Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Packers at Niners Thread

GP

Go Texans!
I'll admit, I disliked Alex Smith losing his job through no real fault of his own, especially at a time when the NFL is trying to encourage player safety (debatable). Smith followed the rules and here came Kaepernick.

However, as I type I have a hard time saying Harbaugh was wrong. The kid has dimensions to his game Smith does not. Harbaugh risked a lot making this call.

Thoughts?
Back when he made the call, I said it was a mistake.

This is why I don't coach for a living. Obviously.

Russell Wilson and Kapernicky are, possibly, the future prototype of NFL QBs. Vince Young was also a playmaker, but he had no passing skills and was a head case.

Cautionary tales though: Vick's body is taking a body, so whatever passing skills he had are now limited because of his inability to simply stay on the field and out of danger. RGIII is also suffering from his own brand of playmaking ability.

Guys who can run but know when to duck out of bounds, guys who run but know when to hit the turf and take a sack, etc., they can play awhile. Steve Young did it until he took a few too many nasty hits to the dome. Brees seems to be the best playmaking QB who knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Wilson and Kaperninsky are going to have to really stay disciplined and continue to grow as passers. Maybe the defenses in the NFL figure these guys out next year. Maybe they don't.

But right now, when guys like Johnny Manziel (TAMU) account for over 500 yards of production, and when guys like Kapernaut account for over 400 yards of production, it makes you think that with then NFL rules so slanted toward protecting QBs.......why NOT take a chance on this type of QB? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Or use a Sloth-type pocket passer. Who gets injured on a simple QB sneak, or folds up under a 3-man pass rush with the nearest guy 3 yards from him.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Back when he made the call, I said it was a mistake.

This is why I don't coach for a living. Obviously.

Russell Wilson and Kapernicky are, possibly, the future prototype of NFL QBs. Vince Young was also a playmaker, but he had no passing skills and was a head case.

Cautionary tales though: Vick's body is taking a body, so whatever passing skills he had are now limited because of his inability to simply stay on the field and out of danger. RGIII is also suffering from his own brand of playmaking ability.

Guys who can run but know when to duck out of bounds, guys who run but know when to hit the turf and take a sack, etc., they can play awhile. Steve Young did it until he took a few too many nasty hits to the dome. Brees seems to be the best playmaking QB who knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Wilson and Kaperninsky are going to have to really stay disciplined and continue to grow as passers. Maybe the defenses in the NFL figure these guys out next year. Maybe they don't.

But right now, when guys like Johnny Manziel (TAMU) account for over 500 yards of production, and when guys like Kapernaut account for over 400 yards of production, it makes you think that with then NFL rules so slanted toward protecting QBs.......why NOT take a chance on this type of QB? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Or use a Sloth-type pocket passer. Who gets injured on a simple QB sneak, or folds up under a 3-man pass rush with the nearest guy 3 yards from him.

Sounds great....but these new "running" qb's are fools gold....

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Am I witnessing the beginning of the end of the pocket passer in the NFL??
I agree the pocket passer is not going anywhere anytime soon, but I think it's fair to say the 'running QB' has taken on a different dimension of sorts this year.

IMO, the concept is evolving, where it will end up is anyone's guess.
FOX touched on this just now and I have to agree. The gist of what they said was "we'll look back on this moment right now and say......."

I don't think the new QB is a "running QB," but more skilled than a rabbit trying to out-dart a fox.

No sir, and as you hinted, we are seeing a different, more skilled QB of a different mode than a "running QB."

I hope you saved your money, Matt Schaub, love ya.

drs23

Veteran
Yep

Kaepernick is like Vick, except he is big enough to withstand the pounding and of course he has a brain.
I'm sure he could take a pounding steelb but the thing is, he's not even being touched. Did you see the designed run from mid field. He ran down the seem without anyone laying a finger on him. I'm sure he's taken a lick here-n-there but he's by no means taking a pounding.

Oh, and yeah, there's that brain thing goin' on too. :)