Thanks for your support!

OptimisticTexan Mock 2.0, 2.1, 2.2...

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
My Mock 2.0 has a few different scenarios:

No Trades Mock 2.0
RD1-25-025: Garett Bolles / RT / Utah
RD2-25-057: Obi Melifonwu / SS / Connecticut
RD3-25-089: D'Onta Foreman / RB / Texas **My fear is his Combine could push him up**
RD4-24-131: Zac Banner / RG / USC
RD5-25-169: Jake Butt / TE / Michigan **Can only hope his injury allows him to slide, if not...** or Jeremy Sprinkle / TE / Arkansas
RD6-04-188: Javarius Lemon / OT / South Carolina State
RD7-25-243: Josh Tupou / DT / Colorado

Mock 2.1 with Trade: Browns Get- Hopkins, RD3-25-89 and Osweiler (+- 50% of Salary) / Texans Get: RD2-01-033, RD3-01-065 and RD4-36-142
RD2-01-033: Obi Melifonwu / SS / Connecticut
RD2-25-089: D'Onta Foreman / RB / Texas
RD3-01-065: Chidobe Awuzie / CB / Colorado
RD4-36-142: Jake Butt / TE / Michigan
RD5-25-169: Kenny Golladay / WR / Northern Illinois
RD6-04-188: Chad Kelly / QB / Ole Miss **Should be here and be safe on the PS for a season while he learns the system and matures. Potential gains outweigh the risk with this pick**

Mock 2.2 with Trade: Patriots Get- Hopkins / Texans Get: Garoppolo and RD3-39-103
RD2-25-057: Obi Melifonwu / SS / Connecticut
RD3-25-089: D'Onta Foreman / RB / Texas
RD3-39-103: Noah Brown / WR / Ohio State
RD5-25-169: Jake Butt / TE / Michigan or Jeremy Sprinkle / TE / Arkansas
RD6-04-188: Javarius Lemon / OT / South Carolina State

If Hopkins gets traded the Texans will fall into last place sports priority for me. It will be Rockets/Astros/Texans if he is gone.

I'm not in favor of adding a vet WR, rarely have they panned out and Texans have an excellent core group of experience that will continue to develop w/reps. Hopkins is going into year five, Strong/Mumphery year three, Fuller/Miller year two.

Texans need to do better job addressing OL/DL via free agency. Jeff Allen aside another Guard/Tackle & interior DL to replace Wilfork. These are positions which to land impact player as rookie 1st and 2nd round picks.

If Hopkins gets traded the Texans will fall into last place sports priority for me. It will be Rockets/Astros/Texans if he is gone.

Why?

I kinda feel that way if Os is starting, but I'm a Houston Texans 1st kinda guy.

Reactions: JB
I had a similar question a while back if we could pay part of Brock's salary in a trade. Technically, the answer is no -- but if I'm reading the linked article right, it looks like there's a way to structure it that would accomplish the same thing. It would require Brock being open to renegotiating his contract and convert part of his salary into signing bonus. Brock would be getting the same amount of $ and presumably going to team that wants him so he should be open to the idea. I'm guessing the trickier part is finding a team that wants him.

Teams aren’t allowed to include cash or cap room in trades under NFL rules. The way around it, which was done when the Jacksonville Jaguars traded Eugene Monroe to the Baltimore Ravens in 2013, is for the team and player to restructure the contract before the trade by converting salary into signing bonus. It operates essentially the same way as including cash or cap room because the acquiring team’s cap hit for the player in the current league year is reduced. Eating salary in this manner could be a way for the Vikings to increase the compensation received for Peterson.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...u-need-to-know-about-trading-adrian-peterson/

What rookies? And that's Hopkins job. IMO vets who aren't good enough to have a starting spot aren't teaching much to the youngsters anyway.
It's not the 2017 NFL season until the 9th, so technically they are still rookies.
Like I said, an "older" statesman may be looked up to more and have more of an impact, plus have more experience on the field.

It's not the 2017 NFL season until the 9th, so technically they are still rookies.
Like I said, an "older" statesman may be looked up to more and have more of an impact, plus have more experience on the field.

Well non-technicality the discussion is about practice, play and inspiration which would occur after the 9th.

And like I said, generally young players won't show the respect you're looking for unless the vet can still win a starting job. That's expensive and takes experience away from the young'uns. Plus most players go thru their whole careers without playing sideline coach.

We've got 4 receivers who should see the bulk of the play time next year, so I'm not spending money or a high draft pick on a WR. I do acknowledge that every WR on this team has a lot to prove, and disappointments to overcome. Hopkins did have a down year in 2015, Fuller as a 1st rounder with notable drops in his rookie season, Mumphrey as the 5th receiver, and with 3rd round picks B. Miller and Strong coming back after season ending injuries.

Well non-technicality the discussion is about practice, play and inspiration which would occur after the 9th.
Correct. Which is why I made the point that these rookies would benefit from an older experienced guy.
Not quite sure why you nit-picked there.

And like I said, generally young players won't show the respect you're looking for unless the vet can still win a starting job. That's expensive and takes experience away from the young'uns. Plus most players go thru their whole careers without playing sideline coach.
You may be right about the respect part of it, but an old dog could still show these young puppies a thing or two.

Back