OG Brisiel rumored as a cut candidate,HOU interested?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by srrono, Feb 9, 2013.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=22292847&cid=28&source=feed&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

3. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Depends on his cost and health...i'd definetly give it a look. A vet who knows the system and performed well for us just a year or so ago? Pick up the phone.

4. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

If OAK cuts him with the off year maybe he doesnt get that big money offer so HOU could get him back here at a reasonable rate 1 or 2 year deal. Then again JAGs could grab him with them going to ZBS this year. I would like to see HOU cut G Wade Smith then bring back Brisiel and let Jones and Brooks compete to start at other G spot.

5. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

Pretty interesting to note that both Brisiel and Winston underperformed in their first years away from the Texans, after being a part of one of the best O-lines in the league.

Is our system that good, or was it unfamiliarity with their new teams?

6. powda

powda Hall of Fame

I wasn't sure what kind of year Winston had. I knew jamal charles had a pretty decent year and I assumed some part of that was due to winston.

7. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I think familiarity with the system and players/coaches around him had a lot to do with Brisiel's success here. I never viewed him as an all world Lineman while he was a Texan. His toughness was nice to have and he was great at combo blocks here, but he still lacked in some other areas. I wouldn't be against bringing him back and letting Wade walk though.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I guess some of you don't know his history (including his recent one). You might want to catch up with what's happened to him since he left us. Looks like he got the Texans' extra special Dominique Davis treatment.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

This is a very simple rule. If a FA is not specifically mentioned as a target of the Texans the discussion goes in the NFL forum. Please place things like this in the NFL forum.

10. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

It's the classic "bash the ex-Texan" silliness imo. I haven't seen too many complaints concerning Winston's play this past season & as you stated Charles was playing very well running behind him. I think some of that could easily be attributed to Winston. Briesel is a victim of circumstance imo. The Raiders are moving away from the ZBS because their future bust McFadden didn't flourish in it. I'm not saying Briesel had a great season but Reece was productive behind Briesel & in the ZBS in Oakland which seems to point to the fact that some RB's just aren't made for it. McFadden seems to be the issue here more then Briesel.

Its just easier for some to bash the ex-texan & assume that they failed as opposed to acknowledging the whole situation that they are dealing with.

11. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

My bad wont happen again

12. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Obviously, it depends on price and health, but our ROG position sucked rocks hard! If we can get him, we should.

13. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I would like to see the Texans bring back Brisiel if he's cut. The right side of the line was average to below average this year. Granted we played young and inexperienced guys, but Brisiel was part of one of the best if not the best line in the NFL 2 seasons ago.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

No. Brooks resolves RG in 2013. I think we draft another OG high 2014.

15. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I would absolutely love to bring him in for cheap and let him compete for either guard position. If he were able to take 1-2 million a year, it would be a no-brainer. There's no question he was overpaid by the Raiders, who were hoping to overhaul their protection schemes last year. He no longer fits, and they want to bail on him, so we might luck out. It all depends on how the rest of the league views him. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jags and Seahawks make a bid for him though, so I don't know how much he will be offered.

16. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Wouldn't mind seeing Brooks try out at LG, and bring Brisel to rotate with Jones at RG. Still need to draft another G high IMO tho.

17. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Have we ever had a former Texan player come back here to play?

18. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

There have been a few, they've just been kind of underwhelming. David Anderson comes to mind first. Troy Nolan is another.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is why I've reconsidered on Harvin, Doc said Harvin had an ankle injury similar to Briesel's. Only they shut Harvin down so he probably has much less extensive damage than Briesel at this point.

Personallyl I would stay away from both of them. But if yuor were against getting Harvin then you should definitely be against getting Briesel

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  20. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Briesel isn't going to get paid 10million a year.