Oh man! Okam!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

So Okam may get down to 325 lbs. 325, 330 - whatever it takes.

3. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

Apparently dude said he mishandled his creatine intake heading into the combine which caused him to balloon to near 350. Apparently he's been busting his ass to get in better shape.

The good thing about Frank is that he has a naturally big frame. He will always have a wide body, no matter if he's playing at or below 330. I'd like to see him drill at both weights (330 vs 350) and see how different he looks coming out of his stance.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

creatine binds water and big men can hold 10 pounds + of excess water when fully loaded with creatine....I know I used to hold a ton of water when I was loaded properly back when I was a heavy lifter.

5. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Yeah, I'm sure the guy who's "too smart to play NFL football" didn't know how to read the label on his creatine. The guy was fat and out of shape - it happens to all of us, pro athletes or not. LOL

This guy's gonna be the steal of the draft, I tell ya. Travis Johnson better get his injury issues worked out, or he's gonna be watching from the bench.

6. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I was really stoked with the Okam pick. He is a player we needed. A big wall to soak up blockers and allow Demeco to make plays. I dont care what weight he plays at as long as he is comfortable with his weight and in good shape.

7. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

Whadup Chris?

Yeah - I think he let his weight get away from him. I know I have to hit the gym hard after a season of Texans football... especially when the beers start pouring at noon on Sunday. Of course I usually end up at the neighbors at 3 to root for who ever the Cowpokes are playing. It makes for a looong day... but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Man I miss football season.

DiehardChris and Vinny like this.
  8. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Yeah, man. The darkest days are behind us now! We've turned the corner on June, and it won't be long before TC starts.... or something. Still, too far away for my taste.

The apparent re-dedication* of Frank Okam is one of those stories that can keep me from bashing my head into the wall. He's saying all the right things, and he sounds like a very humble kid in the way that he's talking about how he's not able to do the things he got away with at UT. He sounds as smart as advertised, and looks like he has a great work ethic.

*I really have no idea if Okam was ever really going to skip a football career for law school... to me, that sounds like a media-created 'story'.

Vinny likes this.
  9. False Start

False Start On # 69

I really hope he turns out to be a steal . He wears # 79 , and thats not a bad number for a lineman ...............

[​IMG]

10. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

Naw... not the media. They'd never do that. LoL.

No, but for real, I think you're right on target with that one.

11. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I'm all for being athletic and all, but we need size. I hope he's not asked to drop any more weight.

12. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

He may. They already said that they want more athletic guys. Jethroe Franklin said they dont want space eaters. If he can play at 330 and quick, then game on.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

[​IMG]

Don't look like much of a run stopper anymore...

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Being 6'5" kind of hides the weight. I've never really considered him to be a traditional "run-stopper". Hopefully he can help in both the run and pass rather than just being the fatty clogging in the middle. :)

15. adam

adam Guero

That's good to hear. The weight loss just shows that he is working hard and is committed to giving it his all. I look forward to seeing him on the field. That said, one of the things I found interesting about him was his sheer size, someone that would eat up blocks and make things easier for the rest of the line. Only time will tell how his play is affected by his weight loss.

16. Polo

Polo Guest

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over 10-15 lbs...

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm not happy at all with him losing the weight. He "looked" like the run stopper we need, when we drafted him.

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

He's still a big guy... Albert Haynesworth plays at 6'6 and 320 and is a great run stopper.

Frank Okam dropping a few lbs, isn't going to make him weaker, he's still going to be just as strong, but he's also going to be quicker and he'll have much more stamina that will allow him to make plays late in football games. I see no problem with him getting in better shape, it'll only help his game.

19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I'm with you, CB. More stamina should translate into big plays in the fourth quarter.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

If at 6'5" and 330, Okam can not shed the block and tackle a smaller RB, I'll fall down giggling. He is still a lot of hombre. I am focusing on our 7th round picks. If Diles can start this year then Brink should start by 2010 or bring us a couple of first rounders. Way to go Smith! Greedy aren't I?