport for the rest of their lives. Players are what the NFL is all about. It amazes me that many fans seem to forget this aspect as they fawn over these billionaire owners.

8. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Don't know what to say because I was not in the room but I am all for player safety. Sometimes I do ask the question, Don't the players choose to go the NFL route? But, if the players do not play then there would not be any football at all so case and point.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

The league even more than us knows all the details of the contracts. They are all filed with and approved by the league in order to police the cap.

I have a hard time getting worked up over this fight for either side. It is squabbling over how to divide a giant pie and there is no objectively correct break point. One big advance to me seems to be putting everything in the pot. Everything the owners make is based off the players so everything should go in the pot. That hasn't been the system before so I see why the owners want some concession on percentage but it appears both sides are on board for that. The big team v. little team thing doesn't even involve the players but some parity needs to be maintained although contrary to the prior issue it should not be one big pot. Buffalo simply does not contribute as much as Dallas does. Plus making that totally equal would make all the teams equally valuable and the big dogs aren't going to take a hatchet of that magnitude on their asset values when they paid more to get the big dogs. I lean towards an 18 game schedule with a few caveats - increased rosters, two bye weeks and a revised IR system.

I'll start a different thread on safety measures to not derail this one further.

10. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

I wonder if the Panther's owner is a lil salty b/c when he played the value of his contract during his day was comparable to people working normal jobs or maybe slightly more...whereas today player's salaries dwarf the avg American's earnings. I think the real reason the owners want more money is due to some of the more profitable owners being tired of sharing revenue with the troubled markets...all in all greed is mofo

Looks like Cak posted about the 2nd half of my statement before I did

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Say what you want to about a goofey old man like Adams, but between his billion-dollar NFL football team and his billion-dollar Oil & Gas compnay he's created thousands and thousands of jobs for men and women trying to make it in this world. He may not be a particualrly likable character to you and a lot of people are still pizzed about his Oilers leaving Houston, but this country needs as many of his kind of entrepreneurs as it can get.