Olinemen in the 2019 draft.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texansphan, Dec 30, 2018.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He ran a 4.40 at the combine, he's not slow.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  2. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Did I say slow? No, I said his change of speed is lacking.

There's a term in physics for it few are familiar with, jerk. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. Jerk is the rate of change of acceleration. So how fast can you go from steady to full bore? Jerk is somewhat euphemized as closing speed. Your top end doesn't matter as much as standing to full bore.

bah007 likes this.
  3. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Not to mention.....Isaiah Johnson isn't afraid to lay the lumber. I like this fact almost as much as I like his size and speed. His upside as a RD3 pick will be worth the investment.

steelbtexan likes this.
  4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

From what I saw and his 3 cone/short shuttle times seem to say he's got great short area quickness for a man his size. BTW, these are the reasons I absolutely love David Long. Awesome short area quickness.

I would have no problems at all if Gaine drafted a couple of OL and Long/Johnson with his 1st 4 picks.

infantrycak and HaveMercy like this.
  5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Love the CB picks.

Sanders is going to be a really good complimentary RB. I like Harris and Montgomery. There's a good chance 1 of these guys will be there in the 3rd.

HaveMercy likes this.
  6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Roby's not good? 15 starts 50 tackles 15 pdef and an INT; if you say things like that you quickly lose cred. I do agree Joseph could be gone but he has shown little to indicate it. If he has another good season, I could see another extension at reasonable $ while he starts and grooms a youngster or is a quality backup.

7. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Roby got abused as an outside CB last year. On 900+ snaps he allowed a 66% completion percentage and QB's had a rating of 117 when targeting him.

He gave up the 4th most yards among all CB's in the league last year.

AngryNateFTW, steelbtexan and bah007 like this.
  8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

You need to research a bit more; he had ACL in week 10 which really impacted his play that you refer to. The Texans' river poker bet is all will realign for Roby who if healthy should be a lockdown corner for one season before going to get his reward elsewhere.

9. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Roby graded as the 2nd worst player in the league in week 9, had a 55 grade through October, and finished with a grade of 59 (all by PFF).

Only injury I remember him coming back from is an ankle toward the end of the year. Regardless, his play was sub-par all season.

There's a reason the Broncos didn't try to re-sign a 26 year old former 1st round pick.

steelbtexan and bah007 like this.
  10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yep and it was cost vs risk of health and age. I may have not re-signed him either but that isn't the question. Is he worth $10 m to Houston? I say yes. You say no.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Preach on to the unwashed.

Roby isn't very good.

Good to see Bah's checking in. I would love to hear his thoughts on this draft class.

bah007 likes this.
  12. OptimisticTexan

No worries....in RC's defense he ensures that his CB's have a 15 yard head start on every snap....even on 3rd and 3's.

13. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Have any of you guys evaluated Bobby Evans-OT from Oklahoma? I watched a little film on him and came away with mixed feelings. In the run game I think he can be a stud, no issues, but in pass protection he can sometimes be late off the snap, a little slow footed, and needs to bend his knees more. I wonder if the late snap and slow footed issues are just physical conditioning issues. He looks good but with issues that would seems to be easily coachable. Opinions?

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is what I see. He's not good enough in pass pro to be a LT. But could be a serviceable RT. OU OT's have a history of being successful in the NFL.

Give me Edoga/Scharping over Evans.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  15. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

16. Wolf12339

Wolf12339 Rookie

Why do you have Greg Little behind Kaleb Mcgary?

17. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

No Jonah Williams-OT on your list?

18. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Wolf6151 and JB like this.
  19. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

He has him as a guard.

Wolf6151 likes this.
  20. OptimisticTexan

The LT I want....Dillard will be gone before the 12th pick, at least that's my call. I also fully expect OB and Devlin to give Davenport this season to prove he was worth the investment.....but they also sign Khalil as insurance if their faith doesn't pay off. With this.....I want the Texans to make a strong run at Mitch Hyatt if he's still on the board in RD5, this is where I really miss having that RD4 pick.

Anyhow, Hyatt had a stellar 4 year run at LT while protecting Watson, Kelly and Lawrence. His 4 year tenure saw Clemson play in 3 CFB Championships and walking away with 2 trophies. Both Watson and Lawrence are and will be considered top franchise QB's in the NFL.

Hyatt faced great defensive talent that will be taking or have already taken their talent to the NFL. He did this consistently over his 4 seasons and Clemson's QB's enjoyed tremendous success. If the Texans can gain him in RD5.....it'll be a steal and a tremendous insurance policy for both Davenport and Khalil.

steelbtexan and TheRealJoker like this.