Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Our TE Depth

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
As you all know, Tight Ends are an important piece of our offense. Last year we carried 3 plus Casey as a hybrid. This year we only carry 2 plus Casey? It seems to me like we should've carried an extra TE this year. I used to laugh at Smithiak for drafting TEs all the time too but clearly they are a necessary component in what we're doing. We need to have 3 quality TEs on the roster to play Houston Texans football.

I know we wanted to carry an extra WR (Holliday) but clearly if this position is so important to the team you have to make concessions.

Graham's latest concussion just got me on a rant... it seems that in the games him and OD have missed our offense is clearly limited in what they can do.

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
We were already a big underdog, but w out Graham we are toast I'm afraid. Que Casey at TE talk as if thats even the same thing as Graham in at TE.

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
We lose Dreessen, Ryans, and the right side of our line..... AND bam, those exact 3 areas is where we were hit with all our injuries. Lady Luck is a *****.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
As you all know, Tight Ends are an important piece of our offense. Last year we carried 3 plus Casey as a hybrid. This year we only carry 2 plus Casey? It seems to me like we should've carried an extra TE this year. I used to laugh at Smithiak for drafting TEs all the time too but clearly they are a necessary component in what we're doing. We need to have 3 quality TEs on the roster to play Houston Texans football.

I know we wanted to carry an extra WR (Holliday) but clearly if this position is so important to the team you have to make concessions.

Graham's latest concussion just got me on a rant... it seems that in the games him and OD have missed our offense is clearly limited in what they can do.
Against NE we used Andrew Gardner as a third "TE" he never went out for a pass, I don't think & he absolutely blew in pass coverage.

Personally, I thought we should have put KDub at TE & managed his blocking assignments. Yeah, Ninkovich would have tore him a new one, but we could have used all the plays that put two/three TEs in the receiving pattern.

We could have lined him up wide, outside the DE/OLB & had him crash down on him, or helped him with a RB/FB chip...

I think it would have been a better option than an OT who everybody knows isn't going out for a pass.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Against NE we used Andrew Gardner as a third "TE" he never went out for a pass, I don't think & he absolutely blew in pass coverage.

Personally, I thought we should have put KDub at TE & managed his blocking assignments. Yeah, Ninkovich would have tore him a new one, but we could have used all the plays that put two/three TEs in the receiving pattern.

We could have lined him up wide, outside the DE/OLB & had him crash down on him, or helped him with a RB/FB chip...

I think it would have been a better option than an OT who everybody knows isn't going out for a pass.
Haha Gardner did go out on a pattern (unless I mistake it for another game).
He ran the route so well Schaub threw the ball away.
To be fair, Schaub was pressure he could only make the throw only if Gardner can be wide open.

Tailgate

Fall of Hame
He ran the route so well Schaub threw the ball away.
To be fair, Schaub was pressure he could only make the throw only if Gardner can be wide open.
Yea, 1st and goal in 3rd quarter. Fooled everyone! :kitten:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well hell, forget everything I said. Gardner went out on one pass. I don't understand why our three TE packages didn't work, or our two TE packages with Gardner taking Graham's spot.

WTF was I thinking.

We don't even need Graham, we've got Gardner. Thanks 76 for showing me the error of my ways. Thank you for convincing me that Gardner in the line up is a viable option to keeping this offense on track, on schedule.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
We lose Dreessen, Ryans, and the right side of our line..... AND bam, those exact 3 areas is where we were hit with all our injuries. Lady Luck is a *****.
Man, that really sucks. But then we should blame the FO. Many of us here thought that it's prudent to either carry a TE or to have a decent_to-good FB, maybe both.

They do have Clutter on the team, but for some reason, he barely sees the field on offense.

He did have some kind of injury lately, but I don't know how severe.

The guy did contribute some for the Bears last year, and he did a little better than Vickers used to do for us.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Well hell, forget everything I said. Gardner went out on one pass. I don't understand why our three TE packages didn't work, or our two TE packages with Gardner taking Graham's spot.

WTF was I thinking.

We don't even need Graham, we've got Gardner. Thanks 76 for showing me the error of my ways. Thank you for convincing me that Gardner in the line up is a viable option to keeping this offense on track, on schedule.
Who knows; I mean it might work the second time around on the other side.
Maybe their defender on the left side takes a snap.
Maybe the second time around is not too big for Gardner any longer.

bo orlando

Waterboy

It's funny, I remember the year Kubiak drafted Anthony Hill and Casey everybody was freaking out. Then when Kubiak got Graham there was more freakout. Now the freakout is "OMG WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIGHT ENDS!"

Maybe that soft idiot Kubiak actually knows what he's doing or something.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
It's funny, I remember the year Kubiak drafted Anthony Hill and Casey everybody was freaking out. Then when Kubiak got Graham there was more freakout. Now the freakout is "OMG WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIGHT ENDS!"

I'm still fuming they didn't take Brandon Myers out of Iowa.
He was drafted by the Raiders in the sixth round, #202 overall.

I evaluated that he was a better blocker than Hill.
Actually I thought he was the best blocking TE I saw out of that draft.
I even said at the time that I've never enjoyed watching a college TE blocking like this in the last few years.

And he also showed good promise in his receiving skills.
Neither was asked to do much of that in college, but I saw Myers running good routes and showed the ability to catch balls away from bis body.

He got to play some in his rookie year and kept on developing.
Look up his stats, you will be surprised by his production this year.
Well let me go ahead and do it.

79 catches for 806 yards and 4 TDs.

Vinny

shiny happy fan

you really think that taking Anthony Hill is a sign that Kubiak is doing something well?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I'm still fuming they didn't take Brandon Myers out of Iowa.
He was drafted by the Raiders in the sixth round, #202 overall.

I evaluated that he was a better blocker than Hill.
Actually I thought he was the best blocking TE I saw out of that draft.
I even said at the time that I've never enjoyed watching a college TE blocking like this in the last few years.

And he also showed good promise in his receiving skills.
Neither was asked to do much of that in college, but I saw Myers running good routes and showed the ability to catch balls away from bis body.

He got to play some in his rookie year and kept on developing.
Look up his stats, you will be surprised by his production this year.
Well let me go ahead and do it.

79 catches for 806 yards and 4 TDs.
Not surprised. Iowa is a TE factory.