Official switch to the 3-4 thread

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Blake, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Blake

Blake MMQB

Now that we know who are D coach is, and that we will play a 3-4 defense we should compile a list of needs.

NT - A Nick Fairley, Stephen Paea, would go a long way.

DE - Smith, Mario, Mitchell, Okoye. Seems we are covered at DE.

3-4 OLB - Barwin, Cushing. Depends on if Cushing plays inside or out. Robert Quinn or Von Miller would be a nice addition.

3-4 ILB? - Ryans, Cushing. Depends on if Cushing plays inside or out. Greg Jones in the 2nd?

CB - Another CB cant hurt this group.

FS - Not happy at all with Wilson. Nolan still green.

SS - Pollard seems to be struggling in coverage. But is playing great against the run, and provides a good pass rush.

2. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Three things needed for a great 3-4:

1. A distruptive NT (doesn't have to be a monster, just needs to command double teams)

2. Pass rushing OLB

3. A FS/SS that can bltiz out of the secondary or come into the box to maximize the "Blitzer for nowhere" advantage of the 3-4.

I don't see the Texans having any of these yet. I think Cush goes inside, and Barwin is too big a question mark to count on.

Mark Anderson might be a good OLB though

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

translation -

1. A two gap penetrator who can clog the "A" gap.
    2. Move Pollard to blitzing OLB position
    3. Worst case, Kareem Jackson/Troy Nolan
    4. We have everything except that 3-4 NT
    5. Yes, upgrades please apply
    6. Anderson could be insurance for Barwin?

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

From Kubiak's comments the other day I think Pollard is done in Houston, I don't see him back. I've had high hopes Nolan will work out as a S but I think it would be naiive (historically consistent) for us to give him a spot. I think we need legitimate competition at both S spots. I hope a FA + draft pick here.

CB should be address in FA with a veteran.

LB is unkown because of injuries. I think we have some pieces for both the 3-4 and 4-3. We'll need depth at OLB because I think Demeco, Sharpton, Bentley and Diles provide a good ILB base. I don't like any of our current DEs moving to OLB on a full time basis except for Barwin. I think Mario, Smith, Anderson will get seriously exposed in coverage. I'm firmly against Mario moving.

This leaves the DL which has always been an achilles heal. Regardless of what we have, we will need to add a NT via FA and a guy from the Draft (any round to compete or groom). We could use a DE from the draft (starter competition or groom) depending on what the staff thinks of the DEs we got.

Free Agency
    CB
    S
    NT

Draft
    Safety
    OLB
    NT
    DE

I see our 1st round pick going to DE, NT, OLB (wildcard is WR).

5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

The Texans defense I was watching this year showed me that the DL was the best unit we had on that side of the ball. The best part of that is because we had big units at DE, they can still play a role in the 3-4 where little DE's like Freeney/Mathis couldn't.

6. powda

powda Hall of Fame

This projection is based off of current front 7 players on the roster. They will add some defensive line help via the draft and free agency.

The entire secondary needs to be overhauled /and or at least compete for a starting job instead of having it gift wrapped. Our seondary is miserable regardless of a 4-3 or a 3-4 front. That needs 2 be wade's priority day one.

-----------------
    Running downs:

rolb- Willaims
    irlb - Cushing
    illb - Ryans
    lolb - Barwin

rde - Okoye
    nt - Cody / Lewis
    lde - Smith

-----------------
    Clear passing downs:

rolb - Cushing
    irlb - Ryans
    illb - Sharpton
    olb - Barwin

rde - Willaims
    nt - smith
    lde - Mitchell

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

this advertised switch to 3-4 is really bumming me out, don't know why, but it seems like we are just throwing away the last five years, like the Texans did after the first four years :facepalm:

8. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

The new mock by Walterfootball has us picking Miller in the 1st. link http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_4.php

They have us taking a FS in the 2nd out of Maryland but I'd much rather have the FS from Oklahoma, Carter. Don't know anything about Tate from Maryland.

9. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Man after looking at a lot of the prospects and potential draft rankings, this class looks really effing deep at DL (Pass rushing OLB's included). Going by that, and not really seeing any safeties that really pop like Thomas or Berry did last year, I'd have to say that the first pick is going to be somebody that will help either on the DL itself or with quarterback pressure.

All bets are off if Peterson or the guy from Nebraska named Prince declares, but I'm really liking what I see out of a lot of the defensive players. I'm okay if we miss out on Fairley (It's going to happen) because there are plenty of players that look like they will be available who can fit a 3-4. Paea, Von Miller, Clayborn, Quin, Kerrigan, all could probably fit in with what Phillips likes to do.

I also think that having a good crop of QB's is going to help defensive talent fall, and I could totally see Locker going in the top 10 as well as possibly a late riser like Blaine Gabbert.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

Most of these players should be considered first round draft picks. Texans only get 1. Discuss.

******************DL*****************
    Nick Fairley, DE/DT, Auburn
    Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama
    Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California
    J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
    Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State
    Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami
    Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

******************OLB*****************
    Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
    Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue

******************WR*****************
    A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

******************CB*****************
    Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida
    Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

The last 5 years defensively need to be throw out my friend.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'm more stoked about a 3-4 run by wade phillips than a 4-3 that would be run by Richard Smith to be honest. I still don't know why him and Bush got to be coordinators, but at least with Wade you can say that he has experience on his side and has been there before.

13. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Since Dareus is a 3-4 DL in college anyways, he would be ideal, but he's going way before the Texans pick. Quinn and Bowers as well.

Pea or Miller seem to be the best that will still be there.

Most might not like it, but getting Blackmon on offense could be a real boon. Get 35 points every game and hope the d holds on.

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

I have always been against it, but this might be a year to trade a 1st next year, for a 1st this year.

Take Blackmon at 11, and get our pass rush linebacker or NT.

15. Blake

Blake MMQB

I did want to mention that after a little research, a Wade Phillips defense or team is just as likely to draft a WR, RB, QB, CB or OL as they are to draft a DL and rush LB. Even when transitioning a defense to the 3-4.

Just something to consider. We all assume NT or OLB in the first 2 rounds, but that might not be the case.

16. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Its the draft; anything is possible.

17. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

18. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to switch to FS. This to me would be a good pickup for a couple of years as you would upgrade the FS position and have a built in coach on D for our young corners while we are on the field. Just a thought.

19. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

IMO, when considering who we might draft or FA it is important to keep in mind that Wades 34 is a 1 gape style vs. the usual 2 gap. Players are a bit different for them.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I agree! The Philips mold of the 34 calls for lighter quicker penetrators on the DL.

Damn, that sounds familiar!