One of the possible reasons Casserly didnt pick RB.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ClintonPortis26, May 7, 2006.

1. ClintonPortis26

ClintonPortis26 Rookie

Desmond Howard/HB/Michigan

He was suppose to be a "Cant Miss Prospect" Here in Washington. He was the Heisman Trophy Winner and you could utilize him both in Run/Pass/KR/PR game. The only thing he did in his career was help the Green Bay packers an return KR for them. He was suppose to be THE RUNNING BACK" Of the Redskins and really screwed us over...along with Heath Shuler, Micheal Westbrook, and Andre Johnson but thats a diffrent story...

Just was thinking of the reasons why Charlie Casserly might of passed on him...

Anway, I think Charlie could of picked either Reggie Bush or Mario Williams and make the right choice. Especially with the Colts and Vince Young and the Titans in your division.

2. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

Super Mario was only choice with Colts and Jacksonville in our division...harass and distract until he gives DRob 10 picks:redtowel:

3. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Casserly "passed" on Bush because he and Kubiak thought Mario Williams was the best player for this team, and I agree with them on that.

4. HeroTime

HeroTime Rookie

Minor error. Desmond Howard was a WR not a RB. Now back to your regular program.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

6. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

dont mean to stir up the pot but the only reason and i mean the only reason we passed on bush was money dont get me wrong i love the pick i never wanted bush. but like i said it was all about money.

7. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Because Kubiak is an offensive minded coach and has made studs out of decent RBs. He can work magic on our offense, but he needs better players on defense to help him out in that area.

8. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I think that's a more reasonable reason :mario:

9. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

ORRRRR,,,,A BIG ORRRR :),,,,MAYBE just MAYBE its cause the Front Office thought we already had a very good young RB. I mean that could have been a possibility,,,ya think !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

What? No Way!! Whats Domanick Davis done other than come 24 yards shy of being 1 of only 5 players in NFL History to rush for 1000 yards in their 1st 3 seasons . . . :heh:

11. ClintonPortis26

ClintonPortis26 Rookie

A very good running back is Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Clinton Portis(24). Plus its not like Dominic Davis is not inreplaceable hes so good homer...

Im not trying to stir anything up, I just posted why I thought he might of done it. Then over emotional people like this come and start being sarcastic and start pissin me off.

Back on subject.

12. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

We're probably going to wishing we'd drafted some sort of RB about 1/2 through the season when DD goes down for whatever reason. Not trying to stir the pot - just going with what's happened during every season DD's been on the team...

13. MadBurgerMaker

MadBurgerMaker Rookie

The Texans drafted Wali Lundy, RB from Virginia.

Edit: Oh..and dont forget about Morency. He'll be there if DD gets injured.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

IMO, when looking at a prospect, especially #1 overall.... you can't look at the "bust factor"....... You look at him.. & decide if you can use what he has to win football games.

It's up to that team, to put the prospect in a position to succeed. Now you have the headcases..... Rikki Williams..... and the players who refuse to take their game to the next level........ Desmond Howard........ fast... elusive...... didn't want to run routes, or learn to catch.

Looking at Reggie, most people are thinking he's ready. He doesn't have much, if anything to learn.

Looking at Mario...... he's got it all..... Power... Speed.....versatility.... He too brings something to the game, that will help win football games. Also, a #1 prospect.

I think there was an interview of McNair(I don't have the link) where he says it was Kubiaks decision.... He said Kubiak put his coaches in two different rooms. Told them to put together an offensive & a deffensive package..... he said to show him what the team would look like with that player, and then what it would look like without.

There was a bigger gap in the deffensive package with/without Mario. He decided to pick Mario with the #1 overall.

We will score points guys..... & we will win games without Reggie Bush.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Domanicks Rookie year was better than all those guys.

Except Clinton Portis...... but he was in Denver.

DD is also a little more verstile than Clinton.... in just three years, DD has more recieving yards than Clintion has in 4.

Clinton's the man.... I won't deny.. he's amazing..... fast..... explosive.... but DD is just as good.. but different.... not as fast... not as explosive, but he'll get you the same yards... and maybe a little more. Maybe.

16. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Given all of the film he has watched, I bet Kubiak knows that too.

17. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I honestly believe that we had to go to the trenches in the draft sooner or later.. It is a double edge sword for this franchise, we continue to draft skill positions early on and all through the season we gripe about the OL/DL.. but when we draft that way we are griping about not getting a skill position player...

it is basically a no-win situation when you are losing

18. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

yeah very good post. I mean D.D a 4th round no body to what he is now,,,,thats a real success story,,,plus he is AWESOME !!!!

19. TexanBorn51

TexanBorn51 Veteran

I remember reading this editorial in a magazine named Slate(Slate.com). Take it for what it's worth...for better or for worse. I think it's better energy worrying about keeping Carr from getting hurt than DD.

Empty Backfield
    Why running backs are overrated.
    By Aaron Schatz Posted Wednesday, Sept1,2004, at 5:00 PM ET

It's guys like you, Ricky, who are overrated

When Ricky Williams retired last month, it was thought to be a massive blow to the Miami Dolphins. After all, in his two years with the team, Williams ran for 3,225 yards and carried the ball more times than an NFL running back ever had in a two-year period. Even so, Miami should consider itself lucky to be rid of him. If the Dolphins can get over the emotional hurdle of losing their workhorse, they'll soon figure out that he wasn't as important as they thought. That's because the star running back is the most overrated player in football.
    Everywhere you look, the running back is exalted. Coaches and announcers talk about the importance of giving the ball to a star runner early and late in the game. Fantasy football, typically structured to make running backs far and away the most important players, leaves fans obsessed with identifying the next "stud back."

But in reality, a good passing game is always more important than a good running game

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Now that's just silly. You want to win championships?? You have to run the ball, and you have to be able to stop the run.

Something the Colts forget in the post season.