On Roger Goodell

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texans_Chick, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I thought y'all would be interested in this:

Is Roger Goodell an Unthinking Moralist?

I think that there are a lot of players and fans that are less than impressed with his tenure as commish. I don't think this is something that is said much by the mainstream media because they don't want to make the NFL angry.

But it is strange. Very rarely do I ever write something semi-controversial that the commenters are all saying, yeah, thanks for saying that. I think it touches a nerve.

2. Polo

Polo Guest

I didn't realize the Bears got the 49ers pick...

That is the dumbest thing I ever heard of...

And thats a good read...

3. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I have heard this brought up before but not into such detail. There was a player who was suspended from the Bengals and at first Goodell denied him reinstatement then relented. Some were saying Goodell was being to heavy handed with the reinstatement. it was a player who was suspended prior to Goodell taking office.

I have to say I will need to read more, going through the links you provided. This could turn into a huge debate and battle in the NFL and here as well. I know have not voiced my opinion yet but I need to read more, first.

4. Polo

Polo Guest

From the article:

That's what it seems like to me...

5. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

6. Fox

Fox All Pro

Good read and for the most part I agree. Goodell seems to have the final say in all matters, he doesn't seem to have a uniform approach to them, and he's using his influence often. When you throw down these massive punishments, and do so arbitrarily with no explicit guidelines it just asks for people to question your decisions and get in a hissy. Just look at David Stern and the NBA. His decision to sit Amare Stoudamire of the Suns last year simply for standing too far from the bench quite possibly changed the course of the playoffs. That's bad for business when your league's games are decided by the old guys in offices and not the guys playing the game.

On the other hand, Pac Man is friggin ridiculous. I think he deserves the punishment he's received. And as for the 49er's, serves em right that they lost their pick. Just because a. everyone does it, and b. they didn't get the player doesn't mean they shouldn't be punished after being caught for something that is against the league's rules. It doesn't make sense to only punish someone for successfully cheating, ie. tampering and signing the player.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Roger Goodell doesn't operate in a vacuum. He's hired by the 32 NFL owners to a job. And that job description is basically to keep the brand name "National Football League" in good repute.

I don't think morality has anything to do with Goodell's actions. Pacman Jones and Bill Belichick's actions were counter productive to the long-term interests of the NFL. Goodell came down hard because he had the backing of the owners. Of course the players don't like it. At least not the ones who play fast and loose with the rules or the law. But what are they going to do? Quit and become professional dancers? If they wish to continue playing football and making millions, they need to realize they have a vested interest in the the business that is the NFL. Else, get pulled like a bad tooth. And Roger Goodell is cold blooded dentist who doesn't use Novocaine.

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I agree that he is supposed to maintain the name in good standing.

The problem, as I see it, is making league punishment all about Roger.

I think there are other ways he could have handled the punishment without increasing the attention to the badness.Leagues have done it for years.

Creating uncertainty and debate over league discipline is not healthy and is horrible for planning and can possibly be franchise killing.

The PacMan rule is an illustration of how hard cases make bad law. Once you make up stuff to throw the book at PacMan and the Patriots, you have set a standard that you might feel uncomfortable with for other situations.

You might not be concerned with it now, but maybe more when Goodell does something that screws over your favorite team and/or creates uncertainty and looks like a rip (flipping 49ers pick with the Chicago huh?).

The drug policy is good. You violate it, you generally know what happens if everybody followed procedures. You might love it or hate it but you know what will happen.

"Whatever Rog Feels" is the sort of standard that can make people feel like he might be biased for or against their team even if he doesn't intend to.

9. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

im curious to see if he re-instates PacMan before he does Odell Thurman.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

So if the league set up a commission of three owners or whatever, you think it would appear or in fact be any less arbitrary or have substantially different results?

How?

Bad facts can make bad law, but disparate facts can make disparate results which are totally justified and yet appear arbitrary.

How can you possibly write a rule for the NFL which basically encompasses all human indiscretion and criminal conduct and reduce it to a predictable standard? I get the concern, but don't see how it translates into a solution without more.

11. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

There is a very clear rule in the NBA that if you leave the bench during an altercation, it's an automatic suspension.

The Stoudamire suspension was not an arbitrary ruling by Stern.

It's a very specific rule that came about due to the Palace Brawl a few years back.

Bad example to use.

On the Goodell subject, I haven't really kept up with it that much to really form an opinion. But, he does seem a little off.

Also, I don't understand the hair thing. But, I am a little biased since I have long hair myself.

12. Fox

Fox All Pro

Yea, after looking back at it you're right, not a good example. Probably should've gone with him making them wear suits to the game or changing the ball or something of that nature.

13. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

he's got a tough job, pac man settled everthing out of court, goodell is trying to police multi-miliionares who are above the law ( oj ), he's working on the fly, no one had ever been caught with tapes such as spygate, how do you set up a punishment? you might as well set an example

14. Fox

Fox All Pro

Maybe they could set something up with mandatory suspensions based on the number of arrests, with exceptions for increased or permanent suspensions based on the severity of the crime. Aren't crimes already organized into some type of hierarchical scheme, ie. capital offenses, federal offenses etc?

I'm not as up to date as some of you may be but it seems to me like Pac man is basically at Goodell's mercy right now, and Goodell has taken a stance that he will end his suspension when he sees fit. I would feel better about it if he had given explicit instructions like meet these goals (like don't get arrested and do x hours of community service), for this long, and you're back in with the caveat that you are walking on thin ice from now until you retire. As it stands now it seems like he's given him goals, but is not saying he will be reinstated whether or not he achieves them.

Did any of the commissioner's before Goodell suspend players for conduct (other than drugs)? For some reason I thought in the past this was an issue that teams handled individually with their troubled players.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

You certainly could attempt to, but there would always be carping about whether the various crimes deserve the same punishment in a NFL perspective as a criminal one. What do you do about the Michael Vick scenario? He could have been charged with 50+ counts and ended up charged with 1 federal and 4 state counts. What does the NFL use?--are they bound by whatever deal gets worked out?

Here I totally agree. There should be a well defined path back provided. Don't know what Pacman was told

16. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

How can C Henry on the Bangles be playing in the league if Pacman is still out. He has been in a fair amount of trouble. If it is conduct unbecoming the league how does a convicted killer play and a player only put on probation out for a season?

Don't take this as a pro Pacman thing, the only thing I am looking for is resolution from the league to end this BS stand off. If he is suspended for life just say it. How are Goodell’s actions by keeping the team dangling fair in his mind?

The suspension was stated as a year. Not some arbitrary number floating around in Goodell's head. If he wants to review the situation then Pacman and his agent and his lawyer and the players union should all meet again review the case and he should make a ruling.

17. Specnatz

Please tell me where he was convicted of killing or murder? Now if you are referring another player please state the player who did anything wrong while Goodell has been commissioner? If it is a different commissioner, then just delete your account and stop posting here, because that would mean you do not have a clue and cant afford to buy one.

18. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

19. Specnatz

Possession of unregistered firearms. No murder or deaths. Next! Not dodging anything. If you can not ask a question without giving false info, how in the world do expect anyone to give you an answer that is correct and well informed?

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

If PacMan comes to a civil settlement with the bouncer at the strip bar and pays his other restitutions in that particular case, I can not see any reason that Goodell can keep PacMan out of the league. I just think Goodell is letting him twist in the wind a little bit to further illustrate how serious Goodell is about cleaning the league up off-the-field.

I like Goodell although I feel he should have taken away the Patriots #7 pick, not their 31st for the Patriots being cheaters and especially the fact that team leadership was involved in attempting to cover up evidence.