Our defense looks fantastic

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansSeminole, Jul 31, 2007.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

In these Texans TV training camp videos our defense looks great. Nothing else.

2. Twitch-Houston

Twitch-Houston Hall of Fame

They do. I have seen a lot of interceptions in those videos. I hope it's because our defense is awesome and not that the offense is horrible. :panic:

That said, it's practice so the O may be just trying different things and not playing as tight as it needs to be.

3. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Seems like its a lot of Sage getting picked.

I don't see much of Zman and Van Pelt. I wonder how they are doing?

4. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

When you have a bunch of new receivers that you are not familiar with, interceptions are likely. We have a parade of relatively recently signed guys at the receiver position.

5. Twitch-Houston

Twitch-Houston Hall of Fame

LB Trent Bray took one interception to the house on Sage.

Course these are just snippets of the practice. Maybe the marketing department is showing so many nice defensive plays to show us fans that all the defensive picks are paying off..... :shades:

I don't mind a bit. I love awesome defense. If we have a dominating D I can live with that.

6. Vega

Vega Rookie

Yeah, plus defenses always seem to be ahead of offenses this early in camp. Pair that with the fact that we had a lot of turnover on offense and not so much on D and the fact that many of us expect the D to be better, and that's not surprising.

7. mootini

mootini 1stdown!!!!!

How has the D front been vs. the run? Interesting that your 2ndary is playing good, I thought that was a weak spot in your D.

8. mootini

mootini 1stdown!!!!!

See Jags...that's what we got...Texans building a good team.

9. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

It was a weak spot last year. Still won't know about this year until they start playing, but alot of the reports coming out of camp are saying Dunta has elevated his play and the signing of Fletcher, drafting of Bennett and Mitchell have made the Secondary better. How much better remains to be seen. :shades: JMHO!

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

It also helps when the QB is throwing from his back. :d:

11. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I still think the secondary is a glaring weakness on our defense, if the rookies are making as good of an impression as they are reported to be. I don't think we are going to get lucky enough to pick up yet another DROY out of our draft this time around.

BTW, did anybody remember any reports of Demeco Ryans being really stellar in training camp last year?

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Well, he wasn't going to be starting until the guy in front of him (Wali Rainer?) went down with injury. He was showing flashes of brilliance but was still adjusting to the speed of the game.

iirc.

13. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

the biggest thing i remember hearing about was that he was capable of playing all the LB positions. also that he also had a good nose for the ball.

14. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I think there was some consternation that he was going to have to play middle linebacker when it was obvious he was an outside backer. I can't remember how prevalent that thought was though.

15. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I don't think he's gonna make it. :user: :jk:

16. JamesC

JamesC Lumberjack

I remember reading an article last year about how the d line was supposed to be the deepest, most talented unit on the team. I hope they can prove their worth this year. Especially Mario.

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

The team's coaches had Meco at the OLB spot, and then he was tried out in the middle...and the coaches were mulling it over because it's a critical spot for the defense and he was "merely a rookie" and that kind of pressure might be too much for him, etc.

There was genuine anxiousness by the coaches during this part of camp last year. But I think he started "jelling" so quickly that the coaches (including Kubiak) began to really be sold on Meco at the middle backer position.

And the rest is history......

18. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I remember last year people talking about the defense dominating the offense, and how good the defense must be. Then both sides of the ball started to look really good during preseason games. Even went 3-1 in preseason. Then the Texans went 0-3. I'm not saying the defense sucks or doesn't look fantastic, but I'm waiting for something more than the Texans offense as a measuring stick for the abilities of the defense.

Runner likes this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

i agree

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Thats the bad thing about being a bad football team. You look great against yourself, but it doesnt mean squat against other teams.

In fact, I used to think our OL and DLs main problems were that they competed against each other. Instead of making each other better, they made each other worse.

Runner likes this.