Okoye NFL Defensive Rookie of the month

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan_Bill, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Just heard 610 announce that he received the honors, but don't have a link just yet.... (thread title should have read NFL Rookie Defensive Player of the Month).

If already posted, mods delete or merge please.

2. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

That's awesome... I thought willis would get it just becasue of the high tackles. Hopefully, Amobi will continue to impress.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Can someone confirm what I think I just heard on 610 radio? Demeco Ryans named player of month.

4. Texan_Bill

Let's not get too excited just yet... It wouldn't be the first time Rich Lord mis-spoke. I am still searching for a link.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Should be good for Okoye's confidence and may boost Mario.

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

7. real

real Guest

Keep up the good work Mobi !!

8. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

He deserves it. Dunta and Okoye have been impressive every game.

9. Texan_Bill

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

That's awesome!

He has started off so well it's really been surprising, he's blown me out of the water. 4 sacks and 1 FF, heck yea!

Okoye may very well end up breaking our single season sack record, and thats as a rookie DT!

I'm still thinking Willis wins it when we're all said and done but sure hope Okoye keeps this up... what a stud.

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Texans DL is already looking nice and they are extremely young as well.

Amobiwan just turned 20 this summer.

Supermario is 22.

Travis Johnson is 25.

The core of this DL is gonna be here for awhile and that is downright scary.

12. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

The nice thing about Okoye's play is how he is exceeding expectations.

Early in camp there were reports that they worried about him against the run. And between what I've seen and what the coaches say, they've been pleasantly surprised with his run stopping.

The middle of the line is pretty good against the run, and it will be interesting to see if teams go more around the edges, like Atlanta was doing.

It seemed to me that a lot of times when they ran, they ran at the side that Mario was not at.

Before the season, Okoye's goal was to become Defensive Rookie of the Year. This is a hard thing to do for a defensive tackle because generally it is not a place that is easy to get attention grabbing stats. Since they've been doing DROY, only a small percentage have been DTs.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

That's great news !
    AO has turned out to be a very good-looking choice to this point and
    GM Smith & the coaching & scouting staff are to be commended for an
    excellent choice with this years first round pick.

14. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Way to go Amobi.....keep up the great work!

:texflag:

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm telling you guys, a couple of years from now when they are experienced and savy, this defensive line will be compared to "The Steel Curtain". :d:

Hopefully by then we'll have some safeties and corners who can actually play. LOL

16. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

17. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

I sure hope so. TJ has really impressed me at times this year. He has shown a lot of heart and seems to want to play now. Mario, on the other hand, seems to be content with trying to bullrush people...I just don't know if he has the fire. He seems to always be on his feet at the end of plays but is that necessarily a good thing? He doesn't seem to want to stick his nose in it sometimes. Weaver is an average DE which is all he has ever been. He isn't a liability but he isn't much of a playmaker either.

I think TJ and Okoye could really be a nice DT tandem but am not sure about Mario and Weaver as our starting DE. Kalu when healthy is a better alternative than either guy at the moment. I think it may be time to start giving some of our DE youth a shot at some playing time too. Maybe it will light a fire under MW and AW to start getting to the QB or ride pine.

I think Mario could become a really good DE but he has got to start earning his keep soon. He is just beat in too many one on one matchups even with TEs blocking him.

Props to Okoye for playing with a motor and with heart. He deserves NFL DROM for sure. 4 sacks in 4 games extrapolates into a 16 sack season. That would be a bonafide legitimate trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. He is going to be a monster.....Mario? me thinks not so much...

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

FWIW, Gary Kubiak emphatically disagrees with you, re: Mario. You can catch the podcast on sportsradio610.com for this past Monday's Kubiak Show. He said Mario is well on his way to having one heck of a year. When Kubiak is not happy with a player, he doesn't necessarily throw them under the bus in public, but he says things that let you know he's not happy with him (ex: recent comments regarding Mathis). He left little doubt in his comments re: Mario that he thinks Mario is doing his job. Do with that what you will.

19. real

real Guest

Kubiak said Mario has played better recently than he ever has as a Texan. Said he's really impressed with him.

I'd have to agree with Kubiak.

BUT, he still isn't all that great a pass rusher...

In that area alone I'd give him a B-

Overall, with how he's playing, I'd give him an A

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Whatever Mario it is that Mario is bringing to the table, well I guess I feel we just need more of it. He isn't a liability or anything. He just may not be the best guy on the roster at the moment. It seems when Cochran gets a shot, he finds a way to get past the OL and put some semblance of a pass rush on. I am not hating, just going by what I have seen and I watch MW quite often as its important that he develops into what we thought he would be when we drafted him.