Official "Bring Dayne Back!" Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansLucky13, Sep 28, 2008.

1. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Slaton has turned out to be everything we wanted. The guy is quick, he is a decent pass blocker (considering his size) and has NFL caliber receiving skills. I can list his positives all day. I expect him to improve even more as the season goes on, as well.

That said, we need the Thunder to go with our Lightning. We need someone to soften up the defense and give Slaton that extra advantage. The Titans have LenWhale for CJ and the Jags have Taylor for MJD. Ahman could have possibly done this job, but he can't even get on the field. Who are we using now? Chris Taylor... someone who is injury prone and too small to be suitable for this role.

I say we give Ron "The Great Tenderizer" Dayne a call. He can get the short yardage carries and knock the wind out of the defense early. To my knowledge he hasn't signed with another team. With the loss of CC Brown we will have a roster spot open, and I for one think we should pick him up.

Discuss

2. sometexansfan

sometexansfan Blue Bomber

I agree completely. This man here knows football. We need somebody to soften up the defense so Slaton can run by them. Pure football genius right here. BRING BACK THE DAYNE TRAIN!!!

3. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Well, Dayne is large but that is about it. He doesn't run hard. To me he's kind of like a normal RB in a full back's body.

He doesn't move the pile. He doesn't pick up tough yards at the goal line. He dances too much in the backfield....

He's dependable but "The Great Tenderizer" he is not. I'm afraid that there just isn't a "thunder" to Slaton's "lightning" at present. We'll probably just spell SS with CT and the Klingon for the rest of the season.

Furthermore, IIRC from last year Dayne didn't do well unless he was the feature back. He was largely ineffective in spot duty. No way I'm swapping SS for the Dayne Train.

4. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

slaton and walker will be fine thanks

5. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Ron will take Rick's call as soon as he finishes his cheeseburger.

[​IMG]

Make that after he finishes his second cheeseburger.

[​IMG]

6. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Dayne back in, for a few carries. I don't want Slaton getting hurt in situations where a bigger back would be more suitable.

That said...I think anyone in the pro-get Dayne back group is going to get a hell load of crap from some people!

7. TexansLucky13

I don't disagree that he runs like an elephant ballerina sometimes, but he has beaten down the defense before. The one game I remember the most is the Colts game that he helped (a LOT) win for us.

I'm not saying that he will fix all our problems, I am simply saying that he can fill that role much better than Chris Taylor. If Ahman can get healthy, he could do it... but no one is sure if that will happen or not.

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Duane Brown's knees vote no.

Seriously, though Dayne was a productive back for us, not sure why he got the Turk, he has done better than anyone else for us the last few years.

But if you wan't him to pound the ball, do short yardage and wear down a defense your looking in the wrong place, he's a 280lb finesse runner.

9. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

or just sign him to play for the Colts game ;-)

10. TexansLucky13

You honestly think that Taylor does a better job...?

11. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Green should be rdy next week there is your thunder ............:spit:

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think Taylor has done about as well as I would expect Dayne to do and probably a lot cheaper than Dayne would come. I'd sure take Dayne over Aww-Man Green tho.

13. TexansLucky13

Taylor has looked extremely easy to tackle. From what I remember, it took a bit more effort to get Dayne down (except for when he tripped over himself, etc).

He isn't perfect, but he is as Porky once said "3 yards and a cloud of fat". I say we get him over Taylor considering Slaton's success.

14. sometexansfan

sometexansfan Blue Bomber

Taylor is not the answer for the Thunder and everyone knows that Green isn't. Dayne might not be spectacular, but he's dependable, stays healthy, and falls forward for positive yards. Dayne/Walker combo worked well last year, the Dayne/Slaton combo would be even better. BRING BACK THE DAYNE TRAIN!!!

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Dayne is not on a team for a reason.

16. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Thunder with lighting...I agree...

I hear Larry Johnson is quite upset with being on the Cheifs ;) although i know he wouldn't go to one losing team to another only to share carries lol.

17. TexansLucky13

So by that logic, we shouldn't pick up any free agent, ever? Give me a break. He is who he is, and that's better than what we have right now.

18. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Bye Bye Green, welcome back Mr. Choo Choo :)

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The logic being used is acutely pointed at Ron Dayne and the current market. If this is just a Thunder and Lightning discussion then sure he is a candidate. But I thought I was commenting in a thread about a hopeful acquistion that would give us a chance to win. That is not Dayne.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Bring in Davenport

He's the DOOKIE