Opening Up The Playbook

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Scooter, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Scooter

Scooter Funky

maybe i'm entirely making this up, but is it possible we're using only portions of the playbook each week? it seems every week we focus on plays from one or two formations only on offense. this week it was a 3wide, 1TE and Motion/2TE sets almost exclusively. last week it was a lot of 3wide I formations and 2wide/1te I formation. before that it was 2 tightends on one side and 2 wr's on the other. against the eagles we motioned to an empty backfield many times.

are we only using a new portion of the offensive playbook each week ... maybe going slow this year as the players & the staff learn and get on the same page? or am i just seeing something that isnt there?

2. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I think you are correct in that they are only using certain portions of the playbook.

Apparently, they did a lot of deep throws over the middle in practice for the Cowboys game, but if you watched the game, it never happened.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Quoting Kubiak..."we will only go as far as Carr takes us". I have come to surmise that this is about 4 yards...a pop.

4. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Kubiak can say what he wants but I think when he made that statement he wasn't envisioning Dayne averaging 1.3 ypc for an entire game.

5. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

Funny, but true. :)

6. Vinny

we won't be able to run till we can start to stretch the field and hurt teams with the passing game. Teams let us dink and dunk all game long and it always gets us nowhere.

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Kubiak stated that on the talk show.. Dallas was playing 2 over the top and Kubiak did say that there were a few times that we could have gone over the top.

9. Vinny

as we all know...no team can ever beat a two deep coverage.

10. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Vinny its the coaches call and he's calling them. Carr does what Kubiak wants and that's the gist of it. You think Carr is the problem and I think Kubiak is as bad or worse than Capers. Who's right I don't know, but the one thing we both agree on is it absolutely SUCKS.

11. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

The running game is horrid and the QB gets blamed, awesome.

12. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

As we have discussed, EVERYTHING IS CARR's fault. Osama Bin Carr planned 9-11, made our running game pathetic, and is at fault for the Great Hurricaine of 1900!

Kubiak is way to conservative and I like the guy and wanted him here. He needs to allow the offense to throw down the field regardless of the Safeties playing deep, let AJ fight and go up for the ball. GRANTED, AJ drops passes in his hands, but we all know that is Carrs fault.

13. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

The O-line doesn't know the system yet. The RB's don't get the concept of the system yet(has anyone seen a cutback yet?)

14. Vinny

I really don't care who is to blame right now but we have got to find a way to make defenses defend the entire field. We just have too many dink and dunk passes to keep any defense honest imo. Every team cheats up on us because we don't burn anyone in the seam or deep middle. Teams just defend the sidelines and make sure they keep the backs and TE's in front of them. That helps them cheat up on the run.

15. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I don't know why they would cheat up on the run. I see it more as, we haven't been able to run the ball efficiently at any time so the defenders barely even pay attention to Dayne. I agree we need to be a little more threatening with our WRs though. Carr has generally showed good decision making this season so far..it just seems like with the ability for some PA to work we would see more. Is Kubiak trying too hard to use the run to setup the pass when we should be attempting the opposite? Of course then that brings up your point on whether Carr is even capable of stretching the field to help the run.

16. Vinny

To force you to pass the ball downfield. Defenses take away another teams strength and make them beat you with what they do second best.

17. D-Vizzl

D-Vizzl Veteran

In terms of opening up the playbook, on offense it's as simple as your last two games played.

Roy Williams, Anthony Henry, Terrance Newman, and Pat Watkins <<< Hank Baskett, Reggie Brown, Greg Lewis, and LJ Shelton because the coaches planned to throw down the field on a horrible coverage secondary

Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, Walter, Putzier, and Daniels <<< The Cowboys secondary because the coaches felt the need to take what the Cowboys gave us, even though they gave us an open middle of the field often.

Until we get some Chef's ( chocolate salty balls) we won't win many games.

18. Texan1

Texan1 Veteran

I couldn't see the field, I was not at he game. So, I cannot comment on whether there were open recievers down field. I numerous occassions in the 1st half I saw Carr look and almost pull it downfield, then hold back and dink. Not sure what he was seeing or whther they were playing conservative.

We've only won one game (or played well for one game for that matter) - and it was the only game we challenged the D downfield. You maybe right Vinny

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Vinny normaly I agree with most of your opinions, but on this one I feel your wrong. If you can't run the ball, you can't do anything. Nobody respects our running game and can pretty much sit back and load up to stop the long ball. You get big plays when you force the defense to move the defense up to the line, when you avg. about 1 yard a carry and can't even pick up 3rd and 1's in the past game why would anybody care about that threat. The only threat we pose is our passing game, we are one demensional. look at the teams that make big plays then, they all have one thing in common a respectable running game, until we have that we will be a ding and dunk offense and take what the defense allows us to have. Our offense is nothing but sheep being herded aroung and being allowed to do what "they" allow us to do and that is not going to change until we can run the ball.

We have been gripping for Palmer to open up the offense for 4 years, maybe in Dallas yesterday he had the weapons to do so, just something to think about.

20. Vinny

I've seen teams that can only run or only pass. We really can't do either. Until we beat someone with our passing game we can't say it's doing much more than churning stats with dink passes.