Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Offseason priorities (besides the draft)

DerekLee1

Veteran
1. Sign Bob Sanders. Whatever it takes to sign this dude, DO IT. To hurt the Colts and improve our secondary in one fell swoop is worth the cost.

2. Re-sign Andre Davis. Way too valuable to this franchise to let him go for any reason.

3. Get everyone healthy and get them on a conditioning plan to KEEP them healthy.

4. Fire the strength and conditioning coach. 2 years in a row, we have had 17 players finish the season on IR.

5. Fire the Defensive Coordinator. Richard Smith was a last minute hire and its shown on the field. The guy just sucks and has no balls.

as for Bob Sanders, I want the Colts to lose him but he has too many injury questions to give him the fat money. If anything, we should get involved if only to drive up the price for him. Let's make the Colts pay their whole salary cap to Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday, Freeney and Sanders. That would be sweet. It will catch up to them eventually. I love Sanders' game but too many injuries. The price would have to be right and is he going to come to the Texans for anything other than a fat paycheck? highly doubtful.

4. Fire the strength and conditioning coach. 2 years in a row, we have had 17 players finish the season on IR.

I'm not qualified to speak on this but according to all of the talking heads around Houston we have one of the better strength and conditioning coached in the NFL.

I'm not qualified to speak on this but according to all of the talking heads around Houston we have one of the better strength and conditioning coached in the NFL.

I thought I had heard that too, but it sure doesn't look that way when you look at our team and how easily so many of them have been injured. Coincidence I guess but it sure seems fishy to me.

Injuries happen, a lot of is luck, some of it is technique, in short I don't think we can put the blame on the strength and conditioning guy.

Dan Riley is highly respected around the league.

However, with that said, the proof is in the pudding: Players on IR - 17 last year, 17 this year. 34 players in 2 years. Thats a lot of 'coincidence' or lots of bad luck. Either way, if something is broke, try and fix it.

Put a c-note under every seat so that our LA Laker-like fans will be in thier seats by kick-off!

Please no Julius Jones, no Fargas, and no Turner...draft soembody.

We can wait and hope and pray that there will be a stud RB in the draft or we can sign one. I was a big advocate of Adrian Peterson last year, but unfortunately he was gone by the time we were up. If Kubiak feels that Turner is worth it, I have no problem with offering him good money. In the end, we'd be giving up less than what we gave up for Schaub and compared to Schaub, he has alot more experience. San Diego wouldn't be paying him so much if he weren't worth it IMO, but they know that him being a UFA now, he can get more money elsewhere and they can't match it.

We can wait and hope and pray that there will be a stud RB in the draft or we can sign one. I was a big advocate of Adrian Peterson last year, but unfortunately he was gone by the time we were up. If Kubiak feels that Turner is worth it, I have no problem with offering him good money. In the end, we'd be giving up less than what we gave up for Schaub and compared to Schaub, he has alot more experience. San Diego wouldn't be paying him so much if he weren't worth it IMO, but they know that him being a UFA now, he can get more money elsewhere and they can't match it.

There are other positions that I would rather spend FA money on then RB; mainly because the fact that a rookie RB is more likely to play at an elevated level much quicker then an O or D linemen.

we will sign 1 big free agent this yr...whether it is a RB or SS or whomever
remember glen earl is coming back !!
so is my favorite RB Chris Taylor !!!

honestly, we need a LT & a OLB - greenwood look horrible against dallas clark - meaning we need an OLB with pure speed & power..
does lance briggs fit this description ?

There is only one LT/AD type RB this year, and that is McFadden.

However, I can name a handful of guys I would draft before considering signing Turner.

i agree...I hope the Texans use caution when going after TURNER....& yes, the chargers line help LT, look good. IMO there line is 1 of the best in the NFL.
wish i could say the same about ours.

We dont want to become the cardinals w/the Edge

There are other positions that I would rather spend FA money on then RB; mainly because the fact that a rookie RB is more likely to play at an elevated level much quicker then an O or D linemen.

That is true, I look at MJD and Adai last year as good examples and definitely Peterson this year. I just don't think they should rule out going after a FA RB if they think he's worth it.

Dan Riley is highly respected around the league.

However, with that said, the proof is in the pudding: Players on IR - 17 last year, 17 this year. 34 players in 2 years. Thats a lot of 'coincidence' or lots of bad luck. Either way, if something is broke, try and fix it.

This is just silly talk. If there was a strength and conditioning coach that could train players to avoid torn ligaments, broken legs, concussions, and so forth then he would be worth more than the head coach. Our injury problem is just poor luck and nothing else.

However, some players like Mr. Mittens have learned to avoid injury by rolling into the fetal position before the defensive player arrives at his location on the field.

I understand that but at the sametime it is one of the weak points of the team, if we only had a running game that was even considered versus having a running game that teams looked at and laughed.

If you do not want to spend the big contract on Turner then fine how about getting a FA runningback that is just a little lower on the money scale.

I am looking at a list that consist of ........

Name FA Type Ht Wt D.O.B. EXP Att Yards Avg

Michael Turner UFA 5' 10" 237 2/13/1982 4 Yr exp 60 274 4.60
Julius Jones RFA 5' 10" 211 8/14/1981 4 Yr exp 156 581 3.70
Derrick Ward UFA 5' 11" 228 8/30/1980 4 Yr exp 125 602 4.80
Marion Barber RFA 6' 0" 220 6/10/1983 3 Yr exp 198 981 5.00
Fred Taylor UFA 6' 1" 226 1/27/1976 10 Yr 223 1202 5.40
Jamal Lewis UFA 5' 11" 245 8/26/1979 8 Yr 272 1176 4.3
Justin Fargas UFA 6' 1" 220 1/25/1980 5 Yr 222 1009 4.50
Jesse Chatman UFA 5' 8" 223 9/22/1979 5 Yr 116 473 4.10

I thought Warrick Dunn was a UFA this year as well. He'd be a nice compliment to pair with Dayne's steamroller-style.

BUT I'd only be OK with that if we went after someone like Jonathan Stewart in the draft. How sick is it that New England may end up with McFadden? *shudder*

anyone know, what the cap hit will be if we cut Green in the offseason ??

There would be $3.75 mil in dead money which would have to be accounted for. His total cap hit for next year would be $5.05 mil if he stays next year so there is a net cap savings from cutting him but $3.75 is money which can't be spent (again).

#1. Figure out why we always are at the top of the list with players on IR. It is hard to get comfortable with one another when guys are coming in and out at the rate they do, plus its expensive to sign 17 new guys to your team.

#2. Keep Demps and find someone to pair him with. CC Brown and Earl are backups to me.

#3. Dont cut Green. We need to get our money's worth out of him, and 1 year just aint enough. Cut Darius Walker, and run with Green/Dayne/Taylor and pick up a RB in the 3rd round like Chris Johnson.

#4. Draft a Left Tackle with our #1 pick. This is a good year for LT's in my opinion, and I think we could get Sam Baker. With Spencer coming back we can potentially let Salaam go.

#5. TJ stays. We need him, and I think he is getting the short end of the stick on this deal. Yeah he could make better choices, but IMO when you are in the heat of the moment, your judgement can be swayed. We wouldnt get anything for him like aways when we trade players, and he would probably turn all pro once we let him go...

#6. Protect Shaub. He is our best chance at superbowl, not Rosenfels. Figure out why he was getting smacked so much, and fix that crap.

#7. Put a hit on Haynesworthless.

That is all for now...

My main concerns are :

RB
O-Line
D-Line
Corner Backs
Safety
Line Backers

Thats all .............

I also hope we get a good Offensive Coordinator to replace Sherman . Kyle Shanahan may be a good option IMO . I was looking a recent issue of ESPN magazine , and they had a small bit in there about some of the young up and coming coaches in the NFL and he was mentioned along with Brian Schottenheimer and the OC with the Pats . I've also heard his name mentioned on the radio a few times on national broadcast .

There are other areas on this team that need some attention , but those are the ones I think they should look at first .

I thought Warrick Dunn was a UFA this year as well. He'd be a nice compliment to pair with Dayne's steamroller-style.

BUT I'd only be OK with that if we went after someone like Jonathan Stewart in the draft. How sick is it that New England may end up with McFadden? *shudder*

My issues with Stewart is that he most likely will go mid to lower first and I do not want to use a first on a runnning back, other areas of need to be addressed first.

The only name on that list that I like even a little bit is Marion Barber, but it would take a colossal mistake on the Cowboys part to let him come to us in the off-season. All of the other guys on that list are way too old for my taste (Lewis, Taylor), are not much better than Ron Dayne (Chatman, Fargas, Ward, Jones) or are running behind a great offensive line (Turner). Turner is going to want too much money, Lewis too. I think Fargas could be a decent backup RB, but if he's the go to guy, I'd say forget it. I honestly think Fred Taylor would end up like Green over here, and I could never get myself excited about Chatman, Ward, or Jones to be perfectly honest.

This year, I'd say draft an RB because there's a pretty wide level of talent dropoff after Barber really.

Offseason priorities I think should be the offensive line and then the defensive backfield, with RB and OLB being neck and neck in terms of need and priority. I think if we improve our defense enough, and can get a solid running game that we will be a decent enough force to reckon with.

Jamal Lewis has finished the season strong. The strongest in a few years for him. I think he would be a good back for our running game.

Fargas has overachieved this season, and I do not see the Raider having the room to Keep him, also on a guess but I think the Raiders cut Lamont Jordan this off season.

Fred Taylor has looked good as 1 half of the Jags running game, and if they are willing to loose him, might be worth a look. Team him up with Dayne and Taylor.

1. Sign Bob Sanders. Whatever it takes to sign this dude, DO IT. To hurt the Colts and improve our secondary in one fell swoop is worth the cost.

2. Re-sign Andre Davis. Way too valuable to this franchise to let him go for any reason.

3. Get everyone healthy and get them on a conditioning plan to KEEP them healthy.

Your #1 isn't going to happen:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3171368

Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders has signed a five-year, $37.5 million contract extension that includes $20 million in guaranteed money.

The contract makes Sanders, 26, the highest-paid safety in the NFL.

Back