Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Our TEs + Heath Miller

If the BPA at #13 is Heath Miller, then I say we should grab him. But if there is an awesome defender that we could use at #13, then I say grab that defender over Miller if that defender is there. The only position I exclude from the BPA list at #13 is CB because it is no longer a pressing need on the team IMO.

I think some folks just think its TE or bust . There are many ways to get things done . I hate to say it but the best team in the last 20 years was Jimmie Johnsons Cowboys . Yeah they had a TE but the players they had on the OL and DL were impressive . Their backups signed big Free Agent contracts . Joe Gibb's Skins same way . 3 Super Bowls 3 QBs . If you win upfront you usually win . Trends come and go but that is Football law .

footballcom1 is DJ Boyer. Apparently, Miller had surgery on a sports hernia. I haven't heard of this before and it may drive down Miller's draft slotting if it was a big operation. I'll try to find some more info on it.

footballcom1 said:
Yes Miller had surgery on this and with sports hernias it is tricky. Some bounce back immediatly with very little adverse affect and others it can be a lingering problem. As of right now everything looks fine for Heath Miller and he should be a high pick in the draft.

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1636177&postcount=45

The fact is that Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys operated in the infancy of the salary cap. I believe it went into effect prior to the '94 season. Teams are just no longer able to stockpile high-paid talent at every position anymore. Therefore teams have to find bargains whenever possible. The Patriots do this better than any other team in the NFL right now. Look at where the Cowboys were after their SB runs. The reality of the salary cap started to sink in, and their once young talented high paid players had become old veterans on their last legs. In this era of the NFL I believe a team has two options for success. One being that you can stockpile your team with tons of high quality high paid players for a year or two, and make a run for the SB. The problem is that you're left in cap hell, and forced to rebuild. The second option is to slowly and steadily build your team mostly through the draft, and pick up some bargain free agents here and there that fit your gameplan then "coach them up" into better players. Through this method you can sustain a high level of success, and be in the hunt for a SB title every year. I, for one, opt for the second option.
The fact of the matter is that the days of being able to fill your roster with talented players three deep at every position is long gone in the NFL thanks to the advent of free agency and the salary cap. There won't be anyone mistaking one of today's teams for the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, 49ers, etc. of the past. With today's teams you're going to have several new faces from year to year. Young players are counted on to contribute in some capacity whether it be a starting role, a backup, or as a special teamer. It's a new NFL that really isn't all that new.

Tight ends have benefitted the most from the newly emphasized chuck rule. More and more TEs are becoming primary receivers on their respected teams (Gates, Gonzalez, Heap, Shockey, Crumpler, E. Johnson, R. McMichael, Witten, Winslow Jr., and even Wiggins while Moss was injured). I see this trend continuing. TEs are also safety valves for QBs which helps when you have a suspect o-line such as the Texans. I believe tight ends should be far more recognized than just as 'complimentary players'.

:howdy: So you have to decide what takes time to develop and what can be plugged in . THe point about the Pokes is if you win upfront you will be good .

I thought a "sports hernia" was what Joppru was diagnosed with initially. It's also known as Gilmore's groin.

I don't think people are saying TE or bust (most of us)... depending on what you consider "good" ... For me, I consider "good" is one that can block and catch. I am not looking for Tony Gonzalez for the Texans.. we don't need that...

we need TE's that know how to block and go out and get open to move the chains or get open in the red zone.. What Vinny stated earlier about the patriots
TE getting 6 or 7 TD catches... well if we had that production out of our TE's we win a couple more games.

Maybe we get that from Joppru...

If you want to see the importance of TE's rewatch the Texan games this season and see how many burned up on 3rd down :hairpull:

Wolf said:
I don't think people are saying TE or bust (most of us)... depending on what you consider "good" ... For me, I consider "good" is one that can block and catch. I am not looking for Tony Gonzalez for the Texans.. we don't need that...

we need TE's that know how to block and go out and get open to move the chains or get open in the red zone.. What Vinny stated earlier about the patriots
TE getting 6 or 7 TD catches... well if we had that production out of our TE's we win a couple more games.

Maybe we get that from Joppru...

If you want to see the importance of TE's rewatch the Texan games this season and see how many burned up on 3rd down :hairpull:

Thanks for bringing this discussion back to its main thrust. A TE with good overall skills is a key component to a balanced, effective offense. As I look at our needs, I merely thought that TE was probably our weakest overall position on offense. The argument could be made for C, RG or even #2 WR, but it's just my opinion. Heath Miller is projected heads over others in crop, that doesn't mean Texans grade him out as tops. We chose Joppru over Witten...and to date injuries haven't allowed us to compare (except our guy is injury prone and their guy is producing).

Texan in Japan said:
As I look at our needs, I merely thought that TE was probably our weakest overall position on offense.

I agree with you, the TE position is the least productive position on the team period.

Facts:

3129.jpg

Mark Bruener
Team: Texans
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 258
Birthdate: 9/16/1972
Birthplace: Olympia, WA
College: Washington
NFL Experience: 10th season

Wow!!
Rec Yds Avg TD
4 42 13.0 0

4868.jpg

Billy Miller
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 245
Birthdate: 4/24/1977
Birthplace: Los Angeles, CA
College: USC
NFL Experience: 6th season

Rec Yds Avg TD
17 178 10.5 1

^^If I'm not mistaking, didn't this dude use to be Carr's go to and favorite target in Carr's first year?? Damn, what happened :thud:

The TE position is horrible and there is no presence in the middle of the field.

LikeABoss said:
I agree with you, the TE position is the least productive position on the team period.

Facts:

3129.jpg

Mark Bruener
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 258
Birthdate: 9/16/1972
Birthplace: Olympia, WA
College: Washington
NFL Experience: 10th season

Wow!!
Rec Yds Avg TD
4 42 13.0 0

4868.jpg

Billy Miller
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 245
Birthdate: 4/24/1977
Birthplace: Los Angeles, CA
College: USC
NFL Experience: 6th season

Rec Yds Avg TD
17 178 10.5 1

^^If I'm not mistaking, didn't this dude use to be Carr's go to and favorite target in Carr's first year?? Damn, what happened :thud:

The TE position is horrible and there is no presence in the middle of the field.

Agree! Nice facts Boss!!

We need our own Wycheck (465 catches 4793 yards in eight seasons)

I like Heath Miller in the first and Cody McCarty in the fourth

What year was Oiler great Billy Johnson drafted? 15th. If I use your logic then surely that proves no team should ever draft any player at any time.

Also, Wycheck was drafted to play fullback by the Skins. It didn't pan out till much later and with another team (Oilers).

I meant that we need a player who can play like #89, not one whose official bio will match line for line

I would be hard pressed to make a case that any team wouldn't be better off with a player like Wycheck, much less a blossoming franchise looking for an identity...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
Tight ends have benefitted the most from the newly emphasized chuck rule. More and more TEs are becoming primary receivers on their respected teams (Gates, Gonzalez, Heap, Shockey, Crumpler, E. Johnson, R. McMichael, Witten, Winslow Jr., and even Wiggins while Moss was injured). I see this trend continuing. TEs are also safety valves for QBs which helps when you have a suspect o-line such as the Texans. I believe tight ends should be far more recognized than just as 'complimentary players'.

While I don't argue that tight ends can be good safety valves - so can RBs, incidentally - I think your point about primary receivers is diluted by the WRs on those teams you mentioned.

Chargers (McCardell/Parker)
Chiefs (Kennison/Morton)
Baltimore (Taylor/Moore)
Giants (Hilliard/Toomer)
Falcons (Price/White)
49ers (Wilson/Lloyd - I had to go to the website for these names)
Dolphins (Booker/Chambers - these too)
Cowboys (Keyshaun/Morgan)
Browns (Bryant/Northcutt)
VikingsWithNoMoss (Burleson/Campbell)

Teams with great TEs or the phone list of Mike Williams' agent - you be the judge!

Back