Panthers’ Trick Play Was Inspired by Little Giants Movie

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Double Barrel, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I did not see this play mentioned anywhere (if it has another thread, we will merge).

To be honest, I was surprised that the play was legal. But obviously, after official review, legality was confirmed.

Our defense was caught with their pants down. I would have loved to see them just mow down some offensive linemen when the ball was snapped, but our defenders were completely clueless about it until it was too late.

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

We ran a play like that in freaking LIttle League football. That play has been used way before that movie The Little Giants came out. Article is bullshit.

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

It's still a BS play. Legal or not. When you're a crappy team, you gotta do what you gotta do to win so hats off to them for winning.

Texan_Bill likes this.
  4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The article just stated that the movie was where Ron Rivera got the idea from, not that the movie created the play.

I was surprised that the offense did not get called for illegal motion and/or a false start. There were clearly two men in motion when the ball was snapped, and the linemen were fidgeting while they were standing up.

Is there some kind of loophole in NFL rules? I have never seen this kind of play in many decades of watching pro football.

5. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

That, but that play has been done for decades. There is no way that Rivera first learned about that play from some little kids movie and decided it was a smart move to do in a real NFL game. Teams have ran the Fumblerooski for a very long time. They probably mentioned the movie to make it seem like a feel good story. Rivera probably thought it was funny to act like he got it from there, but there is no way a guy who has been a coach that long learned about that play from The Little Giants kid movie.

6. sbalderrama

sbalderrama Rookie

It looked to me like the offensive line never setup, they were standing around and waving their arms and stuff. How is that even legal?

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I wondered too. however I think as long as your hand isn't on the ground an OL can basically do what he wants without moving his feet?

I have seen O-linemen point and stuff while in pass protection mode (cough *colts* cough* among other teams)

8. foo82

foo82 Veteran

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

PapaBrakolos has this one - dead right. Spot on!!

10. burro

burro almost sentient

We got owned by a fictitious little league play...eff

11. Texan_Bill

Rumor has it that if Wade was on the sideline......

Well.. Nothing. It still would've happened. Kudos to Carolina for making one of the best defenses in the league this year, look really.... REALLY BAD!!

After all, "This was their Super Bowl"! ;) I kid Panthers fan but we've heard stupid, ridiculous shit like that - EVERY year.

12. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

It's true. It's such a BS play but no one prepares for it. You can only pull that off one time though. Next time they try it OL will get blown up, RB will get blown up, and Ca$h Newton will end up with a face full of turf.

13. Texan_Bill

Signed,

How we dicked over OU.... Boise State's "Statue of Liberty"

Good for you.......... Losers! :facepalm:

#BushLeague

PapaL likes this.
  14. Premier

Premier All Pro

BeerTastesLikeVictory likes this.
  15. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

it was OK that the oline was moving because it was unintentional movement like the unintentional illegal touch by the guard on a pass play. Since there are so many plays where the guard gets hit with the ball intentionally, it kind of like an unintentional hold, or and unintentional intentional grounding. or unintentional offsides, which are all good.

Therefs are getting worse and worse. Jeff Triplett sucks in triplicate......

16. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I'm sorry but I don't remember seeing the Chicken Little Fleaflicker. I would have remember seeing the center turning around and farting!

17. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Come on, unintentional movement, it's not like they're sporting a bunch af people with muscle spasms out there. Entire line was moving, and it was very intentional.

I still don't get how this play was legal, I get the 'snap part of it', but the moving OL, not so much...

18. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Actually the Oline never moved, they were just in a 2 pt stance, which is legal. We ran the exact same play in high school and asked how this was not gonna get a penalty. Coach said 2 things to us as long as we do not go down, touch the dirt, then back up, and the QB does not say 'set" it is basically like being in a "passing" 2pt stance.

Barwin took the bait, hook line and sinker as did the rest of the Texans. No doubt desperate times call for desperate measures, anybody remember the Chris Brown half back pass debacle? but it still remains that the Texans did not come out and handle their business on Sunday...

Ah well, feel bad for Indy Thursday night....

19. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Great play. Perfectly executed, perfectly timed. As someone mentioned, I can't believe NONE of the defenders just jumped into the OL to try to wreck the play. If all that's been said is true, they would either have to let them burn past the line and probably destroy the play or grab onto them, get a holding called and the whole play would be busted.

20. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I think the trick play was inspired by the fear of our defense. They came into this game knowing they struggled against other good defenses, so they practiced some trick plays to get an edge on the Texans D.