Oh Oh.. Now even Reggie is getting questioned

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Dime, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...DubYF?slug=jc-notes110206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

WHAT'S WRONG WITH REGGIE?
    After Baltimore shut down New Orleans Saints rookie running back Reggie Bush on Sunday, limiting him to nine touches for a total of 21 yards, the simmering talk around the NFL became a full-blown discussion: Is Bush all that good?

Right now, the people who thought that the way he played at USC wouldn't translate to the NFL appear to be right. Still, there are a few people who think that Bush just hasn't learned how to take advantage of his raw skills.

"Right now, I see a weaker version of Dave Meggett," one scout said. "Good speed, a guy you have to account for, but he doesn't run very hard. The worst thing is that I don't see the guy attack the field very much right now. He looks tentative, like he's not sure where all the defensive guys are."

To another personnel man, that's part of the growing process.

"A lot of young guys are tentative, particularly in the passing game, because they're not used to the speed and all the bodies that come flying at them. Bush has plenty of talent, that's not the problem. The problem is that this is total culture shock in terms of what he went from to what he's seeing.

"First, he was way better than everybody else. Second, he was surrounded by a bunch of other guys who were way better than everybody else. The last thing is that the style of game they play in the Pac-10 is different. It's a passing league right now and the defensive talent in that conference is just average. It's not like the SEC, where you have a lot of great defensive players, fast linebackers, fast safeties.

"Bush is going to be fine. It's just going to take a little time."

The bottom line: Bush's season not only pales in comparison to several other rookies in the league, but he doesn't rank among the top two rookie running backs. For now, fellow first-round picks Laurence Maroney of New England and Joseph Addai of Indianapolis get the nod as the top rookie backs.

Maroney has rushed 94 times for 395 yards and caught nine passes for 110 yards. He also has been impressive as a kickoff returner. Addai, who slowly appears to be taking over as the top back in Indy after his performance at Denver, has rushed 87 times for 447 yards and one touchdown. He also has 19 receptions for 144 yards.

By contrast, Bush has been nearly a non-factor as a running back with 70 carries for 212 yards. He has been a consistent threat as a receiver with 42 catches for 290 yards. But the overall impact among the three has been about the same.

Maroney, who splits time with Corey Dillon, has 505 total yards from scrimmage. Addai, who splits time with Dominic Rhodes, has 591 yards from scrimmage. Bush, who splits time with Deuce McAlister, has 502 yards.

While people can argue the ins and outs of all three players and the teams they play for, the reality is that Bush was the No. 2 overall pick. Maroney was No. 21. Addai was No. 30.

The argument over who is the best of the three shouldn't be close.

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I love it.

If Mario gets a couple more sacks will ESPN25 change to ESPN90?

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

No. They invested their entire reputation in this kid when they guaranteed he would be a Hall of Famer.

4. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

lol. You don't think ESPN has those tapes hanging over a fire already? They're ready to burn 'em baby!!:bananasplit:

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Through the first seven games of the New Orleans Saints' season, Bush is the league's 47th-ranked rusher with 212 yards in 70 carries and no touchdowns. Above him on the list are rookies Joseph Addai of Indianapolis, Laurence Maroney of New England, Wali Lundy of Houston, Leon Washington of the New York Jets, Jerious Norwood of the Atlanta Falcons and, most notably, former UCLA standout Maurice Jones-Drew of Jacksonville.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...umn?coll=la-headlines-sports&track=crosspromo
    Here's another story along the same lines as the one found in the lead of this
    thread, but from Bush's hometown LA Times.
    And please take note: one of the players they list ahead of Bush in rushing yards for NFL rookie backs is a certain 6th round pick from a certain team that is the only member of the AFC South that is located west of the Miss R.
    As if we needed any more redemption for passing on that overrated hype machine, we certainly don't anymore !

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I think bush will be ok.. one hand they can say Bush had talent around him a usc.. well couldn't you actually question the talent comparing N.O. to talent level of Indy/N.E?

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'm not a Bush basher in any sense. Hope the kid succeeds like the rest of them.

But, I do find it rather humorous that all the so-called 'experts' had him taking the NFL by storm before the draft. I actually read articles that said Bush and Young would "redefine" how the NFL would be played, and team owners would be discussing the implementation of new rules to deal with these two players' impact on the pro game.

Go figure, they're human like everyone else. The NFL = The Great Equalizer

8. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I knew he wouldnt be the "god" everyone portrayed him out to be!

9. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i'm stunned.

10. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

I didn't see this one coming.

11. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

It is Yahoo, the anti-Reggie network. LOL. They were the ones investigating his family the whole time, not ESPN.

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Yea lets keep it in perspective.

This is Yahoo Sports.

If ESPN comes out & questions Reggie's holiness then we can declare a major victory for common sense.

13. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I think they did that on NFL Live.

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

No the only guys that do NFL for ESPN & dont carry Reggie's jock for him are Golic & Schlereth (curiously both of them actually played in the NFL).

Golic said something about Bush being overrated on NFL Live & then Trey Wingo pretty much called him an i d i o t (curiously Trey Wingo has never played football in his life).

15. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Bush has plenty of talent around him, they have a powerback in Deuce, a great veteren WR in horn, a previous probowl player in Brees, he is the reason why the Saints have done as well as they have and one of the best rookie receivers in Colston. Their offense can run with any offense in this league.

I think the problem is that you can't run around people in this league. As a running back you have to have the ability to run through people and break tackles.....Bush does not have the ability to run through people and break tackles. He tries to make people miss, in this league people don't miss.........

He does make a great slot receiver though (and special teamer)..........#2 pick on a slot receiver, great investment, especially when you already have a elite running back, classic example of a team falling for the hype

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Reggie is a bad running back, but a good WR. Maybe even above average. I don't wish bad on the kid, but the hype is finally calming down. Mario is picking up steam, as well as a sixth rounder Lundy.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That's not fair...... Lundy has only played in 4 games. He wasn't even active for three games this season.

How can you compare his numbers to Reggies??

18. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I listened to the Dan Patrick Show last week and Sean Salisbury said he would take Morency's future over Bush's. I think this is the same Sean Salisbury that salivated all over Reggie Bush. One of the so called ESPN "experts" would berated the Texans to no end after we passed on him.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

At least we know the so-called media "experts" have absolutely no influence on our front office's decisions. Ticket sales and marketing be damned, Kubiak and McNair are trying to build a winning football team.

20. NYSportsfreak

NYSportsfreak Rookie

Salisbury just goes with the flow. He jumps on the bandwaggon of the popular player or team. A trained monkey can do his job.