Okoye and our scheme

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Jackie Chiles, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I was reading over John McClain's chat and something I came across has made me curious.

"It's the same system and he played well early last season. I've had a couple of pro scouts tell me he's more suited to a defense that relies on quickness and not a read-and-react scheme. They told me he's better suited for Tampa Bay and Indy."

Compare this with what Mario said in another Chron piece when asked about his play against Jamal Lewis and coming out in the 2nd half.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6130543.html

"Williams said when the third quarter began, he told defensive line coach Jethro Franklin that rather than read and go he wanted to go and read. And that’s what he did to get to Lewis.

Richard Smith’s react-and-react defense was much more aggressive against the Browns than at any point this season. Smith called for blitzes from every angle, which helped the Texans force five turnovers, compared to nine in the first 10 games."

I've recorded every game so far this year but I have not really gone back and re-watched them because, frankly, they have been ugly. What I want to know is those of you that watch that keep a keen eye on the defensive line in particular, would you agree that this is pretty much how we have been playing on the line? Without much evidence this makes sense to me. My theory is that we have guys on the D-line that have some good quickness to them that are being asked to tie up blockers more than to be disruptive. Off the snap we are not trying to get penetration, our guys lock up with an offensive linemen and get pushed back as they try to locate the ball.

I am not naive enough to know that if we change styles and go much more aggressive with a lot less reads that it won't open up some things for the offense but it really seems like we are trying to fit square pieces into round holes. I mean we give up enough big plays in the running game as it is, I would love to see the D-line get some legitimate penetration and make some plays on the other side of the line.

Anyway, like I said, what do those of you that keep a closer eye on the line think?

2. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Okoye is the classic 3 technique. Sapp,randle made that a premier spot. When healthy, harris in chi-town is the best. Okoye is a 1 gap player. He's too small in height and bulk to hit, stand a guy up, disengage , and go get the ball. The guys who are normally those types are 6'5 330 lbs. Okoye would be a beast if he could 1 gap. I think Johnson would be better if he could do the same. Mario could do either, but he would benefit more when he can just get on a edge.

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

In short, they should do the opposite of what Richard Smith tells them. :smiliedance:

4. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I have to say that this article is one of the sort that raises more questions than it answered.

5. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

they could of read this board and started being more aggressive about 2 years ago.

6. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Like why draft guys that high and not let them play to their strengths .

7. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Because I can coach'm up....

I am still wondering what would have happened had we drafted Willis instead, would he even be on the field by now? :brickwall:

8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Every since I read that quote by Mario I have been trying to figure out WTF is up with this. Like TC said this sure raises some questions. Why draft quick twitch penetrating DT's if this is the style of D you are going to run? This makes me want RS out of here even more.

9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

This also brings up the questoin, is TJ really that bad or has he been coached wrong? He was another quick penetrating DT/DE when we drafted him. THat was his strength. This really makes no sense.

10. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Dick Smith sucks. I think now it should all make sense.

11. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

The worst part of this entire scheme is that we don't have the correct personnel to run it. Everyone that says, "why draft quick DT and have them play 2 gap" is correct. That doesn't make sense. Worse still is the fact that in this type of a scheme a defense needs fast, active, sure-tackling LBs. Which means a premium should have been spent on LBs not DTs. Until the addition of Diles and now Adibi to the lineup, the Texans only LB that fit the description of being fast, active, and sure-tackling was Ryans. If this was the type of defense that they intended to run then they should have drafted Willis instead of Okoye.

In light of all of this I think Kubiak should be given an ultimatum during the offseason. Overhaul the defensive coaching staff, in other words hire coaches for the defense that can run a scheme to the strengths of the defensive personnel, or we will hire a head coach that will. Richard Smith is an anchor around Gary Kubiak's neck right now, and if Kubiak is going to let Smith take him down with him then it is his own fault.

HJam72 likes this.
  12. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    All I really want to see is Mario become the D-Line coach. He's the only one in the entire stadium (for the Texans anyway) who gets it so let him reveal his secrets to Okoye, Okam, Johnson, Bulman.

The Art of Ninja Bodyslam....

13. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Along with art of throw your blocker on the QB. :)

14. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Makes perfect sense to why we are giving up 4.5 yards per rushing attempt.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Or why pay so much in FA for a guy like Weaver who did well as a 3-4 DE
    but not as a 4-3 DE ?
    Kubiak and later Smith in his participation of the Okaye pick have failed badly in their judgement for DLine players.
    And I was really not that impressed with the Texans DLine effort Sunday. They got no sacks and there was a couple drives where the Browns seemed to run at will on the Texans before they self-destructed. As a matter of fact, that was really the story of the Browns offense IMO - their own mistakes more than the Texans D is what made for their downfall.

16. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Seeing Pat Willis chase down WRs down from behind makes me sad:gun:

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Didn't any of the pressure cause them to make mistakes?

18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Weaver was picked when Casserly was still around remember.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Weaver actually had himself a very solid ball game Sunday. :backsout:

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I knew Weavers sweet backpedal would pay off one day.

Texan_Bill likes this.