OTAs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Lucky, May 19, 2008.

1. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Kubiak had some interesting things to say, including a reference to another Texan injury.

Inflammation in the pelvic area. Ouch.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Taylor at FB? He doesn't look anything like a FB. Did McFly, I mean McClain, ask that question?

2. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

The question was probably asked because of the RB numbers game and the fact that we saw Taylor get reps at FB during OTAs last year (with Leach and Cook healthy). Maybe they were just fill-in reps but they were reps and someone remembered it. Kubiak does a lot more with his FBs than simply lead blocking out of the I. There's probably a 'stupider' question out there that I could come up with if given a minute or two.

3. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

I like what Kubes said about Gibbs:

Im really pumped to see the running game September 7th at Heinz Field :wild:

4. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

Kubiak happens to think he looks like a fullback, at least he did last year.
    Last year at OTA's

Double Barrel likes this.
  5. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

:confused: BTW, when I first heard that Travis Johnson had "pelvic inflammation" I was concerned that he had a little too much fun on his honeymoon. But seeing that he started having the problem back in February, I don't know what to think....:confused:

6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Maybe it's revised code for anal fissure.

7. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

I seriously doubt there is or ever has been any connection between Johnson's pelvis and Matsui's anus.

Not that there's anything wrong with that..........

disaacks3 likes this.
  8. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Got Penicillin?

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That Taylor might take some reps doesn't mean he's in for a position change. Taylor looks like a FB the same as Jameel Cook looks like a RB. And Cook actually had to play RB in an emergency situation, last season. Why not ask if Cook is being moved to RB?

10. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

The door for Okam just keeps opening a little wider by the day.

Which is good b/c he needs a pretty big opening to get through it.

11. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

I'm just quoting Kubiak. And we both agree that Taylor isn't a true fullback.
    However, Kubiak tends to like smaller fullbacks.

Remember that Denver moved Mike Anderson to fullback a few years back. He is listed at 6-0 and 230 now, but at the time of the move I don't think he was quite that heavy.

Kubiak went into his first season as a head coach with Jameel Cook as the only fullback on the roster. We would both agree that Cook isn't an ideal fullback. Vonta Leach wasn't signed until October. Kubiak cut Moran Norris in May, although he, like Leach, seems to be what we all want in a fullback.

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Why are people so caught up in the idea of Taylor of playing FB ? If
    its because he's about 220 lbs, so what ? If he's 245 he's still got to be
    able to block, right ? Can he block ?
    As far as drafting Okam, I always wondered if TJ wasn't the biggest reason for the pick and not whether or not Okam was a value in the 5th round ?
    TJs performance while here has been very inconsistant, and given that he is really more suited to play AOs position as a 3-technique type and not next to him as a 2-gapper was further reason to take Okam.
    Now this medical issue is just one more reason to wonder about TJs future in Houston ?

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I think it comes from folks wanting him on the team and trying to figure a way to get him there with all the RBs we have. Besides, Cook isn't to good anyway.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I don't wonder about his future here. I happen to think he's a pretty good ball player. As many times as I've watched this past season's games, TJ's the last DT I'd point blame at. I do like the fact we got Okam to better fullfill the NT position, but IMO Okoye has to make that step otherwise we'll be in the same boat as last season. Maddox, Zgonina, etc. aren't the answer either.

IMO, TJ's our best DT on the roster after last season. It all depends on whether Amobi can take that next step.

:fans:

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Sure he needs to block but we don't tend to use the FB as a smash mouth blocking back all that much. Like aj touched on, Kubiak uses the FB all over the field and a bit like a H-back and thats one reason I was hoping we would go after a guy like Jacob Hester if he was around later in the draft. Hester is about the same size as Taylor fwiw. Hester combined with Tomlinson and Gates at TE....who needs wrs? Norv Turner died and went to heaven.

16. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think the point is, whatever you label C.Taylor, he needs to make this team. If that means he's one of four TBs on the roster and we only have one FB, then fine. With the injury history of Chris Brown and AGreen, they can't cut him loose.

My bet is, if everyone makes it out of camp healthy, Taylor will be one of four HBs on the roster, we'll keep one FB, and, John Abbate will be on the practice squad for insurance.

17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

These quotes from the HT.com quotes are an illustration of why you should read HT.com before reading anything from the Chronicle.

Here's an excerpt from Manfull's article:

It's written in a way to invite ridicule. Ha ha, Travis did his wedding instead of minicamp and now he has an inflamed pelvis.

If you read all the quotes at HT.com, you would know that he has had this problem for a while, inclulding in the months of February and March.

Thank goodness for the Texans putting all the quotes on their website, so you can get a more complete view of things. I realize the Chronicle has limited space in the paper to put stories down and that their deadlines are tight, but I don't care for writing that possibly misleads a reader.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Good point. And since our FBs catch the ball out of the backfield, they have
    to be able to block and act as a receiver. And that may make Taylors qualifications to play FB in our system even more dubious because I have no idea if he's got any hands ? So that's in addition to questions about his blocking skills ?

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I said the same thing when we drafted Okam, and was told I didn't know what I was talking about.

20. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I said this before we drafted Okam. With pretty much the same result.