Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Colts, Sunday Sept 30, 2018!!

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
We incorportated a few different plays against the Colts that we hadn't ran in the previous 3 games. That's it. There was no fundamental change
in how the game had been coached man.

The fundamental "change" is the players executed better than they had in the previous games.
Maybe it was a combination.
The coaches started calling plays that exploited the players' strengths and what they do well.
So... they played better.

Texas Jake

Rookie
I was at the game Sunday. My son-in-law bought tickets for me, my wife, my daughter and himself to go. He has been wanting to go to an NFL game with me for a while (it was his first time to go to an NFL game). He is a Cowboys fan, but other than that he is a real good guy. My daughter did OK.

Man what a nail biter. I think I developed an ulcer. Indy has a nice stadium and most the fans where polite, but had two drunk females in front of us who were jerks. So glad we won, cause I didn't want to have to listen to them gloat if we lost.

Reactions: Max

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Maybe it was a combination.
The coaches started calling plays that exploited the players' strengths and what they do well.
So... they played better.
No doubt it was a combo, but like 90% better execution from the players and 10% offensive calls that aided. The TO ratio from game to game bears that out all on its own.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Vinatieri pulled his groin during the game and is now hobbled to the point that is unclear if he will be available Thursday against the Patriots.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Denzelle Good yesterday was originally reported as being out indefinitely for personal reasons. As it turns out, his brother was killed during a drive-by shooting in Gaffney, S.C. on Tuesday. Prayers to him and his family.

Scooter

Funky
I wonder if anyone here can capture the Colt's first 3rd down. It's the one that many are thinking of with Joseph playing a mile off. I'm quite hazy but I remember looking at 22 and thinking WTF are you doing. It looked like a simple cover 3. The linebacker had moved toward's 22's slot receiver, but instead of dropping with his guy and then peeling outside/flat as I would think he was supposed to, Colvin got turned around facing inside and towards our endzone. Joseph was supposed to be deep, 22 was supposed to be under, and linebacker was supposed to be inside.

Again, I'm going off of bad memory, but I'm almost certain that 22 busted the coverage - Joseph being deeper was fine if played correctly.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Denzelle Good yesterday was originally reported as being out indefinitely for personal reasons. As it turns out, his brother was killed during a drive-by shooting in Gaffney, S.C. on Tuesday. Prayers to him and his family.
Sad news,

Thx for keeping us updated.

Reactions: JB

austins23

Hall of Fame
I wonder if anyone here can capture the Colt's first 3rd down. It's the one that many are thinking of with Joseph playing a mile off. I'm quite hazy but I remember looking at 22 and thinking WTF are you doing. It looked like a simple cover 3. The linebacker had moved toward's 22's slot receiver, but instead of dropping with his guy and then peeling outside/flat as I would think he was supposed to, Colvin got turned around facing inside and towards our endzone. Joseph was supposed to be deep, 22 was supposed to be under, and linebacker was supposed to be inside.

Again, I'm going off of bad memory, but I'm almost certain that 22 busted the coverage - Joseph being deeper was fine if played correctly.
I just watched it. Colvin drops and appears to be drifting to his area/zone to the outside to provide underneath coverage on the outside WR. As the slot breaks inside, Colvin goes to cover him. Which he probably didn't need to do because Cunningham had that area/zone covered pretty well. WR sees Colvin jump inside, he gets to the 1st down marker and turns for the ball. JJo still in his backpedal.

Scooter

Funky
I just watched it. Colvin drops and appears to be drifting to his area/zone to the outside to provide underneath coverage on the outside WR. As the slot breaks inside, Colvin goes to cover him. Which he probably didn't need to do because Cunningham had that area/zone covered pretty well. WR sees Colvin jump inside, he gets to the 1st down marker and turns for the ball. JJo still in his backpedal.
Much appreciated. This is pretty much how I remembered it. Joseph is in his backpedal because his assignment is a deep 3rd (very passive playcall, and very passively taught), but the fail on this particular play isn't Joseph being old and playing too deep - it's a very familiar scenario, the people around him don't know their assignments and have no chemistry with Joseph. I'm not privy to Romeo's teaching, but at no point in a soft zone does your slot corner turn his back to the qb trying to locate an inside route.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Much appreciated. This is pretty much how I remembered it. Joseph is in his backpedal because his assignment is a deep 3rd (very passive playcall, and very passively taught), but the fail on this particular play isn't Joseph being old and playing too deep - it's a very familiar scenario, the people around him don't know their assignments and have no chemistry with Joseph. I'm not privy to Romeo's teaching, but at no point in a soft zone does your slot corner turn his back to the qb trying to locate an inside route.
And it looked to me like that pass would have been good for the 1st down anyway because it didn't look like Colvin had got far enough toward the sideline to make an impact on the pass attempt.

Scooter

Funky
And it looked to me like that pass would have been good for the 1st down anyway because it didn't look like Colvin had got far enough toward the sideline to make an impact on the pass attempt.
Possibly, and that's the risk of Romeo playing way too soft. However there was supposed to be someone underneath to make that sideline route more difficult instead of just Joseph backpedaling 15yds deep. I only wanted to illustrate that Joseph did his job and Colvin didn't. Where that went afterwards is a new discussion. I also wanted to point out that Joseph wasn't in man coverage and not 'I'm so old and slow that I need to start 10 yards away', because somehow there are a few that actually think that way.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible

First Colt's 3rd down....

upload_2018-10-4_21-31-22.png

upload_2018-10-4_21-33-2.png

upload_2018-10-4_21-35-35.png

Attachments