Our Front 7: Best in NFL?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, May 20, 2017.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I figured everyone is tired of arguing about the OL/QB positions so lets talk about somethjng fun... our front 7 on defense!

I was watching the NFLNetwork clip posted on HT.com where Vrabel's former teammate Willie Mcginest is talking about Vrabel becoming DC and how the defense might change. He said that our sacks/turnovers should improve due to JJ returning and Vrabel being more aggressive than Crennel on playcalls.

Then I got to thinking... our front 7 is the best in the NFL! We have so much depth and versatility to go along with the top end talent. What schemes will Vrabel cook up with our guys?!

We can possibly have 4 guys up for all pro consideration out of this lot (Watt, Clowney, Mckinney and Mercilus). If Reader picks up where he left off he could prove to be an upgrade over Wilfork last season. Cushing is the QB of the defense. Smart player but knee injuries have taken their toll on his mobility. He can still be a plus player for us now that we've got Cunningham as a chess piece to keep Cushing playing in favorable situations.

Also have young players like Brennan Scarlett and Joel Heath to mix in to give the studs breathers. And we've just got Clemson's defensive captain? Gotta sprinkle him in for a couple snaps a game! This is easily the strength of our team and most exciting part to talk about! This is a boring time of the offseason so lets talk our front 7!!

Texansballer74 and thunderkyss like this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    A little early? TC hasn't even started yet. The front 7 has great potential but...

3. CorpusTexan

CorpusTexan Rookie

Really looking forward to seeing Carlos Watkins myself. I think he could be a steal!

Perki-Perk and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. TheRealJoker

Our front 7 is the surest thing on the roster. It's never too early to talk about how they are going to wreck opposing offensive gameplans!

Watkins is going to be at his best with the Texans. Should be a rotational piece that the coaches can take advantage of the pass rush spark he provides on a limited basis. Keep pressuring the OL while the studs catch their breath on the sidelines.

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

How about potentially the best front 7 in the NFL ?

Texas Jake and JB like this.
  6. TheRealJoker

Nope. We're all in baby!

7. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

A little early to pass judgement on our shiny new QB but that isn't holding anyone back. :)

:coffee:

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The defense will remain the strength of the team, I'm convinced of that much.

I'm also convinced that if the offense can at least improve to mediocre we'll be a strong team.

9. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Front seven was solid last year but there is room for improvement. I believe we finished top 5 in QB pressures but were 24th in sacks. Need to finish more. Also 26th in takeaways. Hopefully a more aggressive style under Vrabel will lead to those numbers improving.

10. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Especially Clowney! How many times did we see him in the backfield but simply didn't finish the play? Will be scary once he figures that part of the game out.

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You touched on something that has been bugging me.
    Not 'bugging' in the irritated sense but 'bugging' in the I'm not sure what this change will bring sense.

WILL Vrabel be more aggressive than RAC? I mean I don't see how RAC had any problems bringing pressure from everywhere and using anybody to do it. How could Vrabel be more aggressive than that?

Maybe this should be its own thread but how do you folks see our defensive philosophy changing under Vrabel??

Texansballer74, Texas Jake and cland like this.
  12. TheRealJoker

Mcginest said Vrabel would be more aggressive than Rac. Basically because he was such a similar player to a lot of the players on defense. Smart and athletic players that can be used in a variety of ways. Then he highlighted a couple plays from last season where Rac manipulated the Oline with different pressure packages to get Clowney in favorable matchups. Said Vrabel will highlight that even more because that's the type of player he was. Plus that #99 guy being back...

ObsiWan likes this.
  13. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Crennel operates under the 'bend but don't break' umbrella. Meaning his top goal is preventing big plays and making offenses consistently convert 3rd downs and drive the entire field. While that is a great strategy when you have a ton of talent (which we do) when you go up against equally talented offenses you need to bring more to the table than just limiting what they can do. IMO, elite defenses don't react and limit what the offense can do. They attack them and force the offense to react to them. What I'm hoping to see from Vrabel is less concern with limiting big plays and more focus on forcing negative plays.

14. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

He finished second in the league in TFL's with 16. I thought he did figure out that part of the game?

15. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

IMO, he has to work on finishing the play. He can be first in the league for TFLs by a large margin! I could easily see him & Watt at #1 & #2 next season.

16. banned1976

banned1976 American

I believe Vrabel will be more aggressive especially when/if the Texans jump out to a sizeable lead. They did so in one game last year and Rac became conservative. The opponents offense immediately scored a TD and during the whole drive whenever the camera was pointed towards Rac several times I saw Vrabel just shaking his head.

With Vrabel it's going to be 'cry havoc and let loose the hounds of war'.

ObsiWan likes this.
  17. Mangler

Mangler All Pro

Everyone talks about how aggressive Vrabel is going to be, and he may be, but there's a chance he may stink it up and Crennel will probably have to do his and Obrien's job. I hope Vrabel can be half as good if not as good as Romeo, but let's not pretend that those shoes will be so easy to fill. It definitely would be nice if Mike ends up being a good DC and shows no mercy to offenses even while having a sizeable lead.

Here's hoping for the best...

18. TheRealJoker

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

IMG_9113.JPG

I think that chart is slightly disingenuous just because of playing time. He was clearly hurt the first two years and started more in year 3 (14 starts) than the other 2 (11 starts) combined. He's really going into his third season now. This is when the lights should really be on.

20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Talent wise I agree. It will be up to Vrabel's coaching style to maximize it. He won't have Crennels game time on the spot experience so im real curious to see the character of the defense. Too aggressive and you could be playing from behind alot, and yet too passive could mean the same.

Cool to see the 'Stros kicking ass but I haven't been this ready for a season in a little while. C'mon August.

Texansballer74 likes this.