Owen Daniels - What's he worth? - Gets Highest RFA Tender

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ChampionTexan, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

John McClain was on KILT yesterday afternoon (just like every Friday), and one of the things he mentioned was that he'd heard Buffalo may be willing to offer Owen Daniels a contract in the $5 Million/year range even though he's a RFA. I didn't hear if he said anything about guaranteed dollars, but Jason Witten extended for six years in 2006, and got $29 Million with essentially $12 Million guraranteed. Last year, Dallas Clark signed a six year deal last year for $36 Million. I haven't found anything definitive on the guaranteed money, but it appears to be a front-loaded contract. Those are the best comparables I could find, but they seem to indicate a long-term deal averaging $5 Million per is not unrealistic.

If the Texans tender Daniels at max dollars (which is highly likely), and if Buffalo signs him to an offer sheet, the Texans can either match the offer, or take a first and a third from Buffalo, and let Daniels walk.

Assuming the Bills (or any other NFL team) signs O.D. to an offer sheet along the lines described, and assuming no poison pill (ie: the contract is matchable), what would you do?

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

A young probowl TE is worth more than 1 st round pick in my opinion. OD can block and he can catch. I say pay him. We saw how difficult it was when we had a receiving and a blocking TE. Now that we've got a guy who can do both, why would you let him walk for the potential of getting a good player?

That being said, I don't thikn Buffalo would do that. They have an early pick and can get Pettigrew, and save a ton of money and a 3rd

3. ChampionTexan

Just to clarify, it's a first and a third, and Buffalo has the 11th pick in the draft (so as opposed to what I said in the OP, let's assume we get Buffalo's picks since there's a big difference between theirs and a team picking in the bottom 10).

4. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Even though Daniels is one of my favorite players, I would definitely take the picks over him. We already have a capable tight end in Dressen, plus this draft is stacked with pretty good tight end prospects. We're getting two first day picks with both being top 15 in each round, it's a no brainer. Doubt Buffalo would do it though.

5. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Successful teams are able to trade quality players for extra draft picks and then have someone take their place without missing a beat along with getting more talent from the extra picks. Remember, we got OD for a 4th round pick so if we could get a 1st and 3rd for him that would be outstanding. However, I highly doubt we have anyone on the roster that can pick up where he left off. We're a team on the rise but we aren't that good yet.

You would have to take the picks because the value is just too great but at the same time expect a drop off in the TE position for the short term being more than balanced out by upgrades/added depth in positions of weakness from the added picks.

PS: You could add even more picks from the original 1st and 3rd with a trade down.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

OD is very good, and I'd miss him, but for a 1st and a 3rd I'd get over it.

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Sorry, but I'm not taking a 1st and 3rd over a proven player like Daniels......he's a 1st round talent and a huge reason why our offense is as good as it is. (he's our inside man)

1st round draft picks aren't sure fire hits

and 3rd round picks are even a bigger crap shoot.

Give me the proven YOUNG player any day of the week.

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I agree 100%. I understand the fascination and excitement over draft picks. A top 10 (close to it) pick has a chance to be superstar in this league. Maybe a probowler.

But we already have a probowler, and he's young and healthy. Why would you give up a surefire player that fits our system for an unknown?

9. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

I'm with CB. I think we've been spoiled by our recent draft successes. I'm not gambling on those picks when we have a young but proven stud TE who knows the offense well.

10. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I say pay him hands down.

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Confidence that your front office can find another player just like him. Buy low/sell high.

He was a 4th round pick, if we get a 1st and 3rd in exchange I have plenty of confidence that this coaching staff can draft players with those picks that will more than make up for the loss of OD.

Dont get me wrong, i'm a HUGE OD fan. But in the era of FA its all about drafting players like OD late and then trading them off for extra draft picks to a less fortunate organization that doesn't draft as well as you. That's the only way you're gonna stay under the salary cap and win consistently.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans will place a 1st and 3rd tender on Daniels.

No team will sign Daniels to an offer sheet with that tender.

The End.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This is the offseason. If all our threads end in 10 minutes its going to be a long couple of months!!

14. ChampionTexan

Consider this:

Our first and third round picks since Kubiak's been here:

2006 - Mario Williams/Charles Spencer OR Eric Winston
    2007 - Amobi Okoye/Jacoby Jones
    2008 - Duane Brown/Antwaun Molden OR Steve Slaton

I realize that this doesn't shed much light on the answer, and that's kind of the point.

15. ChampionTexan

Then suspend disbelief just this one time (sheesh!)

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

[​IMG]

(We don't have a threadcrapping smilie :))

17. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Daniels is great, but for a 1st and 3rd, I'm sure just about every GM in the league would trade Daniels for that. I would do that in a second.

18. Polo

Polo Guest

I'd trade Daniels,Dreesen and Bruener for the first and third.

19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

You do not know what you're going to get out of these two draft picks and you already know what you're going to get out of OD period.

20. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

Key point here. OD is the pro-bowler TE, who hasn't quite yet finished developing. A first and a third. Pah. It'd take a first and a second (perhaps two seconds, or another first) to really be tempting to get rid of one of the cornerstones of the offense. Plus, his work ethic and level headed attitude only makes him more of a no-trader.