Oher forgoes final season for NFL Draft

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by STEEL BLUE TEXANS, Jan 14, 2008.

1. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Potential LT for us?

3. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

Good for him. He should be somebody the Texans would consider.

if you havent read the book Blind Side, you need too. It talks about what all Oher has been through. One of my favorite books.

4. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Sweet. Maybe, just maybe :drool:

5. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

Otah or Oher is sure to fall to us. No trade back, let's finally get that franchise LT.

6. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I think we are definitely going to take a LT in the first round now. Oher could be our pick too because of his size and athleticism.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This year is the year to finally get a LT for the future. Cut Ron Dayne we do'nt need him to screw up another young LT's leg-knee etc.

8. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Wow this is really a HUGE surprise. There goes Houston Nutt's first season as the Ole Miss head coach. An already shaky OL and you lose the best LT in the SEC...there's a bunch of young talent there so he should build them up into a contender within a few years.

The deadline is today for declaring for the NFL Draft so there should be a 'trustworthy' site that lists all of them...

This is huge for us. He's extremely athletic and will easily be able to play LT or G for us...he would give Kubiak and Gibbs some options. He's a franchise LT and we need him at 18.

It depends on the teams in front of us. If the draft based on his potential he'll be gone top 10. He's not as polished as you'd like so he could slip to us. This is very good for the Texans.

9. Ole Miss Texan

So where does he go? With teams like St. Louis, Oakland, Atlanta, Kansas City, Arizona, Baltimore, Detroit...and on and on... does he even really have a shot of falling all the way to us?

I'm starting to think this could be a pipe dream and in the next few months he keeps climbing up the ladder and when it's all said and done- it'd be like hoping Adrian Peterson fell to our spot.

10. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

On the official boards, Texian posted this link, which has been very reliable so far, and seems to be kept up to date:
    http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/earlyentries.htm

I'm surprised - there's about 1 1/2 rounds worth of Juniors declaring early. Maybe this is usual, but for some reason I thought it was usually "just a few" juniors coming out early.

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I'm assuming AZ is going long term with Leinart and Brown at at RT there. Leinart is a lefty. Detroit traded fora T...my money is on WR again for Millen.

Baltimore went after a T in the Supplemental draft and got a steal for a 4th.

KC.....has so many holes pick one to fill excpet LJ.Also didn't they sign McIntosh away from Miami and he got injured?

Isn't Pace coming back for St. Louis?

Atl might go LT. I think more likely they'll need to go for a QB this year though.

Oakland might as well but istill think AL is traumantized from taking a LT early too.

Either way there will be legit LT talent in the first for us at our slot i beleive. I know for sure as the draft nears and people start evaulating the talent they have on their respective lines we'll get a better idea of what teams will be looking for. Looks like a deep draft as well unlike last year and we could once again see some major talen slip. That other second hurts .

12. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Well if Oher isn't available, then the tackle who he jumped over will be. We are going to get a franchise LT if we want one.

13. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I think we all need to keep in mind the history of Alex Gibbs.

Do not be surprised if we go another direction then LT in the first round.

14. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

It's normally in the 30's, but this year it looks like it's easily in the 40's depending on who else declared. It seems like more and more players are content getting early to mid round grades and would rather get to the NFL sooner.

15. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

That's true, but Alex Gibbs is going to be here for 1 or 2 years. I'm sure he will have an input in the decision, but the team has to think about long term success.

16. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

But Kubiak is not, and we all know that Kubiak wants a running game similar to the one he had at Denver.

I'm not saying that it is impossible that we draft an LT in the first, I just think that a tap of the brakes might be in order.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Cut our leading rusher who had his biggest year? Nah, he will be here but may not make team. Do Oher and Otah fit the ZBS?

18. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

In the past, I've been a proponent of Otah, but I have to say I don't think he fits into the ZBS (though I think he'd be fine in the offense the Texans have run, which has not been a ZBS). He's very big, and I think fairly slow (though I think he is supposed to have good footwork).

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

this is going to be a tough one for me to evaluate having never watched ole'miss & Oher play. the Senior bowl has been my favorite outlet of info to catch up on players I may have missed during the season but thats only for the Seniors. the bowl game invitations can be ammended I suppose but this year more than any other the combine will be critical to catch a glimpse of a player like Oher. from everything thats been written & said he interests me very much & I'm sure the Texans take a hard look :)

20. Ole Miss Texan

Some project Oher to play Guard at the next level, but I think he'll make a great Left Tackle. While he's a really big guy at 325lbs he doesn't look fat at all, he's a solid guy. He's quick and has good feet and think he would be a good fit in the ZBS. I am interested to see how his arm length measures out and how he does in the 3-cone drill.