Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Overrated-Underrated

MightyTExan

It's go time!
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9542704

Houston Texans
Overrated: Eric Moulds caught 81 passes for the Bills last season, but his per-catch average of 10.1 tied for the lowest of his career. That's a sign of a slowdown. The Texans like him as a No. 2 receiver, but if he slows down even more they might not get that out of him. He is no longer a top receiver.

Underrated: In his four seasons, David Carr has not yet lived up to the hype. But a lot of that has to do with a supporting cast. He now has a good one. Look for Carr to move to the next level. He's a better quarterback than people think.

:spy:

NATHANHALE

Waterboy
MightyTExan said:

Houston Texans
Overrated: Eric Moulds caught 81 passes for the Bills last season, but his per-catch average of 10.1 tied for the lowest of his career. That's a sign of a slowdown. The Texans like him as a No. 2 receiver, but if he slows down even more they might not get that out of him. He is no longer a top receiver.

Underrated: In his four seasons, David Carr has not yet lived up to the hype. But a lot of that has to do with a supporting cast. He now has a good one. Look for Carr to move to the next level. He's a better quarterback than people think.

...alright, I'm excited, another thread with Carr's name in it and--the 'excuse' and the 'promise'

pittbull

Rookie
You have to look at the style of Offense the Bills ran. Not exactly the explosive style they were used to in the past. Also, had a rookie QB last season, and half of the year before. New Coaching also with a change in philosophy. If he gets the average he had in Buffalo, as the Texans #2, I will take that all day long. Andre is the go to guy, and his catches may be around 75-80 this season, but the yardage will show the difference. Carr will have a good year. Not great, but will start to steer the people in the thought process of "maybe this guy can get it done!" Think about this, with all the sacks and bad lines that Carr had, he has protected the ball adequately on a bad team. Int's can definitely go down, and TD numbers can increase, but someone experiencing what he went through, you would think his numbers would be a ton worst. Look for 24 TD and 10 INt. Go Carr! Prove your hurtful fans wrong!

Brandon420tx

Flounder
MightyTExan said:

Houston Texans

wheres the smiley that rolls over and over and can't stop laughing... I need that right now.

AFD1717

Waterboy
I could maybe see Moulds being overrated if you were expecting him to be a true number one WR like he has been in the past, but on our team he is perfect. We have a guy in AJ who will command lots of attention from the defense and Moulds will just have to do what he is best at - be physical, get open, and catch the ball. Plus, he can provide some veteran leadership to a young WR corps.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Brandon420tx said:
wheres the smiley that rolls over and over and can't stop laughing... I need that right now.
Don't forget to go
woohoo
woohoohoo
woohoo
woohoohoo
Damn that was funny. Your post, not mine.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
AFD1717 said:
I could maybe see Moulds being overrated if you were expecting him to be a true number one WR like he has been in the past, but on our team he is perfect. We have a guy in AJ who will command lots of attention from the defense and Moulds will just have to do what he is best at - be physical, get open, and catch the ball. Plus, he can provide some veteran leadership to a young WR corps.
STANDING OVATION!!! I couldn't agree more.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
AFD1717 said:
I could maybe see Moulds being overrated if you were expecting him to be a true number one WR like he has been in the past, but on our team he is perfect.
Exactly--pretty silly to call a guy who has been a consistantly successful #1 overrated as a #2

We have a guy in AJ who will command lots of attention from the defense and Moulds will just have to do what he is best at - be physical, get open, and catch the ball. Plus, he can provide some veteran leadership to a young WR corps.
This guy also overlooks the fact that Moulds is known as one of the hardest working offseason WR's and in fantastic shape. Sure slowing down due to age is a possible theory but knowing his workout habits not even the most plausible when examining the Bills as a whole. AJ, Gaffney and Bradford all saw their yards per reception go down dramatically last year--that was obviously the design and execution of the O rather than anyone slowing down due to age. Moulds similarly suffered thru a just as bad O last year with an even more unsettled QB situation.

It also appears from Carr's comments on AJ's route running that Moulds is already having a positive impact on the team without having caught pass one yet.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
DocBar said:
STANDING OVATION!!! I couldn't agree more.
I agree as well. I think moving to another team alone has him pumped up. I mean come on he's been playing for the Bills for gosh sakes. I'm surprised he stayed there that long. Now he's got AJ, outstanding facilities and fans that think he's one of the saviors before the season even starts. Man, I'm even getting pumped!:whip:

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
infantrycak said:
It also appears from Carr's comments on AJ's route running that Moulds is already having a positive impact on the team without having caught pass one yet.

Might also be due to it being The Big Thing for K. Shanahan. He is obsessed with precise route running, eveny time, even if the play isn't going to you. He says it is key for the offense to work (and says it is the way he was able to play in college even though he is a slow guy).

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Nothing more than Sportsline pumping out articles to get content out to their fantasy customers in my opinion.

As a fantasy owner I will be targeting Carr and Moulds as mid to late rounds. There is value in both of them from a fantasy standpoint.

Thanks to all. I saw this thread when first posted and my only thought was great another carr bashing thread. I guess EM has more supports than Carr has detractors? Or are more fans starting to see the light and the fact football is a team sport. Must face it EM is a great pick-up for this team even if he does'nt catch one pass this season, he is setting a example for our young team, and "coaching" as a player. If you ask me it might be most important thing he does this year. I like it when a vet. acts like a vet. I say I now love EM as a Texan and the Underachiver rating is not fare to a class act that is EM so far.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry said:
Thanks to all. I saw this thread when first posted and my only thought was great another carr bashing thread. I guess EM has more supports than Carr has detractors? Or are more fans starting to see the light and the fact football is a team sport. Must face it EM is a great pick-up for this team even if he does'nt catch one pass this season, he is setting a example for our young team, and "coaching" as a player. If you ask me it might be most important thing he does this year. I like it when a vet. acts like a vet. I say I now love EM as a Texan and the Underachiver rating is not fare to a class act that is EM so far.
Umm.. I wouldn't go as far as saying that.:) I mean at least 80-90 receptions to go along with the mentoring aspect, right:yahoo: I see your point though and I concur.:redtowel:

Hulk75

Veteran
pittbull said:
You have to look at the style of Offense the Bills ran. Not exactly the explosive style they were used to in the past. Also, had a rookie QB last season, and half of the year before. New Coaching also with a change in philosophy. If he gets the average he had in Buffalo, as the Texans #2, I will take that all day long. Andre is the go to guy, and his catches may be around 75-80 this season, but the yardage will show the difference. Carr will have a good year. Not great, but will start to steer the people in the thought process of "maybe this guy can get it done!" Think about this, with all the sacks and bad lines that Carr had, he has protected the ball adequately on a bad team. Int's can definitely go down, and TD numbers can increase, but someone experiencing what he went through, you would think his numbers would be a ton worst. Look for 24 TD and 10 INt. Go Carr! Prove your hurtful fans wrong!
..............:) :highfive: :fans: :trophy:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Kaiser Toro said:
Nothing more than Sportsline pumping out articles to get content out to their fantasy customers in my opinion.

As a fantasy owner I will be targeting Carr and Moulds as mid to late rounds. There is value in both of them from a fantasy standpoint.
Now THAT is a stand up, no BS thing to say. I applaud you

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Titan "Tack" Fan said:
I haven't really watched the guy play so i dont know. I hope he works out for you though, well atleast 14 games a year :)
Yeah, we won't even bother starting him in the other two games because we'll already have clinched our division.

:stirpot:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I just reread this and wonder how Moulds can be overrated and Carr underrated but with a better supporting cast should be better....isn't Moulds the main supporting cast member we brought in? Or are is he talking about the coaches???

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would also like to add that, IMHO, Pitts is the most underrated player on the Texans and I don't really think we have anybody overrated. Just look at the player rankings. If anyone, it would be...AJ. For all the hype and whatever the circumstances, he hasn't put up great numbers at all. I'm gonna get crucified for saying that.

wags

Veteran
Underrated: Seth Payne

Nobody ever talks about him or gives him credit as a good lineman. He gets dogged on the board more than he gets credit.

Overrated: Flanagan

People on this board think we have fixed our OL partly because of him. I can't call him our savior until at least a few games.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
wags said:
Underrated: Seth Payne

Nobody ever talks about him or gives him credit as a good lineman. He gets dogged on the board more than he gets credit.

Overrated: Flanagan

People on this board think we have fixed our OL partly because of him. I can't call him our savior until at least a few games.
I think Payne gets close to 50/50, but I could be wrong.
Flanagan will be worth his salt. He's a mauler and if injured, I'm sure he would be a great mentor for Hodgeden(sp?). I like the pick up.

Underrated: Jeb Putzier

Should have 60+ catches and 7+ touchdowns. Not a Gates or Gonzales but should establish himself as a very good, 2nd tier TE.

Overrated: No one

The only player with any expectations is A. Johnson and he should have a very solid season.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
the wonger need food said:

Should have 60+ catches and 7+ touchdowns. Not a Gates or Gonzales but should establish himself as a very good, 2nd tier TE.

Overrated: No one

The only player with any expectations is A. Johnson and he should have a very solid season.
Isn't JP already established as a 2nd tier TE? And I can name at least 22 players with fairly high expectations. Seems like an odd statement by you on AJ.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

If Putzier ends the year with 60+ catches and 7+ TD's you're going to be the founding member of the Carr fan club as he will have had a serious breakout year--likely top 10+ QB.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
infantrycak said:
If Putzier ends the year with 60+ catches and 7+ TD's you're going to be the founding member of the Carr fan club as he will have had a serious breakout year--likely top 10+ QB.
And so would Putzier have a breakout season. Here's his stats.
Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2002 Denver Broncos 3 1 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0
2003 Denver Broncos 4 0 4 34 8.5 13 0 0 0 3
2004 Denver Broncos 16 5 36 572 15.9 39 2 10 0 27
2005 Denver Broncos 16 4 37 481 13.0 32 0 8 0 28
TOTAL 3910 77 1087 14.1 39 2 18 0 58
He would dang near match his career totals in one season.

DocBar said:
And so would Putzier have a breakout season. Here's his stats.
2002 Denver Broncos 3 1 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0
2003 Denver Broncos 4 0 4 34 8.5 13 0 0 0 3
2004 Denver Broncos 16 5 36 572 15.9 39 2 10 0 27
2005 Denver Broncos 16 4 37 481 13.0 32 0 8 0 28
TOTAL 3910 77 1087 14.1 39 2 18 0 58
He would dang near match his career totals in one season.
Billy Miller's stats in Carr's rookie season...

2002 Houston Texans 16 7 51 613 12.0 42 3 8 2 33

DocBar said:
Isn't JP already established as a 2nd tier TE? And I can name at least 22 players with fairly high expectations. Seems like an odd statement by you on AJ.
JP is more like a 3rd tier guy right now. I would put guys like Witten, Crumpler and Stevens in the 2nd tier.

Nationally, no one other than Johnson is coming into the season with any expectations really. You could maybe put Domanick in there as well since the fantasy geeks like him so much. Nationally, the team as a whole is viewed as a bunch of losers and not expected to do much. Of course our expectations are skewed.

infantrycak said:
That's what I'm thinking.

If Carr finally steps up and performs like he is being paid to, I will gladly put my name on the fan club charter.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
JP is more like a 3rd tier guy right now. I would put guys like Witten, Crumpler and Stevens in the 2nd tier.

Nationally, no one other than Johnson is coming into the season with any expectations really. You could maybe put Domanick in there as well since the fantasy geeks like him so much. Nationally, the team as a whole is viewed as a bunch of losers and not expected to do much. Of course our expectations are skewed.
I've been seeing a lot on Carr and Mario, also. Maybe not fair for Mario cuz of draft situation(you seem to be omitting that on purpose). Also been quite a bit on other MB's about Wand, Peek, Babin and how that Wong guy is gonna come back. I know that's not ESPN, but it is some interest. FANS seem to know a lot about our team.