Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Oiler Games

Vinny

shiny happy fan
The naming our 3 fav players thread made me want to post these...

Oilers break losing streak at 18. Happy days are here again!

Fred Willis was one of my favorite players back then but then again I had a bunch of favorites from those years. He scores the winning TD on a screen pass...a Fred Willis specialty.

http://youtu.be/uztNOGq1Lig

I actually downloaded a bunch of the 1980 Oilers games a few weeks ago, but I haven't gotten around to putting them up on TTalkTube. Thought it might be interesting to watch some of them.

I actually downloaded a bunch of the 1980 Oilers games a few weeks ago, but I haven't gotten around to putting them up on TTalkTube. Thought it might be interesting to watch some of them.

nice, these are extended highlights...that would be great.

would love to see some mate. Would love to clue myself up on Pre-Texans Houston football in a primer sort of way..

Tony Zendejus' shoulders weren't bigger than his name...his name on the back of his jersey was hanging down his left arm. I think I hear Crazy George beating his drum in the background in some parts. Dean Steinkuhler may have been the best lineman on the team...with both Mike Munchak and Bruce Matthews. That Oiler team was loaded offensively. Two HOF linemen, Dean Steinkuhler (would have been another HOF player if not for his knees), Heisman Trophy winning rb Mike Rozier, & HOF QB Warren Moon.

I've got a DVD from Ebay of the Oilers / Cowboys 1979 Thanksgiving game. Earl ran for 195 yards, 2 TDs, and the Oilers won 30-24.

I think I gave Herv a copy many years ago. I need to find it and make you a copy, too, Vinny and Hookem.

I've got a DVD from Ebay of the Oilers / Cowboys 1979 Thanksgiving game. Earl ran for 195 yards, 2 TDs, and the Oilers won 30-24.

I think I gave Herv a copy many years ago. I need to find it and make you a copy, too, Vinny and Hookem.

Do you know how to rip a copy of it and upload it to a share? I could put it up on the Tube if you can do that.

The naming our 3 fav players thread made me want to post these...

Oilers break losing streak at 18. Happy days are here again!

Fred Willis was one of my favorite players back then but then again I had a bunch of favorites from those years. He scores the winning TD on a screen pass...a Fred Willis specialty.

http://youtu.be/uztNOGq1Lig

Wow, that is before my time. Of course, I was born already long ago but was still in Japan. Did not know John Matuszak was an Oiler.

Wow, that is before my time. Of course, I was born already long ago but was still in Japan. Did not know John Matuszak was an Oiler.
oh yeah, his trade to KC brought us Nose Tackle Curley Culp. If I remember correctly we made the trade at mid-season and we were either winless or had one win. I think Sid Gillman was the HC and Bum was the DC at the time. We finished the season .500 or so. Curley Culp put Bum's defense over the top and Bum Phillips took over for Sid the next year.

oh yeah, his trade to KC brought us Nose Tackle Curley Culp. If I remember correctly we made the trade at mid-season and we were either winless or had one win. I think Sid Gillman was the HC and Bum was the DC at the time. We finished the season .500 or so. Curley Culp put Bum's defense over the top and Bum Phillips took over for Sid the next year.

Thanks for info Vinny. That's how we ending up getting Culp! He is one of my Fav player on D side along with Dr Doom.

Awesome DB and so crazy that you mentioned that because that is my all time favorite Oilers game. That's the one I was looking for when I found the Seattle OT game. I looked all over Youtube and it's not there.

Thanks for info Vinny. That's how we ending up getting Culp! He is one of my Fav player on D side along with Dr Doom.

anytime...I was about 11 or so back then....I've followed the Oilers from earlier when they were back to back 1-13 teams. I remember always wanting the Oiler letterman jacket out of the Sears catalogue. You would see guys around school with the Cowboys jacket but not many Oiler ones. It didn't help that they were really awful colors (not to mention the team was awful at that time)...back then those jackets were this weird Lions-esque blue with Silver/grey arms and the silver helmet on the chest. They got rid of the silver and the NFL started marketing sportsgear around then.

Some old pics of the different helmets from the different eras...

Ed Biles and can anyone name the TE next to him? We traded him and got the rights to a pretty good rb in his day...
0.jpg

Fred Willis
Oilers73_display_image_display_image.jpg

Kenny Burrough
170707808_26574b52ed_z.jpg

USFL3.jpg

zoilthumbnail.jpg

anytime...I was about 11 or so back then....I've followed the Oilers from earlier when they were back to back 1-13 teams. I remember always wanting the Oiler letterman jacket out of the Sears catalogue. You would see guys around school with the Cowboys jacket but not many Oiler ones. It didn't help that they were really awful colors (not to mention the team was awful at that time)...back then those jackets were this weird Lions-esque blue with Silver/grey arms and the silver helmet on the chest. They got rid of the silver and the NFL started marketing sportsgear around then.

Some old pics of the different helmets from the different eras...

Ed Biles and can anyone name the TE next to him? We traded him and got the rights to a pretty good rb in his day...
0.jpg

Fred Willis
Oilers73_display_image_display_image.jpg

Kenny Burrough
170707808_26574b52ed_z.jpg

USFL3.jpg

zoilthumbnail.jpg
Mike Barber

Do you know how to rip a copy of it and upload it to a share? I could put it up on the Tube if you can do that.

I don't know how. But, I will find that DVD in my collection and contact you to learn how to do it.

Awesome DB and so crazy that you mentioned that because that is my all time favorite Oilers game. That's the one I was looking for when I found the Seattle OT game. I looked all over Youtube and it's not there.

Cool, man! Hopefully you will get to see it soon.

It even has all the commercials, which are funny to see 30+ years later.

I remember always wanting the Oiler letterman jacket out of the Sears catalogue. You would see guys around school with the Cowboys jacket but not many Oiler ones. It didn't help that they were really awful colors (not to mention the team was awful at that time)...back then those jackets were this weird Lions-esque blue with Silver/grey arms and the silver helmet on the chest. They got rid of the silver and the NFL started marketing sportsgear around then.

I had that jacket. It was Oilers blue with silver plastic (I assume that was plastic) sleeves and the round patch that looked like this ..

140.jpg

I wore that out and I remember my mom buying me the same jacket from Sears but a Bucs orange one. I rooted for the Bucs as a kid also because they had the same colors as La Porte HS. I think by that time Bud had fired Bum and I was really turned off of the Oilers.

Another interesting Matuszak tidbit I remember is the following found on wiki as I read this thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Matuszak

Football career

Matuszak, drafted by the Houston Oilers of the NFL, was the first draft pick of 1973. In addition to his contract with the Oilers, he joined the Houston Texans of the World Football League, but played a total of seven plays before a restraining order that was served to him during a game that barred him from playing for two teams at the same time. Matuszak said he had no plans to play in that game but requested to play after seeing 25 or so men looking for him on the sidelines. He didn't know what was happening at the time and wanted to avoid confrontation. The Oilers, displeased that he tried joining the WFL, traded him to the Kansas City Chiefs, where he played until 1975. Then he found himself with the Raiders in 1976 after being released in pre-season by the Washington Redskins. He helped the Raiders win two Super Bowls (XI and XV) before retiring following spending the entire 1982 season on injured reserve.

His football career was often overshadowed by his even more famous (or infamous) partying and seemingly endless use of drugs. In his autobiography, he stated that he took many painkillers as well as other narcotics while playing professional football. Because of this, an article written for Sports Illustrated's website in January 2005 named him one of the top five all-time "bad boys" of the NFL.[1] Although his performances made him one of the best Raider defenders of all time, his volatile actions contributed to him not being popular with teammates (Matt Millen told reporters on several occasions how he disliked Matuszak and found him to be phony) and not being one of Al Davis's favorite post-retirement players, and after an ugly incident where Matuszak violently assaulted assistant coach Terry Robiskie due to Matuszak hearing a false rumor that the team was going to trade away star tight end Todd Christensen, he was banned from ever setting foot in the Raiders' HQ again.

When I was ten I got to get his autograph as the rest of my little league team did. I could not believe how big he was (I was ten, he was juiced). He was very gracious to all of us.

0.jpg
The Oilers traded 4 picks and TE Jimmie Giles to the Bucs for Campbell. With the Oilers 1st round pick, Tampa Bay took Grambling QB Doug Williams. Williams and Giles were a very good combo, with Giles becoming a 4 time Pro Bowler. But, they weren't Earl.

Oh, and that's Joe Bugel - the Oilers o-line coach.

I had that jacket. It was Oilers blue with silver plastic (I assume that was plastic) sleeves and the round patch that looked like this ..

140.jpg

I wore that out and I remember my mom buying me the same jacket from Sears but a Bucs orange one. I rooted for the Bucs as a kid also because they had the same colors as La Porte HS. I think by that time Bud had fired Bum and I was really turned off of the Oilers.
I bet you were the only guy in the 50 states to own and early era Oiler jacket and a Buc creamsicle jacket back to back. :)

The coach in the pic is Joe Bugel and thats Mike Barber. The TE we traded to get Earl was Jimmie Giles.

man, I'm calling Joe Bugel, Ed Biles and butchered the Jimmie Giles trade. I think my brain is shrinking as I age. I'm not even going to discuss bladder size.

Another interesting Matuszak tidbit I remember is the following found on wiki as I read this thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Matuszak

When I was ten I got to get his autograph as the rest of my little league team did. I could not believe how big he was (I was ten, he was juiced). He was very gracious to all of us.

Interesting info thanks. Back in those days, many of players were juiced IMO. Somehow, you notice more of the Ex Raider players were juiced. Maybe bad boy image helped notice a little more.

The coach in the pic is Joe Bugel and thats Mike Barber. The TE we traded to get Earl was Jimmie Giles.

Yeah, I know about Barber and Earl part but others can't recall as I was just started to learn English and didn't know the rule or anything about football. But somehow, I fond football the most exciting sports and hooked ever since. Thanks for info about Bugel and Giles. I remember Tyler Rose when he was still at UT and all the hype(rightfully so) he was getting from media.

I bet you were the only guy in the 50 states to own and early era Oiler jacket and a Buc creamsicle jacket back to back. :)

Probably true. I remember kids in school making fun of my creamsicle jacket.

It's funny though that you brought up Sears. Back then that was the best place to get NFL merchandise. It was the only place to get out of market teams merchandise.

Living in La Porte my mom used to always bring me home Oilers stuff. However she had to use the Sears catalog to buy me Bucs garb. I still remember her showing up with a Doug Williams 12 jersey (those old 70's jerseys that had the team name on front) and a Bucs watch with an orange band. I remember some kid in Deer Park picking a fight with me because of my "gay" orange watch ..lol.

BTW, my most prized NFL items back then were those 1979 series Damac posters. I had one of the Oilers and the Bucs. Those were the coolest posters. The Oilers one had Pastorini handing off to Earl with an oil working working on a rig in the background.

I just recently found someone here that had the Bucs one. I bought it from him and am going to frame it for my sports room.

Here is the Bucs one. I cannot find the Oilers one I had on Google.

Ren%20(12).jpg

Here's an Oilers one but this is not the one I had. I think each year they released a different one.

Ren%20(34).jpg

Here are many more teams http://www.illustratednfl.talktalk.net/Damac.html

Probably true. I remember kids in school making fun of my creamsicle jacket.

It's funny though that you brought up Sears. Back then that was the best place to get NFL merchandise. It was the only place to get out of market teams merchandise.

Living in La Porte my mom used to always bring me home Oilers stuff. However she had to use the Sears catalog to buy me Bucs garb. I still remember her showing up with a Doug Williams 12 jersey (those old 70's jerseys that had the team name on front) and a Bucs watch with an orange band. I remember some kid in Deer Park picking a fight with me because of my "gay" orange watch ..lol.

BTW, my most prized NFL items back then were those 1979 series Damac posters. I had one of the Oilers and the Bucs. Those were the coolest posters. The Oilers one had Pastorini handing off to Earl with an oil working working on a rig in the background.

I just recently found someone here that had the Bucs one. I bought it from him and am going to frame it for my sports room.

Here is the Bucs one. I cannot find the Oilers one I had on Google.

Ren%20(12).jpg

Here's an Oilers one but this is not the one I had. I think each year they released a different one.

Ren%20(34).jpg

Here are many more teams http://www.illustratednfl.talktalk.net/Damac.html

I have this Oilers picture in a framed mirror :) I got it at a K-Mart in St. Thomas, Ont. in 1982. They only had 3 mirrors; the other 2 were the Cowboys & Steelers.

3 favorite Oilers is difficult, Moon, Matthews, Campbell. Haywood Jeffries a close 4th. But don't give me a few minutes to think.

140.jpg

I know that jacket well. Even at that age I remember thinking that it didn't really look very "Oilers" to me. The silver was kind of a gray and just like Vinny said the blue was off.

2623_145961290164_2566361_n.jpg

I love reminiscing but I'm also a little afraid. I'm afraid we'll get some "Oiler" on us and Sunday the Bills will smell Oiler in the water and go nuts on the Texans. Hopefully not though.

Last edited:
I'm uploading some oiler games to TTTube right now. They are public for now, so if you go to the channel you can see them if you want to. I'll post links and clean it all up tomorrow.

I know that jacket well. Even at that age I remember thinking that it didn't really look very "Oilers" to me. The silver was kind of a gray and just like Vinny said the blue was off.

2623_145961290164_2566361_n.jpg

I love reminiscing but I'm also a little afraid. I'm afraid we'll get some "Oiler" on us and Sunday the Bills will smell Oiler in the water and go nuts on the Texans. Hopefully not though.
Yeah, that there is some Yankee blue or something. Reeks of old world Lion blue and silver a bit.

I hope this isn't some bizarro world foreshadowing. At least we aren't in Buffalo facing the next Bruce Smith. How big a lead is big enough? That's always a tough question for old Oiler fans.

I'm uploading some oiler games to TTTube right now. They are public for now, so if you go to the channel you can see them if you want to. I'll post links and clean it all up tomorrow.
you're the awesome.

Is that you? That jacket is a little older than the one I had. I remember some kids with that one. Mine was exactly the same but it had the white helmet on the patch which obviously came out later.

I still have this late 80's Starter jacket ...

0.jpg

I have been meaning to put it on Ebay. I think that is the last of any Oilers clothing I have. I had a Warren Moon authentic jersey from the early 90's but gave that away years ago to Yvette on the Titans board.

Is that you? That jacket is a little older than the one I had. I remember some kids with that one. Mine was exactly the same but it had the white helmet on the patch which obviously came out later.

I still have this late 80's Starter jacket ...

0.jpg

I have been meaning to put it on Ebay. I think that is the last of any Oilers clothing I have. I had a Warren Moon authentic jersey from the early 90's but gave that away years ago to Yvette on the Titans board.

Yeah, that's me. Loved that jacket and hated when it got too small for me.

I've got this one in a frame stored in my warehouse. Since I gave Hervoyel all my Oilers stuff, I have been meaning to ask him if he wanted this print. I'm not sure of it's condition, but being in a frame behind glass all these years could have preserved it well.

Love this picture. I thought it might be from the Thanksgiving game but seeing #8 back there and the red facemasks tells me this was probably a preseason game in the early 80s.

ten_possible_new_names_for_jim_cranes_houston_astros.jpg

Love this picture. I thought it might be from the Thanksgiving game but seeing #8 back there and the red facemasks tells me this was probably a preseason game in the early 80s.

ten_possible_new_names_for_jim_cranes_houston_astros.jpg

All I know is that whenever I look at that picture, I can't help but think that a 'Gurls defensive guy is about to get KNOCKED the (bleep) OUT!

But #8? Was that Archie Manning????

When I see your picture(Hookem Horns) of Oilers uni. I remember Bum was complaining about uni color. Sometime they get right color of Columbian Blue and sometime they get a little bit darker than original team color blue. Now, this picture seems to me a bit darker than an original team color.

Looks like Oliver Luck to me.

That's Archie...Luck was #10.

Had to be preseason...

Since Manning was traded in the regular season in 82 and only played in Houston for 82-83 this game had to be the 83 pre season game in Dallas.

They played the Cowboys in the regular season in 82, but that was in the Dome and the picture is a game in Dallas....errr...Irving....

Back