One things for sure!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dickieb, Aug 12, 2007.

1. dickieb

dickieb Veteran

In the name of everything Holy....

Van Pelt is freaking terrible! Holy crap, how much of that did we need to see? Dude could of ran for 15 yards and he goes bowling and throws the ball to no one. The only person he hit all night was a Bear right in the chest and he couldn't even catch a Van Pelt pass. I will have serious doubts about the FO if they even let him think about taking another snap in a game, practice, or the dang parking lot.

What scares me...

I understand that it really doesn't mean much to win in preseason. But like Coach Ditka said in the NFL replay of the game, it's all about having good habits and winning games is a good habit to get into. I saw the guys leaving the field I think it was Studdard hanging his head. I do not want them to beat themselves up and get down, and lack confidence right out of the block because of a preseaon game in which the staff felt they needed to do Van Pelt a favor, or to see some more of his skills.

This is what I don't get. If we say it's just preseaon and we don't care to win I'm cool with the way things played out. But Kubiak, don't come out and say we wanted to win or it's a confidence builder when we win in preseason (not sure that he did). Kubiak should not even talk about losing the game since he allowed that sorry excuse for a QB to continue to play. We were up 19 - 7, and numb nutz can't even hand the ball off without a turnover, much less convert a 1st down. I do not blame our 3rd string "D" because they didn't get much of a rest with Van P leading the offense.

Then the icing on the cake...

The game over with Van Pelt at the helm, with seconds remaining & no timeouts remaining you (because apparently only you can) catch your own pass instead of knocking it down to conserve time. This kid doesn't look like a high school caliber player, much less NFL. I do not want to hear of him wasting anymore or our staff's time or focus. Let's cut his butt and see some Porter or Zabransky from now on, can I get an AMEN!

There now, I feel much better.:whip:

2. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

there's absolutely no way Zabransky can ruin the game like van pelt did.. hopefully J.Z. gets some reps next saturday.

3. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Kubiak actually defended him in his press conference, sort of anyway. Good kid, trying to hard, he'll be out there tomorrow working HARD, all that sort of stuff we hear when coaches don't want to tell the truth.

4. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

No doubt. I don't think it is Kubiak's nature to embarrass a kid in the press. I think that was Kubiak speak for... He's gone.

5. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

bug patrol.

When you edit and save it often saves as a new post.

6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Zabransky has an air about him. We'll see how it translates to the field next week. If he can keep himself under control, he's a lock to make the p.s. In a way he reminds me of a young Jeff Garcia.

It's time for Bradlee to consider a new career path. Porter too.

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

you guys just don't get it. :stirpot:

Van Pelt is a diversion. It's Kubiak's way of making the fans grade Schaub "on the curve". After watching one quarter with Van Pelt at the helm, Schaub looks like Drew Brees by comparison.
    Devilishly clever, eh?
    :sarcasm:

8. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

lol i was thinking about something like that too!

9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Van Pelt's father was a linebacker Probowler many times over.........could a favor be called in?

Furthermore, there were doubts at the beginning about the position that he was to play in the NFL. Since he intercepted his own pass, the critics seem to have been proven correct.

Lastly, his emotional stability when faced with pressure and/or adversity should have been predictable from college experiences

Lots of signs............and we have to be the ones stuck with diagnosing the "sickness," "treating" it, and now, hopefully "curing" it.......by "cutting" it out:

10. jdog

jdog All Pro

Hmm...I wonder if he gets to try out for the free safety position. :gun:

11. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

That isn't necessarily a bad idea. Just because he can't play QB doesn't mean he can't play another position. He just needs to play a position that wouldn't ever have an opportunity to throw a forward pass. :d:

12. jdog

jdog All Pro

Yes, he's 6'2", 220lbs, and he has anger issues and linebacker genes. Oh, plus he's fighting for a job, and we are hoping to find something better than a body to compete for the job. I think it's worth a try.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Van Pelt is another guy on the roster I think of as a FOG - Friend Of Garys.
    But being the only player in the game who catchs one of the passes has a real sense of irony to it.

14. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Van Pelt couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat, he would wind up in a tree somehow.

That basically says what I think about his performance.

15. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Van Pelt makes Carr look like Peyton Manning...

I mean wow...I couldn't help but laugh at him for some reason...it was just so bad.

Also he is the perfect example of how a QB can make his OL WORSE...you know what I am getting at. He made everyone around him worse.

I bet Lundy was thinking "Man i'll be lucky to make the team if this guy is handing it off to me all preseason."

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Well, he didn't have any trouble hitting that DB when he spiked the ball off of his face, lol. :user:

17. dickieb

dickieb Veteran

Don't we carry 3 QB's? We will need either Zabransky or Porter to be our 3rd string QB because guess who's listed as our 3rd string on our website...

Yep, you guessed it Van Puke!

18. dickieb

dickieb Veteran

I'm getting a little tired of Gary's favors, I don't think he should be so worried about doing favors for old buddies. I want to see him do what's best for our football team!

19. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

i am not sure, preseason and depth charts fluctuate ..i don't know if anyone takes much stock in the charts this time of year, players are still jockeying for positons.(or should be)

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Not on the 53.

It will be Schaub and Sage on the 53....with Z a likely candidate for the practice squad and Porter and VanPelt released.