Other than Cowher or Marty, who else is out there to replace Kubiak?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFight, Nov 10, 2008.

1. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

Obviously, I think the top 2 choices to replace Kubiak after this season are Cowher and/or Marty. Let's hypothetically say that for whatever reason, we can't get either coach.

Let's come up with a list of PROVEN WINNERS on the NFL level that can help turn around this mess withat we have. Unless, I am wrong, I think our choices are pretty slim:

1. Brian Billick - guy won a Super Bowl and had competitive teams in Baltimore. He was the OC for Minnesota back in 1998 when they went 15-1 and had one of the best NFL offenses that I have seen. Despite his training as an offensive guru, he never could build a decent offense in Baltimore and this coupled with the drafting and him continuing to play Boller gives me definite pause and concern.

2. Jim Fassell - another offensive coach. Took the Giants to the Super Bowl. A retread, I am kind of meh on him

3. Gregg Williams - good DC but ultra-conservative offensively. Potentially a Dom Capers clone.

4. Wade Phillips - I am pretty sure he is gone after this season. That he can't win big with a team with 13 Pro Bowlers does not give me great hope that he can do anything with us.

5. Herm Edwards - this guy is TERRIBLE at clock management like Kubiak. This is not an upgrade.

Uhhhh, please help me come up with some other names. This list above is terrible. I still think Kubiak has got to go, but there aren't many proven winners that are not employed right now. If this is it, McNair needs to do WHATEVER HE HAS TO to get Marty or Cowher here.

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Ok, I'll play your silly game (jk). Say for an instant that Kubiak is gone. He's really and truly gone and Bob McNair has suddenly decided that he's seen all this crap that he's interested in watching. He opens his magic wallet and says "I'm getting the coach I want and sparing no expense" then who do we want to see him hire (assuming that we could drop a name in his head and have it come true)?

Limiting it to realistic choices who could realistically be fired this year or are currently unemployed.

I wanted Jimmy Johnson when Kubiak was hired. I still want to see Jimmy Johnson coach this team. I think his time in Miami was doomed from the start because he was handed a sacred cow QB who he had to build around. Taking that job was a mistake on his part IMO.

<Having said that let me add that the farther JJ gets from having actually coached the less likely this is of ever happening but hey, Dick Vermeil came back and made it happen so why not JJ?>

I'd want him working with a quality GM and not hand him total power. Is Floyd Reese still available and out there? If it's a total purge with Kubiak and Smith both getting the boot then I'd check out Reese.

None of it will matter however if we have the same organization around this new coach and the culture here doesn't change. What troubles the Texans starts at the top.

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Mike Sherman was a PROVEN WINNER on the NFL level.

What happened to him? :rolleyes:

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I tend to take Schottenheimer for granted and don't pay a lot of attention to him but after taking a quick look at his record over at Pro Football Reference.com I can't help but notice that this man has coached for 21 years, for four different teams, and has only had two losing seasons.

Maybe I do want to see them bring in Marty. He's getting pretty old though but damn, I think it would be hard to argue with his results. The man can instill a winning attitude in a team he leads.

5. dskillz

dskillz Veteran

Whoever we get needs full control to fix the culture of losing we have here. Give him the power to pick his own GM and staff. The only person on that list I would give that to is Cowher. Of course we just re-inked the GM, so not sure how that would work.

Also, Cowher or any proven coach would demand a ton of cash to take this job. I am hoping McNair does it. Paying for "on the job training" for Kubiak is getting old.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Yall can forget Kubiak leaving. He'll be back next year. I'm not saying that next year won't be his last, but he'll be back. I'd bet heavily on a staffing change in this off season, especially on the defensive side.

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Out of your list, I take Billick. He an a-hole, but I think we might need a little a-hole right now. He is tough, and will have the D quit playing like pansies.

8. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Kubiak is so not going anywhere this year - he'll get one more year.

I would love to see Wade Phillips as DC, however.

9. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Live a little Thorn, try thinking about this in a hypothetical sense. Nobody said it was going to actually happen. The question was if it did happen and you could make the choice for all practical purposes who would you pick.

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

In that case, I would say make Cowher a multi-millionaire to come here.

11. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Strike a deal with Steve Spagnuolo to keep Kubiak as OC (if Kubiak wants the job).

Kubiak's contract was for $10M/5 yrs wasn't it?

Spagnuolo signed a 3 yr deal as DC with the Giants for $6M during the off-season. Based upon term of contract and inflation, he's making a little less than Kubiak at the moment.

I don't know how the buy-out would work, but McNair probably doesn't mind spending money to make more money.

Heck, and Kubiak should take a pay cut like Ahman Green did.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Being in the former AFC Central, I never took Marty for granted.

I don't think San Diego treated him fairly for what he had accomplished there, either.

13. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Hey, the title of the thread is "besides Cowher and Marty"!:whip:

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Ummmmmm, I was quoting Herv's post.................... (??)

Please don't start stalking me again. :shades:

15. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

:shots::hides:

16. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Didn't I hear Bradshaw state that Tony Dungy is leaving the Colts after this season during the pregame show on FOX last Sunday?

I'm not saying that we'd go after him or anything like that, just saying that he may be out there.

Personally, I'd really like to give Will Muschamp of Texas a shot.

17. Polo

Polo Guest

I really, really like Kubiak...

That said...if they can bring in someone that can make this team a little less shaky, like Marty ball, then I can't say I'd have a problem with it..

18. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I would be iffy on any coordinator, but if McNair did go that route I would love to see Spagnuolo. That Giants D kicks ass.

Maybe Rex Ryan from the Ravens as well.

19. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Tomorrow's Chronicle is going to be all about the Texans players loving Kubiak.

Player quotes:

(Today in my blog, someone was disappointed in Kubiak throwing the defensive coordinator under the bus. And I told him to read the quotes in context, and actually they were pretty neutral. Funny how that works).

But if you want to play the read behind the lines game, compare the very complimentary things said about Kubiak to the things said about the defensive coordinator Richard Smith:

On Kubiak:

Sage-
    Winston

On Richard Smith, DC:

The DeMeco quotes are almost like...Hey we love Kubiak. But whatever crazy ass crap Smith calls, we have to run it the best we can. And we can't control what crazy ass crap Smith calls, so we can't worry about that crap.

It reminds me of the video I put on my Chron post about canning Richard Smith. (Which I will proudly say comes up as a first hit google search for "Fire Richard Smith" right above a couple of message board posts on the subject. In the video that focuses on Smith, they only have clips talking about how much Smith yells. Or saying that they thought he was crazy but that's just the way he is. How many truly complementary things have you ever read or heard about Smith? It's hard to have my coach is genius talk or love your DC talk when there are so many breakdowns.

20. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Spagnuolo
    Singeltary
    Rivera
    McDaniel (Pats OC)
    Rex Ryan