Ourlads take on Vince Young " If the Raiders don’t take him, he may free fall..."

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by gtexan02, Feb 28, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Al Davis is enamored with Young’s speed and athletic ability. The fact is, Vince Young is a development NFL quarterback prospect that rates as a second or third round selection. A rare athlete that makes plays with his legs. In the NFL you make plays as a QB with your arm. Young hasn’t demonstrated that he can read complex defenses or compete a pass through a small window of opportunity. Will a team invest an early pick and millions of dollars in a developmental quarterback that may not be ready until he is eligible for free agency? A top five athlete should not be confused with a top five position player. If the Raiders don’t take him, he may free fall out of the first round once the total evaluations are tabulated.

heres their full mock: http://www.ourlads.com/2006NFLMockDraft.html

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

PS: This was pre-combine, results will shift significantly now.

3. cap1

cap1 All Pro

Wow, Be ready for some backlash on this Message Board.

4. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

That is actually a fair assessment of him. He is a top 5 athlete, but not necessarily a top 5 position player.

5. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

So exactly which college defenses are considered "complex"?

6. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

LSU's defense when they won the National Championship was pretty complex.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the above, but I do think ourlads has been a consistently respectable scouting agency.

8. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

UGA typically runs a complex D.
    I think THE Ohio State was also pretty complex in nature.

9. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

If that is so....didnt VY read and beat that defense with his arm??

10. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Passing

CMP/ATT/YDS/CMP%/LNG/TD/INT/RAT
    18 /29 /270/ 62.1 /63/2 /2 /149.24

Rushing
    ATT /YDS /AVG/LNG/TD
    20 /76 /3.8 /32/0

Or in a word - yes.

11. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Try to compare NFL type defenses with college defenses, and continue to kid yourselves if you think they are anything but day and night.

12. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

Ohio state had nfl draft picks all throughout their secondary.

their secondary had a probable 1st round cb and 2nd round safety.

their linebackers were amazing. hawk is top 5 caliber, carpernter 1st rounder, schlegel mid rounder.

one of their dlinemen just tied the record for reps on 225 at combine.

not as "night and day" as you make it out to be. their defense was just as talented as ours in the secondary and even more so at linebacker.

13. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

My point was that no college player has ever had to read an NFL defense in a game situation. Young is no more behind-the-8-ball than any other college QB when it comes to "complex defenses". It's just one of those group-think generalizations that's really popular right now.

14. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Jackpot.

15. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Anybody that argues against this is going to look pretty stupid doing so.

For the record, I'm okay with Vince dropping. I'm actually hoping for it. Dallas sits at #18.

16. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Is ourlads.com affiliated with cracksmokers.com? Do these guy HONESTLY think VY is going to drop out of the 1st round? Does anyone on this board think so?

I would be shocked if he drops out of the top 10. There is NO way he falls below Dallas at 18.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

There appears to be a double standard. Not one college player has had to play against an NFL offense, or Defense....

Now we look at Vince's negatives, and say that he isn't a top ten pick, isn't a #1 overall kind of talent... that's just silly. "Young hasn't demonstrated that he can read complex defenses, or compete a pass through a small window of opportunity"....... just out of curiosity, has David Carr??
    REggie Bush is the Consensus #1, even though he has none..... I repeat none of the characteristics of any running back taken with the number 1 overall..... in the history of the draft?? He's small, he doesn't run between the tackles, he hasn't shown that he can "carry the load"(#1 overall running backs carry the load)....... and he has to get to the corner. What he saw @ Texas is comparable to the worst defenses he can expect to see in the NFL. Reggie is most dangerous as a slot reciever, so... we want to spend the #1 overall on a slot reciever?? a #3 reciever??

Vince isn't perfect... I wouldn't start him right away, mainly because I think with David Carr, we can have a winning season next year....... but David has got to play at a level he hasn't played at for 16 games. If he can't do it, then I'd be more than willing to admit we are rebuilding, and put Vince in there.
    I can understand if someone doesn't think Vince is a top 3 prospect...... but to say he won't go in the top ten???

18. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

If VY free falls, I hope that he will land in Dallas.

19. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

Just to let you guys know how accurate that site is:
    -They have Greenway over Hawk
    -DeMeco Ryans, an LB thats no bigger than some NFL Safeties, going to the Browns 3-4 D
    -TE Vernon Davis falls out of the Top 10 and gets drafted by the Eagles! WTF happened to LJ Smith? And on their explanation they list that RB White is also considered, ok wtf happened to Westbrook?
    -They have the Falcons picking WR in the 1st Rd for a 3rd year in a row. Not only do they now know they suck at that but they've also seen that 3 WRs in the 1st won't win you games. Not to mention they've got greater needs on D.
    -DeMario Minter in the 1st? OK, at least the know how to spell REACH.
    -They say the Pats will make a huge reach and get a 3rd round corner in the 1st over any other LB which is what they really need.
    -Mercedes Lewis to the Bengals! This guy is out of the 1st round folks.
    -No way DeAngelo last until late 1st round
    -No way Kelly Jennings makes it to the 1st round

Its ok when making a mock to throw in one of those unlikely but still possibly could happen, but don't make a mock with 25 of the picks being like that.

The point of making mocks isn't to be creative, its to put down what you truely think will happen, after analyzing team needs and the players available and all other varuables.

whoever brought up that site I'd suggest to stop going to it or you will be totally lost and confused, come late April.

20. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I don't hail Young as our savior, and I don't think he is necessarily better than Cutler or Leinart, but calling a guy with this much upside a 2nd or 3rd rounder seems kind of suspect to me.