Orr / Peek / Babin

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HeartofHouston, Dec 27, 2005.

1. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

IF... we dont pick up a great parr rushing OLB/DE Tweener and stay in the 3-4 this offseason..

who would you start at the OLB positions??

I like what Orr has been doing for the team as of late.. and as i stated.. we're behind alot and he still manages to put up good sack numbers for the team.. imagine what he could do if he gets to pin his ears back and get after the QB when we have the lead..

Peek has great intensity (which alot of the times leads to DUMB penalities), good cover LB tho.. A Very high motor. he just kills us with stupid penalties..

Babin well I dont really have a lot of say about him.. he was not impressive to me in any game that I've seen from him.. He plays a bit slow and sloppy in my personal opinion..

----

In my opinion IF we dont pick up a good OLB for a 3-4 i would start..

Orr and Peek (hopefully our next coach will get Peek straight about the whole stupid penality thing..)

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what I think about our OLB's, but I'm sure wondering if the Astro's new left fielder can play ILB for us. Talk about a run stuffer.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Bobblehead from ClutchFans.net.

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

He's our other ILB along with Greenwood.

4. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

That is our main problem. Greenwood is still playing ILB.

5. YoungTexanFan

Personally, if we stayed with our group and made NO changes at all...my LB starters would be: Greenwood, Wong, Babin, Orr

6. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Greenwood isnt big enough to play OLB in the 3-4

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I would start Babin and Orr at OLB...

8. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

That looked pretty good last week (Jags).

9. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I didn't concentrate solely on Babin when our defense was on the field, but to me it seemed he was more comfortable coming out of a 3 point stance instead of a standing position...

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Babin has been hurt most of the season ..... I think Babin and Orr are the best choice (If Healthy) ..... Peek has all the physical tools to be a Great OLB but just not the snap to go along with it .... Orr ahs made the most of his opportunity

11. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Hard to say. We're probably gonna go to a 4-3 of some sort if a coaching change occurs. There will more than likely be a total re-construction of our front 4 as well as our LB's. Denver got away with it with their front 4 and that will be the barometer. As far as the LB's go in a 4-3: Orr @olb Wong @mlb and Anderson @olb. Peek is gone after this season, Babin is the rotating back-up for the olb's and we'll either bring a 2nd string type mlb or draft in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th a mlb to give Polk some competition @ the mlb back-up. He'll likely lose that job. And as much as I hate to say it, cuz I love the guys effort, Troy Evans is a possible goner as well.

And that is just this season, next season will be very interesting regarding the LB's. It could also be our 1st round pick in the 07' draft.

12. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

In regards to Peek, I think our coaching staff thought that about another linebacker whom they let go and he signed with San Diego and became a pro bowler. Personally, I think we should keep Peek as a starter. I like his intensity that he shows for the whole game. A new coach can fix the penalty problem....there's just too much natural talent to pass up on.:twocents:

13. Frills

Frills Veteran

I think Peek would do well under a coach who disiplines his players when they f-up

14. Holden135

Holden135 Veteran

I think next year the big training camp battle will be between Peek and Babin for the last OLB spot. I think Orr has played himself into a lock at one of the positions. I also think you will still see a bit of a tandem at the last olb spot between peek and babin to keep a fresh body on the field at all times.

15. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

In the preseason i'd give them equal playing time and see who does best. Easy as that. I'd also give Pettway a look.

16. YoungTexanFan

Geenwood isnt good enough to play MLB in the 3-4.

He isnt the run stuffer you need.

He makes his reads slower than David Carr.

He still has not adjusted to MLB yet.

17. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

Personally it's rough to hear how projects take a few years when Merriman comes out early and dominates. Dude is a freak though so I guess he doesn't count. It's definitely time these guys should become a force. If not, well expect another high pick next year. With that said bring in Parys Haralson in the 3rd to push these guys.

18. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

On top of that, DeMarcus Ware of the Cowboys has also had a stellar rookie season, playing as a LB in the 3-4 defense for the first time. (Merriman played the 3-4 in college at Maryland.)

I mention that because Casserly has previously made the excuse that it takes 3 years for a college DE to learn to play LB in the 3-4.

19. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

In fairness to our LB's, Merriman and Ware play for DC who play the 3-4 the way it is meant to be played (a go-get-after them mentality, not the sit back and read of the Texan's style).

Orr has earned his spot, move Wong back outside and draft a MLB in the second. Peek and Babin come in as reserves.

20. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

If we do that then there goes one of our 2004 first round picks :brickwall