Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Our QB will be in a new system in 06

Nighthawk

Rookie
Just thinking more on the keep Carr or the trade Carr and get Young ideas and I am reminded that no matter who our QB is this year he'll be learning a new system, a new playbook, probably a whole new shooting match.

It does shed a slightly different light on the Carr vs. Young argument. They'll both be rookies in the new system.

This reduces Carrs edge considerably, seems to me.

YodAa

Rookie
i don't think (Assuming Kubiak) so since Carr is very similar to Plummer and Plummer had an All Pro year. I don't think the system could be too hard to learn since Plummer had a 91.2 QB Rating when he 1st moved to Denver. Get Carr an OL and we get a 91.2 year

Nighthawk

Rookie
YodAa said:
i don't think (Assuming Kubiak) so since Carr is very similar to Plummer and Plummer had an All Pro year. I don't think the system could be too hard to learn since Plummer had a 91.2 QB Rating when he 1st moved to Denver. Get Carr an OL and we get a 91.2 year
He's still gotta learn a new (non Capers) system, which means all new all the time. He and Young will be starting from the same point. And if they get Young then they could even do more things with him, set him up for success as they implement the new system. Carr only has a big advantage if the system brought in is tailored for him, as our current system must have been (and in which he didn't do all that well).

Grid

All Pro
Its a good arguement.. ive considered too Carr will be learning a new system, and will have to relearn some basics...and break some bad habits.. so the learning curve for Carr vs. Young isnt so different.

I still think that Carr has the potential to become a great QB though.. and he will not only be cheaper than getting Young.. but not using that 1st pick on Young will also allow us to either trade down and get more draft picks, or get a playmaker who can really help us reach the next level (other than young).

So.. yah.. its a good arguement... but doesnt change my stance at the moment.

But if we were to take Young.. it would at least be a comforting thought :)

Ihategeeks

Veteran
Jake Plummer was a very talented player on the worst franchise in football that displayed the consistant ability to play QB

David Carr doesn't

Man, this David Carr stuff is so much like the Joey Harrington stuff
Oh he needs a better line, oh he is in the wrong system, oh excuse excuse excuse.

you know why you never need to make excuses for good players in bad years?
Because they're good players.

If Carr was a good player no one would care what stats he had or how many wins. He's crap. Harrington is crap, Ramsey is crap, that entire draft was CRAP.

As soon as our teams stop dumping money into these worhless players trying to build around them the sooner these figurative cancers stop sucking the life out of the teams.

Yeah sure, if you surround Joey or David with an Colts line up of surrounding cast they would look nice. But so does Jim Sorgi. These teams need a franchise QB ,not a caretaker on a superbowl team.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Nighthawk said:
He's still gotta learn a new (non Capers) system, which means all new all the time. He and Young will be starting from the same point. And if they get Young then they could even do more things with him, set him up for success as they implement the new system. Carr only has a big advantage if the system brought in is tailored for him, as our current system must have been (and in which he didn't do all that well).
And which system was this...the seven step drop and be sacked/pounded or
the three step drop, chunk and duck and be pounded.
Get real...Carr has never had a chance.
Our biggest problem is being addressed now, lets just hope we make the right choice this time. And I am not talking about the draft.

:coffee:

Daonly

Waterboy
Nighthawk said:
Just thinking more on the keep Carr or the trade Carr and get Young ideas and I am reminded that no matter who our QB is this year he'll be learning a new system, a new playbook, probably a whole new shooting match.

It does shed a slightly different light on the Carr vs. Young argument. They'll both be rookies in the new system.

This reduces Carrs edge considerably, seems to me.
Will Vince Young will be better than Carr when he steps on the field in 07? The Answer is No. I feel like this team can be like The Bears this year next year. IM not the biggest Carr fan; but check this out; You don't spend millions of dollars on a player, groom him as a NFL QB; One of the best Weight Training Facilities in the NFL. Carr arm was strong coming out of college, now it's 5x stronger. Read after Read, Hit after Hit, Sack after Sack, in a coaching system that didn't get us no where, is all experience that counts for something. When the new coaching regime coming into town, we can't wait to teach a Rookie QB how to become a NFL QB and to improve his mechanics then to learn a new NFL Playbook,and to be a leader of a Team and try to lead them to the playoffs the first go around? If Young was Lienhart, Maybe? but not a Shot Gun College Offense Player who his running abilities are included in the playbook. When Young gets drafted. He'll be a Clip Board QB his 1st year, and maybe his 2nd year. We don't have time to baby-sit someone making 50 million. We need results now. If Kubiak is the coach with that system and we take Reggie Bush, that's a match made in heaven. people say we don't need a #1 overall pick for that system to have a 1000 yard rusher. Maybe is because there team been in the middle of the bunch and contending where they couldn't get a high draft pick running back, just think he have a chance to get one of the great runners in the History of College Football to go with his system? Wow Just Wow. Also for those for think trading down is the logical choice; I heard today the Bucs Traded down for multiple picks for the Cowboys to select Tony Dorsett. Bucs picks turn into busts and the rest is history.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Ihategeeks said:
Jake Plummer was a very talented player on the worst franchise in football that displayed the consistant ability to play QB

David Carr doesn't

Man, this David Carr stuff is so much like the Joey Harrington stuff
Oh he needs a better line, oh he is in the wrong system, oh excuse excuse excuse.

you know why you never need to make excuses for good players in bad years?
Because they're good players.

If Carr was a good player no one would care what stats he had or how many wins. He's crap. Harrington is crap, Ramsey is crap, that entire draft was CRAP.

As soon as our teams stop dumping money into these worhless players trying to build around them the sooner these figurative cancers stop sucking the life out of the teams.

Yeah sure, if you surround Joey or David with an Colts line up of surrounding cast they would look nice. But so does Jim Sorgi. These teams need a franchise QB ,not a caretaker on a superbowl team.
Gimme a break.

Plummer (6 seasons with Cards)

COMP ATT PCT YD TD INT
157 296 53.0 2203 15 15
324 547 59.2 3737 17 20
201 381 52.8 2111 9 24
270 475 56.8 2946 13 21
304 525 57.9 3653 18 14
284 530 53.6 2972 18 20

Carr (4 seasons)

COMP ATT PCT YD TD INT
233 444 52.5 2592 9 15
167 295 56.6 2013 9 13
285 466 61.2 3531 16 14
256 423 60.5 2488 14 11

Take a look at what Plummer has done since going to Denver...Plummer did nothing in Arizona, Carr has put up better numbers here in Houston than Plummer did in Arizona. Where some of you get this stuff about Plummer being such an awesome QB on a crappy team while in Arizona I have no idea. I guess if Plummer was such a stud in Arizona Carr must be the next Montana...

Plummer (3 seasons with Denver)
COMP ATT PCT YD TD INT
189 302 62.6 2182 15 7
303 521 58.2 4089 27 20
277 456 60.7 3366 18 7

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
May be some of these guys will get their wish and so will Carr. There are a lot of rumors and denials from Pat Hill that he is going to be interviewed by Al Davis for the Oakland job. Pat is constantly denying it, but you never know. I would bet that if AL signed Pat they would probably try to pick up David. Moss is a far better AJ and it could get real interesting. All I know is in the 1 qtr Carr called his own plays we scored a record number of points for the franchise in a qtr. Was is it a fluke? I don't think so. I think our coaching staff had no idea of what they were doing with play calling. We know the team was also into it when Carr was calling the plays. After that, he wasn't allowed to call his plays. Again, I ask why?

We are in a very difficult position as a result of Capers going with an older vetern defense to begin the Texans regime. When that aged defense decentagrated we were left with what we have. We need offense linemen and we need defensive players. We don't have enough draft picks to pick up what we need. No, question Bush is the best pick now for us despite all the Young talk, but I don't believe Bush has declared yet. Another comment would be, how many running QB's from Nebraska made it in the NFL? Very few if any QB's in the NFL are know for their running game. That kind of investment just can't survive the hits in the NFL long term. Isn't the average life span of an NFL back less than 5 years? I thought it was 3, but I'm uncertain of that number.

Now their have been exceptions, but most have used their abilities to scramble as opposed to being running QB's. Certainly Vick and Tarkington would be classified in that group. In some ways Tarkington has been more successful than Vick, because Fran was a heck of a passer and could run for his life if he had too. Fran made it to the SB on more than 1 occasion. Anyway, just some more food for thought.

profan

Waterboy
Well, Ibar are you implying that carr wants out of houston? I've never heard of this before. Also, Nebraska never had a qb will the abilities of Vince Young. Nebraska certainly never had a qb that could pass like vince. Why do you even make such a comparison? Vince was 25 of 29 for 336 yards against colorado this year. Many qb's could not do this against air in practice. Give the gu some credit and quit all this crap about vince young being a running qb. He led the team by passing this year. Your love for carr is hindering your ability to judge any other potential qb's for this team. I will be at all of the texan games cheering for the team no matter who the qb is goig to be. Most likely it will be carr. The Texans face a difficult decision and the right decision may not include vince young. Vince Young has IT. David Carr does not. If we do not draft Young, I just hope our new coach can help DC find IT.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
profan said:
Well, Ibar are you implying that carr wants out of houston? I've never heard of this before. Also, Nebraska never had a qb will the abilities of Vince Young. Nebraska certainly never had a qb that could pass like vince. Why do you even make such a comparison? Vince was 25 of 29 for 336 yards against colorado this year. Many qb's could not do this against air in practice. Give the gu some credit and quit all this crap about vince young being a running qb. He led the team by passing this year. Your love for carr is hindering your ability to judge any other potential qb's for this team. I will be at all of the texan games cheering for the team no matter who the qb is goig to be. Most likely it will be carr. The Texans face a difficult decision and the right decision may not include vince young. Vince Young has IT. David Carr does not. If we do not draft Young, I just hope our new coach can help DC find IT.
Carr also had IT in college. IT is a little different in the pros.