OL - color me concerned

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by eriadoc, Aug 25, 2012.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I never thought Butler was an adequate replacement for Winston, and nothing he's done has swayed that opinion. For all the times I complained about Winston getting eaten by a speed rusher, I knew he was better than Butler. And Antoine Caldwell has disappointed from the beginning. It took me a while to recognize, but he's never going to develop into a solid starting OL.

I think Schaub can make them look decent in the passing game, because he generally gets the ball out pretty quick these days, but the cut back lanes for Foster are going to be iffy.

2. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Our run game will suffer this year.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I said this last year, but Tate actually does better in a few select situations, because he tends to keep the run playside, whereas Foster is always looking to cut it back. This is one of those situations. Tate will just follow the blocking and hit the hole hard.

Before anyone has reading comprehension issues, I am NOT saying Tate is better than Foster or should start.

4. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I said that the O-line concerned me after the first preseason game and I feel worse about it now. That right side better get their $hit together quick.

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Veteran

The 2nd team O Line looked like dog **** out there, TJ got eaten up.

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Right. Which means the backups that are playing as starters have no real backups. Linemen never get hurt though, right? /crosses fingers

7. JimBaker488

JimBaker488 Veteran

Tate may be a better runner - more explosive, quicker, better long-speed. He's
    just not the pass receiver that Foster is.

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The 2nd team Oline was a "virtual Oline".........invisible to the D. But beyond that. Yates seemed to cease to demonstrate any awareness to his surroundings when things broke down.

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Oh, I don't think he's a better runner. Foster's lateral acceleration is just out of this world sick. Pair that with his incredible vision and shifty way of shedding tackles, and you have the best back in the league. Unfortunately, I think he'd be better off with a man blocking scheme with this caliber of OL. When the ZBS is working, lots of average RBs can do well, and guys like Foster can be All-World. But when Caldwell, Butler, Wade Smith, Derek Newton, and whoever else is missing their assignments and the line as a whole is not passing off to each other and working well as a unit, the cut back lanes are screwed.

I'd just like to see Foster stay playside more often, I think - which he did on the TD run.

10. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

I've said this on multiple occasions, I like TJ, but he's hit his ceiling. He isn't the future of this organization, not even close.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think Butler just got demoted .... and Newton stole his spot.

Butler looked horrible all night , even when going against the second teamers.

Gardner got abused by the second teamers too , Yates was under pressure almost every play.

Brandon Brooks didnt have a penalty tonight ..... :kitten:

12. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

Would'nt mind seeing an O-lineman picked in the first or second round next year.

13. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

This +1

Butler has been a big let down to me and Newton will start. Gardner is not any good at all.

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I can't wait until this line gels.

I mean, it's hard to complain when they put up 240 yards and 24 points in a half.

15. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

We should all hope Newton wins the job. He's dirt cheap and tied up for a few years. If Butler wins the spot, we have to worry about paying him again.

16. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Here's how I see it playing out. I think Butler wins the starting RT position but Newton is hot on his heals. I think Newton gets some playing time throughout the season and may even take the spot from Butler mid-season sometime. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Butler is gone at the end of this season and that Newton starts next year and that we draft an OT to be his backup in the 3rd or 4th round next year. If Butler wins the spot this year, it does not mean that we have to pay him again next year. He's a text book salary cap cut at the end of the season.

I really had high hopes for Butler this year and thought he'd be great at RT because he was finally getting his chance to start after being in the NFL for so long and due to it being a contract year for him, he's auditioning for every team in the league this year. I'm very disappointed in Butler at this point.

17. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Yep. Last night sure brought this out for all to see the need.

18. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

Let's wait and see until after 2 or 3 regular season games before we write off the right side.

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Newton actually started tonight, and the announcers indicated at the beginning of the game that Kubiak had said Newton was currently leading the contest at RT. It appears that Butler did nothing in this game to change the coaches minds about that.

20. nytexan

nytexan Veteran

To be fair the Saints were blitzing in the 2nd half and Yates didn't do a very good job of recognizing the packages and the RB's made some HORRIBLE decisions also. Sacks are not necessarily the fault of the OL solely.

I'm more concerned with the run defense than the run offense.