Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Other than Cowher or Marty, who else is out there to replace Kubiak?

TexansFight

Veteran
Obviously, I think the top 2 choices to replace Kubiak after this season are Cowher and/or Marty. Let's hypothetically say that for whatever reason, we can't get either coach.

Let's come up with a list of PROVEN WINNERS on the NFL level that can help turn around this mess withat we have. Unless, I am wrong, I think our choices are pretty slim:

1. Brian Billick - guy won a Super Bowl and had competitive teams in Baltimore. He was the OC for Minnesota back in 1998 when they went 15-1 and had one of the best NFL offenses that I have seen. Despite his training as an offensive guru, he never could build a decent offense in Baltimore and this coupled with the drafting and him continuing to play Boller gives me definite pause and concern.

2. Jim Fassell - another offensive coach. Took the Giants to the Super Bowl. A retread, I am kind of meh on him

3. Gregg Williams - good DC but ultra-conservative offensively. Potentially a Dom Capers clone.

4. Wade Phillips - I am pretty sure he is gone after this season. That he can't win big with a team with 13 Pro Bowlers does not give me great hope that he can do anything with us.

5. Herm Edwards - this guy is TERRIBLE at clock management like Kubiak. This is not an upgrade.

Uhhhh, please help me come up with some other names. This list above is terrible. I still think Kubiak has got to go, but there aren't many proven winners that are not employed right now. If this is it, McNair needs to do WHATEVER HE HAS TO to get Marty or Cowher here.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Ok, I'll play your silly game (jk). Say for an instant that Kubiak is gone. He's really and truly gone and Bob McNair has suddenly decided that he's seen all this crap that he's interested in watching. He opens his magic wallet and says "I'm getting the coach I want and sparing no expense" then who do we want to see him hire (assuming that we could drop a name in his head and have it come true)?

Limiting it to realistic choices who could realistically be fired this year or are currently unemployed.

I wanted Jimmy Johnson when Kubiak was hired. I still want to see Jimmy Johnson coach this team. I think his time in Miami was doomed from the start because he was handed a sacred cow QB who he had to build around. Taking that job was a mistake on his part IMO.

<Having said that let me add that the farther JJ gets from having actually coached the less likely this is of ever happening but hey, Dick Vermeil came back and made it happen so why not JJ?>

I'd want him working with a quality GM and not hand him total power. Is Floyd Reese still available and out there? If it's a total purge with Kubiak and Smith both getting the boot then I'd check out Reese.

None of it will matter however if we have the same organization around this new coach and the culture here doesn't change. What troubles the Texans starts at the top.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Mike Sherman was a PROVEN WINNER on the NFL level.

What happened to him? :rolleyes:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I tend to take Schottenheimer for granted and don't pay a lot of attention to him but after taking a quick look at his record over at Pro Football Reference.com I can't help but notice that this man has coached for 21 years, for four different teams, and has only had two losing seasons.

Maybe I do want to see them bring in Marty. He's getting pretty old though but damn, I think it would be hard to argue with his results. The man can instill a winning attitude in a team he leads.

dskillz

Waterboy
Whoever we get needs full control to fix the culture of losing we have here. Give him the power to pick his own GM and staff. The only person on that list I would give that to is Cowher. Of course we just re-inked the GM, so not sure how that would work.

Also, Cowher or any proven coach would demand a ton of cash to take this job. I am hoping McNair does it. Paying for "on the job training" for Kubiak is getting old.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Yall can forget Kubiak leaving. He'll be back next year. I'm not saying that next year won't be his last, but he'll be back. I'd bet heavily on a staffing change in this off season, especially on the defensive side.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Out of your list, I take Billick. He an a-hole, but I think we might need a little a-hole right now. He is tough, and will have the D quit playing like pansies.

Buffi2

Veteran
Kubiak is so not going anywhere this year - he'll get one more year.

I would love to see Wade Phillips as DC, however.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Yall can forget Kubiak leaving. He'll be back next year. I'm not saying that next year won't be his last, but he'll be back. I'd bet heavily on a staffing change in this off season, especially on the defensive side.

Live a little Thorn, try thinking about this in a hypothetical sense. Nobody said it was going to actually happen. The question was if it did happen and you could make the choice for all practical purposes who would you pick.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Live a little Thorn, try thinking about this in a hypothetical sense. Nobody said it was going to actually happen. The question was if it did happen and you could make the choice for all practical purposes who would you pick.
In that case, I would say make Cowher a multi-millionaire to come here.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Strike a deal with Steve Spagnuolo to keep Kubiak as OC (if Kubiak wants the job).

Kubiak's contract was for $10M/5 yrs wasn't it?

Spagnuolo signed a 3 yr deal as DC with the Giants for $6M during the off-season. Based upon term of contract and inflation, he's making a little less than Kubiak at the moment.

I don't know how the buy-out would work, but McNair probably doesn't mind spending money to make more money.

Heck, and Kubiak should take a pay cut like Ahman Green did.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
I tend to take Schottenheimer for granted and don't pay a lot of attention to him but after taking a quick look at his record over at Pro Football Reference.com I can't help but notice that this man has coached for 21 years, for four different teams, and has only had two losing seasons.

Maybe I do want to see them bring in Marty. He's getting pretty old though but damn, I think it would be hard to argue with his results. The man can instill a winning attitude in a team he leads.
Being in the former AFC Central, I never took Marty for granted.

I don't think San Diego treated him fairly for what he had accomplished there, either.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Didn't I hear Bradshaw state that Tony Dungy is leaving the Colts after this season during the pregame show on FOX last Sunday?

I'm not saying that we'd go after him or anything like that, just saying that he may be out there.

Personally, I'd really like to give Will Muschamp of Texas a shot.

P

Polo

I really, really like Kubiak...

That said...if they can bring in someone that can make this team a little less shaky, like Marty ball, then I can't say I'd have a problem with it..

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
Strike a deal with Steve Spagnuolo to keep Kubiak as OC (if Kubiak wants the job).

Kubiak's contract was for $10M/5 yrs wasn't it?

Spagnuolo signed a 3 yr deal as DC with the Giants for $6M during the off-season. Based upon term of contract and inflation, he's making a little less than Kubiak at the moment.

I don't know how the buy-out would work, but McNair probably doesn't mind spending money to make more money.

Heck, and Kubiak should take a pay cut like Ahman Green did.
I would be iffy on any coordinator, but if McNair did go that route I would love to see Spagnuolo. That Giants D kicks ass.

Maybe Rex Ryan from the Ravens as well.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Tomorrow's Chronicle is going to be all about the Texans players loving Kubiak.

Player quotes:

(Today in my blog, someone was disappointed in Kubiak throwing the defensive coordinator under the bus. And I told him to read the quotes in context, and actually they were pretty neutral. Funny how that works).

But if you want to play the read behind the lines game, compare the very complimentary things said about Kubiak to the things said about the defensive coordinator Richard Smith:

On Kubiak:

Sage-
(on what it means to him that coach Gary Kubiak takes the blame for the game) “He’s (coach Gary Kubiak) a coach that players all love playing for. He’s hard on us quarterbacks, but I think he’s fair. When we don’t play well, he’ll tell us. When we play well, he’ll tell us. So, he’s a guy that’s always been a standup type of guy and I think players will always respect that and always play hard for a coach that’s like that.”
Winston
-(on if head coach Gary Kubiak is the type of coach that can keep a locker room together) “Absolutely. I think the locker room stuff usually ends up on the player’s shoulders, but I don’t think anybody’s questioning him in here or anybody’s worried about him.”

(on why the team still believes in coach Gary Kubiak) “I think the guys that have been here that came in when he came in, I think we all know what we all inherited. When I got drafted here and when he came on and starting this process, to me, we’ve made a lot of progress. Sometimes these growing pains are painful, to say the least. That’s not good enough right now. That’s not fast enough, but there has been progress and to say there hasn’t been, I don’t think you’re kind of watching the same team.”

(on if he worries about how the team finishes could cost people jobs) “Absolutely. It could cost us all of our jobs. We’re all in it together. It’s not just coaches or players. We’re all in it together. We’re all an extension of each other. I’m sure he’s going to be coaching better. We’ve got to play better, and we’ll go from there. We’ve got a lot of opportunities left. We’ve just got to go out there and just play for each other and play as hard as we can and not worry about the other stuff that we can’t control.”

On Richard Smith, DC:

Dunta: (on if it baffles him that a team with this talent is struggling) “Yeah. It’s ridiculous. So, if you would have told me at the beginning of the season, with the talent that we have on this football team, that halfway through the season we would be 3-6, I would have laughed at you. So, I’m totally amazed in the position that we’re in, but this is the situation that we’re in right now. We can still change it and we can still come out of this thing on top. Everything has to be better. Like I said, I’m not putting it on players. I’m not putting it on coaches. We’ve just got to be better. Everybody has to be accountable from the players to the coaches. Once we get that done, we’ll be alright.”

DeMeco: (on as players how they deal with the heat that is pointed at defensive coordinator Richard Smith) “We don’t look at it. We look at it as players and we feel like we all have to step up and play better. We don’t play for the coaches. We play for each other when we step out there on the field and that’s what I tell the guys that it’s about. It’s about us sticking it up and sticking it out there on the line for each other. That’s what it’s about. If we play with that type of attitude, then that’s when we’ll be a lot better.”

(on if he thinks there is any scheme problems) “No matter what the call is, no matter what (defensive coordinator) Richard (Smith) calls, we have to play. We have to line up and play the right technique and play with a lot of energy and play with a lot of passion and make plays happen.”

(on if there is still a strong belief in head coach Gary Kubiak) “Oh yeah. We still believe in (head coach Gary) Kubiak and the coaching staff. There’s no doubt about that. We believe that we can get it done under Kubiak. There’s no doubt in my mind that we can. I know we can.”

(on if the players think about the way they play can determine if coaches lose their jobs) “The only thing we as players can control is how we step out there and play on the field. We can’t control what goes on upstairs with the coaches and everything. We just control how we play, and that’s the kind of attitude that we take when we step out on the field.”

(on if he thinks its unfair that the coaches are receiving such criticism) “I think it is. I think players have to step up and be men. You were brought here for a reason and that’s to step up and ball out when you’re out there on the field. I know we’re not doing that at a consistent level out of everyone, but once we step up as players and do that on a consistent basis then it will be totally different.”

The DeMeco quotes are almost like...Hey we love Kubiak. But whatever crazy ass crap Smith calls, we have to run it the best we can. And we can't control what crazy ass crap Smith calls, so we can't worry about that crap.

It reminds me of the video I put on my Chron post about canning Richard Smith. (Which I will proudly say comes up as a first hit google search for "Fire Richard Smith" right above a couple of message board posts on the subject. In the video that focuses on Smith, they only have clips talking about how much Smith yells. Or saying that they thought he was crazy but that's just the way he is. How many truly complementary things have you ever read or heard about Smith? It's hard to have my coach is genius talk or love your DC talk when there are so many breakdowns.

TexansFight

Veteran
Spagnuolo is intriguing. I know he isn't proven, but the Giants defense lost BOTH Michael Strahan AND Osi Umenyiora and they still kick ass. I need to look into him more. I would prefer someone with a track record since I don't trust McNair to make the right hire. However, the new coaches that have had a lot of success this year have been coordinators: Mike Smith of ATL, John Harbaugh of BAL, Sparano of MIA, etc.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
Tomorrow's Chronicle is going to be all about the Texans players loving Kubiak.

Player quotes:

(Today in my blog, someone was disappointed in Kubiak throwing the defensive coordinator under the bus. And I told him to read the quotes in context, and actually they were pretty neutral. Funny how that works).

But if you want to play the read behind the lines game, compare the very complimentary things said about Kubiak to the things said about the defensive coordinator Richard Smith:

On Kubiak:

Sage-

Winston

On Richard Smith, DC:

The DeMeco quotes are almost like...Hey we love Kubiak. But whatever crazy ass crap Smith calls, we have to run it the best we can. And we can't control what crazy ass crap Smith calls, so we can't worry about that crap.

It reminds me of the video I put on my Chron post about canning Richard Smith. (Which I will proudly say comes up as a first hit google search for "Fire Richard Smith" right above a couple of message board posts on the subject. In the video that focuses on Smith, they only have clips talking about how much Smith yells. Or saying that they thought he was crazy but that's just the way he is. How many truly complementary things have you ever read or heard about Smith? It's hard to have my coach is genius talk or love your DC talk when there are so many breakdowns.
It's funny how DeMeco never defends Dick Smith or his playcalling. He's got coachspeak down well.

J-Russ

Veteran
Spagnuolo is intriguing. I know he isn't proven, but the Giants defense lost BOTH Michael Strahan AND Osi Umenyiora and they still kick ass. I need to look into him more. I would prefer someone with a track record since I don't trust McNair to make the right hire. However, the new coaches that have had a lot of success this year have been coordinators: Mike Smith of ATL, John Harbaugh of BAL, Sparano of MIA, etc.
Don't bother looking too hard. He was offered the Redskins job this past off-season and rejected it to stay with the Giants. He's where he wants to be.... but hey, maybe playing for the Texans is his secret dream job that he's been waiting for :rolleyes:

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
Don't bother looking too hard. He was offered the Redskins job this past off-season and rejected it to stay with the Giants. He's where he wants to be.... but hey, maybe playing for the Texans is his secret dream job that he's been waiting for :rolleyes:
As if he really wanted to face his former team twice a year.

J-Russ

Veteran
He's not unrealistic. Just expensive.
On February 7th, 2008 he took his name out of consideration for the head coaching position of the Washington Redskins, citing the fact that he didn't feel ready to be a head coach. People speculated that he did not like the fact that the coordinators were already installed, but he stated he had no problems with them. The same day, the New York Giants made Spagnuolo the highest paid defensive coordinator with a 3 year contract for 2 million dollars each year.

Who's knows, maybe he'll feel ready after winning another superbowl.

But I think if he wanted to be a HC soon, he would've taken the Redskins job. He would've inherited a good team if he took it up. Good D, good O, everything was pretty much set. It was a perfect place to make his mark in the NFL as a HC. And for the record, he was coaching in Philly before he became the DC in New York.

TexansFight

Veteran
As if he really wants to coach the lowly Texans 16 games a year.

How bout alittle bit more realistic coaching replacement... if you're going to talk about bring in new coaches.
This is the frigging NFL. Its not as if the Texans job is like the ULaLa job in Div. 1 college football. If you have a good front office that knows what the hell it is doing and a good coaching staff ANY NFL team can turn it around. Its not like we are the Raiders with a senile old man sticking his nose into everything. We probably have to pay more than some other teams because this team has been a joke to this point but that is the price McNair has to pay for fielding a shitty team this long.

We have some talent on this team and the media in this town is soft. We have an owner who has a lot of money and stays out of things. Finally, this town is so starved for a winner that any coach who get us finally into the playoffs will be able to have a very long tenure here. Not a bad job at all. Much better than the Bengals or Raiders jobs that will be open this year.

Last edited:

J-Russ

Veteran
Already post my response to this. Redskins would've been the perfect job for him and yet he passed that up. What makes you think he'll leave his current job for the Texans, just one year removed from declining the Redskins job? And I doubt he'll feel more 'ready' for the HC position just after a year.

I think he'll be in New York for the rest of his contract, then go off to another team to become their new HC.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
Already post my response to this. Redskins would've been the perfect job for him and yet he passed that up. What makes you think he'll leave his current job for the Texans, just one year removed from declining the Redskins job? And I doubt he'll feel more 'ready' for the HC position just after a year.

I think he'll be in New York for the rest of his contract, then go off to another team to become their new HC.
Hard to say if that would have been the perfect job for him. I don't know how many people wanted to go to a place where the coordinators were already in place before there was even a head coach. You don't even get a choice in who you want. Plus you have to deal with Daniel Snyder.

J-Russ

Veteran
Hard to say if that would have been the perfect job for him. I don't know how many people wanted to go to a place where the coordinators were already in place before there was even a head coach. You don't even get a choice in who you want. Plus you have to deal with Daniel Snyder.
Yes that is true. And also, I meant perfect in the sense that he had a high chance of succeeding there, and that he won't have to much renovating because the previous coach is leaving already leaving behind a contending team.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
Yes that is true. And also, I meant perfect in the sense that he had a high chance of succeeding there, and that he won't have to much renovating because the previous coach is leaving already leaving behind a contending team.
Yeah personnel wise the Redskins team is pretty talented so I agree with you there.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Out of your list, I take Billick. He an a-hole, but I think we might need a little a-hole right now. He is tough, and will have the D quit playing like pansies.
Brian billick is a terrible head coach and that offense that was his baby ib Baltimore always sucked. His defense was the product of rex ryans being his d.c. In no way was his success in Minnesota translated at all when he moved to Baltimore, which lends me to the belief that he got lucky that the GM/Head coach were smart enogh to pick Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper.

Sorry to sound so harsh, this is also a response to one of the posts above.

texanhead08

All Pro
I am loving Singletary watching this game tonite. The guy is emotional on the sidelines and has players playing above their abilities. There isn't a lot of talent on the niners and they are competing.

Vinny

shiny happy fan

Here is more of that from Dunta...

Cornerback Dunta Robinson was upset when told fans want Kubiak fired.

"Kubiak wants to win and he wants to win bad," Robinson said. "Kubiak is doing his job. Maybe you ought to look at some things around him, but you can't look at him. There's not a player in this locker room that doesn't want to win for Kubiak, including myself. We just have to figure out a way to get that done. Maybe it starts with us, maybe it starts somewhere else. But we have to get it done."

His endorsement of defensive coordinator Richard Smith wasn't as passionate. When told Smith was also taking heat and asked if he felt for him, Robinson shrugged his shoulders and said: "It is what it is. As players, we're going to go back and we're going to go out and work hard and practice hard and get the job done."

Robinson called Sunday's performance disappointing and embarrassing. He said some things he saw when watching game film were shocking.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D94CCJC00.html

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Dunta is like the damn reaper for this team.......once he starts making hints to your incompetence........your days are numbered. Smith will be fired...just like Carr was ran out of town, Dunta doesn't mess around. This team would be so much better if they had a dozen more of Dunta type players......players that stepped up and said...."we don't like being losers and will not accept being losers".

C

Ckw

Dunta is like the damn reaper for this team.......once he starts making hints to your incompetence........your days are numbered. Smith will be fired...just like Carr was ran out of town, Dunta doesn't mess around. This team would be so much better if they had a dozen more of Dunta type players......players that stepped up and said...."we don't like being losers and will not accept being losers".
Yep and I think it is quite telling that Dunta stood up for Kubiak. He didn't have to say anything and we all know Dunta is not the kind of guy that beats around the bush.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
You know, Mike Holmgren is in the last year of his contract. Another name Ive thought about was Marriuci(sp). San Fran hasnt been the same since he left, and Detroit was a train wreck that he didnt really build.

He would have had to work for Dan Snyder.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Also:

1. He was on a list of numerous candidates for the HC job. He wasn't offered one.
2. $2M a year to stay with the reigning SB Champs.
3. A job with fewer responsibilities.

Where do I sign?

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
Kubiak is so not going anywhere this year - he'll get one more year.

I would love to see Wade Phillips as DC, however.
Agreed...but I do like both Cowher (star of the Bill Cowher Power Hour) and Marty. Hell, I'd even settle for Jerry Glanville.