On the Clock: Remember first-round receivers?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/stor...-round-receivers??CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=23

I didn't know he was so big

2. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    There's a few really big guys at WR this draft. Another is Cal Poly's Ramses Barden at 6'6'' 229. There are a few other 6'3''/6'4'' guys too.

3. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well it's pretty simplistic...but it basically boils down to get the QB....DE's and the tweener linebackers, OLBs/DTs with a pass rush. Protect the QB....offensive left tackles....you're spending 45 to 80....100 million on the QBs...makes sense.
    Defend the QB....lock down corners. Problem with lock down corners is there are very few of them.

The problem with the WR's even the elite WRs coming out in any given class....there is a learning curve with them ....all of them. People tend to forget how much trouble Andre Johnson had when he came in. Or how much of a risk he was at the #3 position. He worked on his hands and the balls quit bouncing off of him. Now he's arguably one of the top five if not the top pro receiver(s) in the game.

So even when you have an Elite guy Like a Calvin Johnson...he's going to struggle on the next level. All of them. So it's kinda a developmental pick. You better love the guy if you're going to pay him 50 million. Most coaches must find starters not projects. I think the over all talent in the class among receivers is down a little bit....What drives them down the board is the glut of them and the needs at other positions. Look how long it took Detroit to hit one. JMHO.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. Spled

Spled All Pro

It's probably not fair to have Matt Jones on that list of busts. He's received for over 2100 yards in his career. Maybe Houston should bring him in for a look now that he's a free agent.

5. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

hell to the mother ******* no thank you. sorry but i don't want coke heads on my nfl roster.

6. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Its basically gone from WRs that have no business going in the first round to pass rushers that have no business going in the first round.

Certain positions always get inflated. OT is the new hot position that sees less talented guys going early.