Our D-line on passing downs...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by real, Aug 16, 2007.

1. real

real Guest

I read this interesting snippet from Anthony Weaver:

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/texans_camp_2007/

So if Weaver is going to go inside on passing plays to allow "speed guys to come in at end" if Mario isn't getting to the QB like we'd like him to should we completely take him out of the game and put Babin and Kalu at DE?

Mario + Weaver at DE = piss poor pass rush

Any suggestions ?

2. jdog

jdog All Pro

passing downs:

Kalu, Okoye, Weaver, Babin

3. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

i dunno babin i think is getting worn down

4. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

I see Mario is the new scapegoat...

We really should give Our players more leeway than one friggin year and a preseason game...really especially at DE.

5. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

new? no he has been

6. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Veteran

Seriously. Mario is what, 21 years old? And he is playing on the Dline( a very hard transition from college to pros). Not to mention he had plantar fasciitis the second-half of the season. You can clearly see his production fall after game 7 against the Giants in which he had 2 sacks. I know this is an old argument but it's true.

7. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

You've just admitted that he was your scapegoat did you not...

That means you unfairly and incorrectly judge his performance, because you put all the blame on him.

You think our Dline isn't as good because of him.

You blame our secondary's poor play because of him.

Also it is very unwise to judge a player off one year...how many times do we have to learn this? Especially when he's had a better rookie year than some pro bowl DEs had as rookies...people are just expecting WAY TOO MUCH from Mario.

DEs and DTs develop a bit slow. Same for Olinemen. You can't say after one average rookie year "That guy is a bust." especially after one year...

For people to say Kalu and Babin are better than Weaver and Mario that is just giving up on Mario.

Also Mario is getting his chance. If the 4th year comes and he has not improved...then he will be benched... Babin had his shot, and he didn't capitalize. Kalu had his shot somewhere and didn't capitalize.

Mario is getting his shot. Travis had his shot and didn't make the most of it, and now he's on the bench 2nd string and he has to work his way back up.

All I am saying and have been saying...Give Mario his shot. Especially since his rookie year wasn't as bad as people want you to beleive. He got a vote or two for DROY if I remember correctly.

8. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Let's stay focused on the D-Line as a whole, instead of another Mario thread, OK?

I have this question for anyone who can tell me the answer.

Ready?

When was the last time, (not just last season, I mean EVER, in the entire life of the Texans) that you saw the opponent QB get sacked by the starting DL alone, without a somekind of blitz, of any kind?

9. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

wow chill bro i never said that and not me alot of texans fans, i love super mario! i think he is great :d:

10. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

I don't necessarily agree that Travis had his shot. He had one year in a defensive scheme he wasn't ready for, I believe he was backing up some or most of that (though I can't back that up with facts) and then he had a portion of another season before he was knocked out.

I'm not going to excuse his lack of work-ethic in the past but to say he's had his shot and now he's done, when what I hear for the most part is that he's working hard to get in the game, is probably a little premature.

11. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

wel u better be!!!!:bat::boxing:

lol just kidding bro, i've always wanted to use that icon lol

12. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

This a difficult question to answer because, I first need to know if during the Capers 3-4 years you consider the OLB's part of the DL or not, or if you consider them rushing to be a kind of blitz, or not?

13. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

100% correct. In TJ's first year he was backing up a ProBowler, and an established Veteran, in Gary Walker and Jerry DeLoach respectively, so he didn't get on the field much. In his second year he played in 9 games starting 8 of them until he was hurt and missed the remaining 7 games. In my opinion, this year will be the year to see what he can really do.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Maybe the most effective combo in passing situations, but it'll never happen
    because there is just too many politics involved here. They can't possibly pull Mario in passing situations as this would be an overt admission of his inability to put pressure on the QB.

15. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Here's what you thought 2 days ago:

Keep it consistent, you are being recorded.

YoungTexanFan likes this.
  16. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I think Weaver gives us a good balance on passing and running downs. You then bring in an edge speed guy on obvious passing downs. Weaver, being a good player, is still on the field, and hopefully you are getting some pressure from your front 4.

Passing downs:

Mario
    Okoye
    Weaver
    Babin

= Quarterback on the ground.

lol

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I can't understand where Weaver got the reputation as a good pass rusher. He's averaged about 3 sacks per season over his career. If it's not about getting contracts on the field, I'd go with a passing down front of:

LDE - Kalu
    LDT - Mario
    RDT - Okoye
    RDE - Babin

Weaver's not one of the 4 best pass rushers on the team. And for a team without a real good pash rush, that's telling.

Matt likes this.
  18. Matt

Matt Blogfather

I don't like the idea of moving Mario inside, considering his edge speed is pretty much his best pass rushing asset.

I'd go with
    LDE- Babin/Kalu (on a rotation)
    LDT- Okoye
    RDT- Weaver/Travis Johnson
    RDE- Mario

Though, ideally, I'd like to see TJ really step up and just win that spot on passing downs outright.

19. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Who said he was? When we signed him word was he was one of the premier run stopping DEs in the league.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

You used to see it when you had a healthy Gary Walker and Seth Payne on the field. Since then it has been rare.