Owen Daniels one step closer to leaving?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 2slik4u, Feb 28, 2011.

1. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

2. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Bye... Dreesen, Casey, and Graham can handle the TE duties just fine.

3. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I hope you're right. The games OD played 100% last season made such a huge difference to the offense! If true, I hope to see Casey or Graham step up as the starter.

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

LOL at the notion of Owen Daniels agreeing to sign for the vet min. with any team. That was pretty far fetched.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  5. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

This offense will have more slow starts w/o him.

Sorry but Dreessen ain't Owen. This offense hasn't been the same since week 10 of 2009.

RTP2110 likes this.
  6. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Garret Graham can play. He was even drafted because he pretty much had the same skill set as OD. This was why he was drafted - for when this day came with OD.

I think it is just a matter of seeing if other teams will give OD the big contract and if we can match it or not.

7. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

I agree with you on this but the guy cannot stay healthy. I would sign him back for a minimal, incentive based contract but he is going to want some good $ to play anywhere. I say we let some other team take on that headache. Maybe letting him go will be one step closer to free up some room to get that big name vet FA?

I hope so.

8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Absolutely agree, plus I think it's kind of misleading if not out and out inaccurate to say he "hasn't been able to get through a season in full health for quite awhile now". He played in and started 16 games in both 2007 & 2008, and I believe the games missed last season were an indirect result of the '09 injury.

The conclusion reached may have been correct, but I'm not at all impressed with the article.

I do agree that it could very well happen, but I think letting OD get away would be a big mistake.

9. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

So much of this is laughable, that there's little point in discussing it.

- Horrible Blocker?
    - Vet Minimum?
    - Rather have Casey / Dreesen unless 80% passing?

:mariopalm:

ChampionTexan likes this.
  10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I like OD. I don't think he is the reason they lost games when he was hurt but I think he fits the offense, works with Schaub better and can find the holes in the defense much better than anyone named so far. Guys like Casey are special teamers right now and if they were as good they would have been more prominent in the 2 years since drafted.

11. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Dreessen was a big part of Arian Fosters league leading year and the dudes got pretty good hands as well. He may not be the route runner that Daniels is/was but he is a much better blocker and also he hasn't torn both his ACL's.

Is Daniels going to be a restricted free agent? Will we have the chance to match an offer? I'm not so sure he is going to get the big contract that he is after on the open market.

12. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I really really like Owen Daniels and think he's been a great TE for us when healthy. But rumor has it, he was looking for a contract to be one of the highest paid TEs in the league. It's anyone's guess what he was "demanding" but if that were the case... he'd want a multi-year $7MM+/year contract.

That's just not a wise investment in my opinion. No Dreessen, Casey, Graham aren't as good... but $7MM per year for a tight end is nuts when you consider the other players we just signed or will soon re-sign.

If he does indeed go, I wish him all the luck.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

That was before his injury. OD seems smart enough to know his market value went down after that.

14. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

From what I recall, he was asking to be paid as a top 5 TE. I don't think he warrants that money, but I would like to keep him on the team for about 3 million a year + incentives. A guy like him who has a lot of uncertainty around his production could be just fine with an incentive laden deal. If he does well, he makes lots of money, if he gets hurt again, he only makes 3 mill. Seems reasonable to me.

15. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Are you saying hes a great blocker?

Are you saying he wont take the vet minimum? If so, we all know that.

On your third point, I would rather have those two over an overpaid guy with major knee surgeries. OD's knees are shot and I would be surprised if one more doesnt end his career. I dont mind signing him but it has to be extremely incentive based and low salary. I know theres no chance of this happening which is why he will walk.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Maybe not, he wasn't smart enough to jump all over that deal he reportedly had back in 2009 before his injury, which was it turns the third season-ending knee injury of his career. OD had it in his head he was an All-Pro TE, when in reality he was just an alternate who got to play because somebody else got hurt or sick or something and couldn't make the game.
    I really like OD as a person and he's done well in Kubiaks system because he's such a good fit, but he is a scheme-dependant player who just has gotten an inflated idea about his own market value.

17. Rey

Rey Guest

I'd probably trade Dreesen and let Casey and Grahm play more before I let OD walk.

Initially I wanted to let him go, but after seeing him last season compared to Dreesen, they are not really in the same leauge as far as route running goes and presenting themselves as an open target for Shammy.

18. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Dreesen has no trade value.

19. Rey

Rey Guest

I doubt that.

He may not fetch anything of significant value, but I think there are teams that would not mind trading a late round pick for him.

20. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

He was a 6th round pick in 2005 by the NY Jets. So if they got anything 5th or higher for him, I'd say they did pretty well. However, he's cheap at only ~1 mill a year so it's not like they couldn't keep him and OD around.