Oklahoma's Franks not impressed with Tebow

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=896409

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

bulletin board material :tearup:

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I can understand why Franks would be more concerned over McCoy or Harrell. But, I think the Sooner d-linemen and linebackers would be more concerned by Tebow.

4. Maximus 135

Maximus 135 Rookie

Very understandable

5. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

I for one am less than impressed with Tebow.
    It seems a lot of his loft numbers come from other people getting him to the goal line and then him calling his own number and running it in. If anything his Heisman last year should have gone to his O line for pushing the pile and allowing him to walk it in.

6. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

Well, since most of you have a Big 12 bias, I'm going to bring in my SEC bias. Oklahoma has a vanilla soft defense. For anyone to be talking trash from their defense is stupid, especially when you're directing it toward Tim Tebow. Look, there are better overall QBs in the country than Tebow. There's no denying that. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a guy on any football field at any level who wants to win as much as Tebow. You can see in his eyes and in his actions. His teammates would probably jump on a grenade for the guy. Plus, Franks has better things to worry about like keeping up with Murphy and Harvin.

I think the Big 12 has been exposed some this bowl season. Ok St got trounced by Oregon. The Ole Miss Rebels, from my home state, blew the Red Raiders up. Texas eeked out a win against a bad Ohio State team. And yes, they were bad for Ohio State standards. I know Pryor is a true frosh and all, but man, talk about overrated talent coming out of high school! And after the Mighty Gators finish running their four quarter track meet on Oklahoma, the top four teams in the Big 12 will have a combined bowl record of 1-3.

And yeah, I know before you even get to it - What about Bama? Plain and simple, they laid an egg. They didn't have the best lineman in the country playing in that game because he's stupid, his backup got hurt in the 1st quarter, and JPW is garbage. Plus, Utah is a good football team. Bama took em for chumps and it showed.

Back to Franks. He should shut the hell up and enjoy the ass whooping that the SEC's finest is about to lay down on his rootie-pooh, candy-ass! If ya smmmmeeeeeellllllllalalalalalalaaaaaa what Superman is cookin!

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I wonder what Franks says now?

I honestly didn't really have an objective eye for Tebow after the announcers kept on with their man-crush on Tebow.

8. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I would imagine he's happy to be proven correct.

Tebow Passing: 18/30 231 yards 2 TD 2 INT
    Tebow Rushing: 22 for 109

Tebow is what Franks said he was.

9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

He can't pick up a zone blitz, that's for sure.

If QB's were judged for pro potential based on heart and leadership then Tebow would be the #1 guy.

He can make some of the throws required, but let's face it....as of right now, Tebow can't make all the throws required of a NFL QB. And he isn't going to learn by playing in Florida's offense another year.

If he wants to go back and finish his college legacy then he should. But as a pro, he would be better served entering the draft, taking two or three years of coaching, and then we see if he has what it takes.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I think Franks was just being honest. If I were playing in the secondary I would be more concerned and gameplan for Bradford, McCoy and Harrell a lot more than Tebow. DL and LB's probably will have a tougher time with Tebow but not the secondary.

What happend when Tebow locked onto his WR? INT from the safety, Harris. I was unimpressed with Tebow's passing game and how it translates to the NFL. As a college QB and pure football player, Tebow is 2nd to none. The guy has more heart and passion than any other player. I don't see him as a great pro prospect, but he's in college and can dominate a game RIGHT now.

Again though, Franks is 100% correct. Tebow scares defenses with his ability to run... not throw. Vince Young was the same way. Secondaries are more worried about QB's that can throw than QB's that can't throw. plain and simple.

11. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

He was pretty much right.. Florids's offense got rolling when Tebow began running the ball. Early on in the game when Meyer tried to showcase Tebow as a passer, he was garbage.

He goes through his progessions too slow & though he might have the arm strength to zip it to the target, he rarely throws the ball with conviction unless it's a short slant. Anything beyond that, & he has to take a bit off b/c he loses his accuracy otherwise...& that's if he's not under pressure.

He's the white version of VY.

12. Polo

Polo Guest

Franks was wrong...

Not sure why guys are trying to spin it otherwise....

13. Ole Miss Texan

How so? As a cornerback what QB would you least be worried about? Sam Bradford, Graham Harrell, Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow? No spin involved, spinning would be saying that Tebow is a bigger passing threat than the other QBs.

Against OU:
    Colt was 28/35 for 277 yards 1 TD and 0 INT
    Harell was 33/55 for 361 yards 3 TDs and 1 INT
    Tebow was 18/30 for 231 yards 2 TDs and 2 INTs

This season Florida was 11-0 when Tebow had 26 ATTEMPTS per game or less. He only had 30+ attempts in 2 games and was 1-1 (going into the BCS game). Percy Harvin (WR) is their big play threat and we even saw it last night, he was most dangerous getting the ball at the line of scrimmage and making a play. 122 rushing yards (1 TD) and only 49 receiving yards. He's got more rushing TD's than receiving TD's this season.

Can't compare Bradford's stats against OU's defense for obvious reasons but he had 10 games of 30+ attempts, most of those in the 40's. The guy won the heisman for a reason, his passing ability.

I'm not trying to knock down Tebow at all because he's one of my favorite College players. I think Frank's wasn't too smart making some of his comments to the public/reporter but hey... it's not like he was making stuff up.

14. Polo

Polo Guest

I'd be most worried about the guy who gives the opposition best chance of winning the game.

Pretty selfish of him if he just didn't want to have too many catches made on him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
    Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  15. Polo

Polo Guest

Doesn't matter whether I'm a DB, LB, DLineman, Coach, Front office member, Fan, band member, OU Alumni, Ex player, Roy Williams, or water boy...

I'm more worried about the guy that's going to do what he needs to do to win the game....period...

He was wrong because he underestimated Tebo as a total package. He thought that because he wasn't as elite a passer as Harrell, McCoy, or Bradford that it would be easier on the defense because they'd be able to just focus on the run...

Last time I checked he was wrong. He was wrong on all accounts. Florida had two 100yrd rushers and Tebo made some nice throws when he needed to make them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
  16. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    What are the chances Tebow enters as a RB?

We do need that bruiser....

17. Ole Miss Texan

You do have some great points. Franks said how Tebow is easier to game plan against because he's not going to throw the ball 40-50 times. He wants to run, florida wants to run so it does "in a sense" make it easier to focus on and gameplan against than a better comination of run/pass.

With that said, OU didn't game plan well enough... or even if they did, they didn't execute as well as they should have to win. I like what you said about being worried about the guy who gives them the best chance of winning b/c Tebow does exemplify that. Tebow is a guy that will get his ST and Defense pumped up... Bradford, Harrell and McCoy less so.

I still think it may be harder to prepare for the other QB's but Florida is just hard to stop. OU failed to to stop him, just like most teams.

Here's the recipe to beat Florida. Stop him from running and force him to pass the ball. Bob Stoops must not have watched some games this season. :)
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=282710057

18. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Florida's defense won that game, not Tebow. If I told you before the game that Florida would only score 24 points, and Tebow would throw 2 picks, 99% of people would assume Oklahoma won.

19. Polo

Polo Guest

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Haven't seen one person say Tebo won the game. He was a big factor and a key piece though.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Tebow is their Mr. Everything.

But Percy Harvin was the offensive player of the game against OU.