open or closed

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by utahmark, Aug 8, 2005.

1. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

im guessing that after the opening day loss last year to sd, they will keep the roof open this year against a cold weather pittsburgh team.

2. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

i think the roof deal has more to do with the fans than the team. i mean if it's 90+ degrees, they'll keep the roof shut to accomodate the fans.

3. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Wrong.

See: Raiders game, 2004.

4. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

i don't think i'm totally wrong on this one.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

It would be foolish not to play a home town conditioning advantage. Miami's streak was at least influenced by the temperature--and notice they got beat by a hot weather team. Stick Pittsburgh in black and let them sweat.

6. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i have to agree. even though i would much rather sit in the air conditioning. if they are considering going to the playoffs and beating a very good pitt team then they need every advantage that they can get.

7. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

i agree that the heat is our advantage early in the season and that we should use it to our advantage.

8. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

first there can't be ANY rain in the area of the entire town of Houston. Then the wind has to be lower than 35 MPH. And the heat factor for the fans is a consideration also. If all of that is good, then the roof will be open.

We should leave it open to give us an advantage over Pitts, but some of that is out of everyone's hands with the NFL rules regarding our roof.

9. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

what does the raider game have to do with it? the temperature for the raiders game at gametime was 88 degrees and the temperature at the start of the chargers game was 93 degrees. both days had no rain, but was the roof open on opening day for san diego? i'm just curious as to why the roof was open for the raiders game and closed for the san diego game?

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Probably because we seriously underestimated San Diego. :goodnight

11. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

The position of the roof has no bearing when discussing how good or bad a team is. Good teams overcome adverse conditions to win. Bad teams are bad not matter the roof being open or not. IMHO. I am pretty sure they close roof when it is stifling hot for the fans.

12. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

*bbbuuuzzzzzzz*

Think. Black jerseys, temps 5-10 degrees higher than the team is used to, and more humidty than the team is used to.

I don't care HOW good you are, this WILL affect your players to some degree.

13. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

I understand it will affect the players, but if I were a coach I would not rely heavily on the opposition being too hot to perform. I would have a solid gameplan that would exploit the opposition. Like running a no-huddle offense for a couple series with alot of running the ball, if I had a 2-TD lead. The roof can help, but the players and the coaches gameplan wins the game.

14. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Yes, I agree with that :cool:

15. geofb

geofb Veteran

Does anyone know for sure (vs. just blowing hot air out of our rears) what guidelines the Texans have on open vs. closed roof? In year 1 they published what the NFL rules were. It dealt with rain/lightning, etc. It said nothing at all about heat. It could be 200 degrees on the field and the NFL guideline at that time was silent on roof open or closed in 200 degree weather.

Before last years SD game, there seemed to be no concern whatsoever on the part of the Texans in regards to closing the roof due to heat. The roof stayed open regardless of how hot it was. But the SD game broke the mold...no rain anywhere in sight and though it was hot I think we have had hotter games in the past with the roof being kept open. Was that SD game just a one time oddity or is there some new rule(s) in effect that the Texans go by regarding heat and roof position?

Again, does anyone really know?

16. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

Did you every think that the weather wouldn't bother SD that much since they play in hot weather also. The Raiders play in a coller climate, so the roof was open.

Unfortunally, I don't think the fan consideration has nothing to do with it, weather the roof is open or closed.

17. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

screw pansy fans who can't take the heat. that's what i hate about some fellow houston fans. you freakin go out and do yardwork in this weather, why not support the team you pay hundred (maybe thousands) to go see.

i hate domed stadiums...can ya tell? ;)

18. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Tell that to all the fans at minute maid field. notice how in july and august, the roof stays closed more than open.

19. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I say keep it closed. When i did yard work in the heat was becuase I had to. Yard work is just that...work. When i want to relax I want to do so in a nice comfortble enviorment. And I hope the one game I attend yearly will be closed and cool!
    :highfive:

20. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

Then attend a game in December.