OL free agents 08

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by J-Russ, Dec 2, 2007.

1. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Any good one coming out this year?

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Alan Fancea (old) Max Starks (2nd string, but young).

Other than that, not really.

3. SA Texan

SA Texan Veteran

Faneca is getting up there in age, but I would take him in a second.

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Nobody worth the money that it would take to get him.

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

No way. Draft your offensive linemen. Only rarely does a decent one who isn't over the hill hits FA.

6. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Honestly, there's no one worth taking in FA. As we've seen, even the most intriguing FA's (ala Ahman Green) might not play as expected.

However, there's a VERY solid draft class of OT's this year. If we're looking for a long time answer (and we should be after the Ahman Green fiasco), we need to just bite the bullet and draft a LT in the first round. Take your pick....

1) Jake Long, Sam Baker (no doubt we draft them but 99.99% sure they will not be available when we pick)
    2) Gosdner Cherilus, Barry Richardson, Ryan Clady, Tony Hills, Phil Loadholt

7. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Depending where we end up, we could trade down, pick an extra 3rd(maybe a second) and still get Clady.

8. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

My take, don't try and get cute with a trade down (yes, we could use the extra pick) just take the best OT that is available and move on then a safety/CB and then a center. After that....pick just about anyone. I expect that at least one of those positions will be addressed in FA and very likely a RB.

9. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

Need to draft an OL in the first. Prefer center or left tackle.

10. madjack

madjack Rookie

Chris white played well today....no reason o raft a Center....plus we have Mckinney who is injured....We do however need a lt.....our oline could become a strong point next season...we should have spencer, mckinney, and white back.....that right there will help....I do say we need to draft a guy who can be our LT in case spencer isnt good enough....sense we cant make the playoffs we need to try out all of our young guys IMO.....try out stuttard more....get walker more carries.....we need to evaluate them before the offseason to see what we need...plus we get Chris Taylor back....injuries killed us this year....lets just hope our staff plays our young guys to get a good look

11. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Well we are gonna need to find SOMEONE in FA. We need to much help on the Oline to leave it all up to drafting.

Seems that every year when FA rolls around, some unexpected players find themself testing the market... maybe we will have a good olineman unexpectedly become available.

12. adam

adam Guero

In my opinion, we need to spend our first round pick on an o-lineman of some nature (a LG would be may preference). In my opinion, we should move Pitts back to LT (our line as a whole had it's best season with him at LT) and draft a LG. I think McKinney should be good to come back next season, which should set us at center. I haven't heard anything on Weary, but if he can't return back to his previous form, I have confidence that Studdard will develop fine. In my opinion, Eric Winston is the lone bright spot on our o-line at moment, so we should be fine at RT. That should give us, at the very least, an o-line with a lot of potential. Which is at least better than what we have right now.

That leaves us the 3rd round, where I definitely draft something for the secondary. It's uncertain whether or not Dunta will ever be back to 100%, and thus we need something back there. We're just fortunate that Bennett turned out to be such a solid player.

As for RB, I think we should make a try for Julius Jones. He's proven that he is the real deal wouldn't be a huge risk for us. Given Dayne's improvement, I would say keep him and let him go in as relief. If we can't get Jones, then I would settle for LaMont Jordan.

We have a lot of off season work to do. A LOT.

13. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

14. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

exactly we have to find 2 or 3 starters in FA... personally id def go rb there with somebody like turner or julius, and then find some people for the secondary, olb and o-line also

15. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

here, bar gross and flozell (who wont make it to FA imo), i see nobody to get excited about

16. adam

adam Guero

I wouldn't mind having Flozell Adams at LT.

Starks, if only because of his size, seems like an interesting option to explore.

17. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

btw theres some nice olb's and db's

18. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Would love to get Trufant or even Florence. Both would easily top Faggins and would compete with Bennet and Drob (depending on health). I would imagine even in best case scenario, Drob wont be at his best for some of next year (with the posibility of him missing all of it still there) so we must plan accordingly, unlike the Spencer fiasco. However, unlike last year, we will have the cap room to improve our roster substantially.

19. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Does anyone know what DE's are going to be hitting the market?

20. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame