Our new cornerback.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 76Texan, May 15, 2008.

1. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

From Football Outsiders
    Most Targets per Charted Pass (2007-thru 13 games)
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/12/21/ramblings/stat-analysis/5920/

Here are the players most often listed as DEFENDER1 compared to the number of passes charted for their defense. We can’t really do fewest targets without correcting for games played and a bunch of other stuff that takes lots of time.

Jacques Reeves, the Human Target, DAL: 21%
    Nate Clements, SF: 20%
    Will Allen, MIA: 20%
    Ike Taylor, PIT: 20%
    Marcus Trufant, SEA: 19%
    Sam Madison, NYG: 19%
    Kelvin Hayden, IND: 19%
    Kelly Jennings, SEA: 19%
    Dre’ Bly (aka “away from Champ Bailey”), DEN: 18%
    Nick Harper, TEN: 18%
    DeAngelo Hall, ATL: 18%
    Darelle Revis, NYJ, 18%

Holy smoke, they call him the human target!:bat:

2. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

3. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Those are some names I wouldn't particularly mind being grouped with if I were Reeves.

4. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

At any rate, I hope Molden will keep improving.
    He looks like a late bloomer who grew from 5'9 from HS to around 6'2 now.
    And he wasn't concentrating solely on football.
    Perhaps he will be contributing for us.
    I'm rooting for him.

5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I can understand signing Reeves, but I can't understand the money they gave him. Obviously they see something in him we don't.

6. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I'm with you, Thorn!

7. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

His deal is only for $4M guaranteed, so if he ends up sucking, he can just be cut after a couple of years with little ill effects. If he stays with the team and develops like the organization thinks he can, he will earn every penny of his contract.

8. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't this just mean that of all the pass plays against the Boys D the intended target was covered by Reeves 21 % of the time?

There is no mention of his succes rate or anything, just that times tended to throw his way more often then any other Cb in the NFL, which means he couldn't have been that bad cause the Cowboys went 13-3 with a respectable D.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

completion % was between 56 and 57. He gave up a number of big plays but he wasn't abused. He's an athletic, young player that is a borderline starter in the league with opportunity for improvement. Why would fans have a problem with this signing? Better yet, who would have been a better signing?

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Just sounds to me like he was a rookie starter, got picked on a lot, and the Cowboy fans have no patience--so, he has a bad rep for now.

11. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I sure hope Reeves turn out OK.

The fact remains that the Cowboys did not tender him a contract in order for them to draft Mike Jenkins.

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Cowboy fans ought to be used to DBs who can't cover; otherwise how does one explain Roy Williams..??
    :D

13. Errant Hothy

You got any sources for that?

The Cowboys had no idea that Jenkins was going to fall to them, they were figuring on having to choose from Talib and Cason.

Reeves is better then most in Dalas give him credit for. Teams did not throw to Newman's side that much, and for help over the top he has Hamlin (decent but not all that) and the absolute worst cover SS in the history of the NFL in Roy Williams.

I'd love to hear your alternative plan btw.

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Maybe I shouldn't use the term "in order to".

The fact remains that:
    1- They did not offer him a contract.
    2. They drafted a CB in the first round.

As for alternatives:
    1. The Texans could resign Hutchins for less, and target a CB higher.
    2. They could also trade down a little further and pick up an additional CB, like Lowery in the fourth.

15. Errant Hothy

Neccesary footnotes:
    1 - The Cowboys had 2 1st round picks
    2 - If the Texans had traded down again they would not have Duane Brown on the team as San Deigo was primmed to take him.
    3 - The Texans did pick up an additional CB in the draft, Molden.
    4 - The Texans did not have the money to target a higher CB in FA, espically if they had resigned Hutchins before making any moves.

16. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

His deal is $6 miillion guaranteed. $4 million signing bonus already received and another $2 million in roster bonus hitting sometime in '08. He may have already earned his roster bonus. In many cases (like Schaub) they are payable on May 15. In other cases (like Ahman Green) they are prorated game by game.

Add to the $6 million his base of $1 million this year and $2.5 next year and in your scenario he would earn $9.5 million of McNair money over the first 'couple' of years of his deal.

His cap numbers are $3.8 million this year and $3.3 next year. If cut in the '09-'10 off-season, he will count $2.4 million in dead money on the '10 cap.

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

His deal is $6 miillion guaranteed. $4 million signing bonus already received and another $2 million in roster bonus hitting sometime in '08. He may have already earned his roster bonus. In many cases (like Schaub) initial roster bonuses are payable on May 15. In other cases (like Ahman Green) they are prorated game by game.

Add to the $6 million, his base of $1 million this year and $2.5 next year and in your scenario he would earn $9.5 million of McNair money over the first 'couple' of years of his deal.

His cap numbers are $3.8 million this year and $3.3 next year. If cut in the '09-'10 off-season, he will count $2.4 million in dead money on the '10 cap.

18. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I don't have a problem with the signing... but if Reeves plays like Cowboy fans think he plays, and Dunta returns to form (like I expect) and Molden pans out (like I expect he will) I think that would have been alot of money for a #4 CB.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That's really setting the bar high for a 3rd round cornerback don't you think?? Jaques is young, with experience, and is coming from a winning team.

Right now, Jacques is arguably our best cornerback.

We've got to hope Dunta comes back healthy.

We've got to hope Bennet can beat Jacques out to start.

We've got to hope Molden can earn a starting spot...

$4 million doesn't really sound like a lot of money, when the odds are that he will very likely be starting opposite a second year second day pick, or a rookie second day pick.

20. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Give him a chance guys look the cowboys played a lot of zone coverages and we all know that the cowboys safeties were horrible except for Ken Hamlin. Jacques Reeves was a rookie starter so you tell me what rookie starting corner doesn't get beat? Jacque has good size and speed that the texans look for in cornerbacks and maybe the flaws that Jon Hoke and Ray Rhodes saw on film probably thinks that they can be corrected by working on his technique.