Ok Cowboy fans I need some help

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hervoyel, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm talking to a guy I know at work and the Cowboys come up and he's talking about how he used to hate the Cowboys (Aikman era) because they always seemed to be able to beat his guys when they played and how you just knew they were going to come back even when you had them down.

I then told him about the Cowboys in the 70's and how infuriating they were to play against. Very difficult opponent who also never seemed to be out of it no matter how well you played. As I was telling him about this (He's like early 20's) I mentioned how demoralizing it was to watch them all come up to the line, set, and then reset before running the play and how their offense looked so damned "automatic" with Landry standing there looking totally unreadable and their linemen doing that robot shift thing.... and he had no idea what I was talking about.

I know you guys know what I'm talking about but do any of you know where there's any old footage of the Cowboys line doing that? I'm trying to explain it and how cool it used to look but I want to show him what I'm talking about. A quick look at Youtube didn't turn anything up.

Anyone know where a clip showing that is online?

2. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Well I'm laughing because I still look at the talent of the 70s team..which was my childhood team and think they were one of the most talented in history. So to think of someone who doesn't know of that part of the history..that is funny.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and it was unreal to see guys start to bend down, get up like the changing of the guard and simultaneously move and get back down. I didn't find any video but I did find another article

http://ezinearticles.com/?That-Strange-Up-And-Down-Thing-The-Cowboys-Once-Did&id=798594

3. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Trying so hard to be polite here.......oh well, I'll say it.........WHO CARES? It's the freakin' cowboys.

:jk:

sort of

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember telling my dad I hoped one day one of them would hurt a back muscle doing that unnecessary maneuver (I was a kid, what can I say).

I'll see if I can find a gif online or something later on. :)

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

6. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Here's another one but it's about the same deal as Wolf's. I still watched all of it. This is MNF '79 Browns/Cowboys, Gifford, Dandy Don, Howard. Check out the Cowboy uniforms, those were my favorite Cowboys uni's of all. Not only did they look the best but the Cowboys felt they were cursed when they wore them..lol.

If you can't see the whole vid, watch the Sipe to Newsome TD at the very end, sweet.

ROBERT NEWHOUSE IN THE HOUUUSE. :jam:

Gifford, Dandy Don, Howard. *sniff* Toalk amoungst yourselves. :cry2:

7. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Also watch the game between Coach Herman Boone / Coach Bill Yoast's Alexandria Va. team versus Coach Ed Henry for the state championship. Ed Henry's team does the "robot shift"....

:specnatz:

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Not what you were looking for but damn that was a team and QB--Staubach

10. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I saw Roger play alot and he was the toughest QB I've ever seen. I use to go to the games where Tom would have Roger in and then put in Craig Morton..that's how far back I go.

Roger still looks like he could play! Greatness there.

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Apparently you never watched Dan Pastorini. That was the toughest SOB QB from that era that I can remember.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Didn't watch him enough to compare. I did watch Staubach go back into a game with his throwing hand pinkie bent 90 degrees at the 1st knuckle. Watch Staubach lower his head and shoulders and finish his runs. Landry used to chew his butt about that--some of those rare occasions you saw Landry animated.

13. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Never saw Pastorini other than a blurb on the sports highlights. I didn't watch the Oilers. I'll go with Roger but to me most QB's are really tough guys. It's just the nature of the beast.

14. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Roger's hand is still all funky from his playing days.

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I have a Dan Pastorini jersey (childhood hero) but if I'm putting together a football team I'm going to go with Staubach over Pastorini every single time that question comes up. I'm sorry but that's just a no-brainer right there.

16. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

First man to wear the flak jacket and for good reason. They once did an x-ray on his knee and found two ribs. :specnatz:

Brando and drewmar74 like this.
  17. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Nevrmind, I thought that was it. I now wanna see it... Robot looking formation, that sounds cool.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

C'mon Froggy, get real !
    The Cowboys '90s SB teams would kill the '70s team. Actually most '90s
    NFL team would kill the '70s team.

19. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I remember seeing some corny movie Dan made once...it was horrible. Let's just say he was no actor.

I only saw the Oilers once and Warren was the QB.

On Roger/Dan question...one is a HOF and the other isn't. It is a no-brainer but I wouldn't question his toughness even if I had watched him based on what's being said here.

20. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Killer Fish, and no he wasn't an actor, he was a QB.:cool:

My favorite QB as a kid.