Offensive Line Graded out with One Sack

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Capers just stated (on his radio show) that there was only one sack attributed to the offensive line. The other sacks were blown assignments of other players. I know 'the line' is everyone's big excuse for Carr's poor play but Capers will not critique Carr so he leaves the line a scapegoat most of the time for the fans to chew on. Riley graded out quite well when asked directly.

2. Ah yes because you KNOW he was talking about Carr. Whatever. And Capers always tells you the truth.

3. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

I'd add that 2 of the sacks seemed to be Carr's fault. May have been coverage sacks but he still seemed to have time to throw the ball away on them.

4. Vinny

Wells missed the block on the fumble, and DD mised one as well. Don't know about the rest of them. Frankly, I never mentioned that Carr was responsible for any of them. Don't know why you are so offended.

5. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

That towards me Vinny? I'm not offended at all. I was adding to the fact that the o-line wasn't responsible for all the sacks. I felt that Carr was at fault for 2. Maybe I wasn't clear. Sorry.

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

that is frustrating Vinny all these blown assignments and most of the guys are 2nd and 3rd year players.. Some are more.

Assignments will get blown, but how many are we blowing on a play?

7. Vinny

Didn't see your response before I posted. Just replying to ses.

8. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

Sorry-SES posted while I was posting. My bad.

9. "it wasn't only David, it was EVERYBODY" - Dom Capers

"David took a couple head shots (on our TD drive) and drove it down like a leader" - Dom Capers

"We havn't had a problem around here with that (penalities)" - Dom Capers

Not a problem with penalties, what games has he been watching?

10. Vinny

Just passing on what I hear on the Dom Capers show here in town.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

One of the 610am guys said he thought 4 of the 5 sacks were not the responsibility of the OL prior to Capers going on the show. Regardless of whether the sacks were the OL's fault, there isn't an argument that can be made that the OL played anything close to an average NFL OL yesterday. Plenty of blame to go around on this one--they played badly as did Carr.

12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I heard Marc V say that Norris got blown up by Kelsay on one of the sacks. I need to go back and watch the replay after my dinner settles a bit.

The OL stunk yesterday. So did Carr. So did the blocking backs. So did the receivers. So did Palmer for whatever the game plan was and lack of adjustment (new form of kryptonite discovered that takes away three step drops). So did Capers for his stubborn to a fault philosophical approach. The offense is broken due to many causes.

I'm really getting tired of all the candy *** callers they are letting into the Capers show right now. They must be screening tighter than usual....

13. Yes he did, he went right around Moran on the right side of the play, completely blew him up. That is not Carrs fault.

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I know Wells "oley" on a sack that led to a fumble

Where is an alonzo highsmith when you need him.. I remember him flipping people and laying people out before he got hurt

15. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

or more importantly, the OL's fault. as it's been said plenty of times since sunday, there is plenty of blame to go around (even if the OL got punked 70% of the time).

16. Vinny

T Spikes totally steamrolled him on a bull rush. Wells was not low enough and when upright trying to block a man of his caliber was a recipe for disaster.

17. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I noticed on a few places they seem to put an OLB on the left side of the D up around the LOS basically spying Carr the whole time. If he handed off, he would play the run of course. But if it was a fake he was all over Carr's roll out in about 2 seconds. It also took away a lot of the dump offs since he would be right in the lane and too close to DD for a touch pass. Maybe it was just those few plays that this happened but it seemed to take away a lot of the offense when it was done.

I guess essentially it's just a spy/short zone but seriously the way Palmer/Capers play this offense it takes away so much. Add in a couple of deep safeties in Cover 2 and suddenly our offense = zero.

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I agree with you on that.. good play by Spikes but it reminded me of "unneccesary roughness" when scott Bakula was telling that teammate to tell the guy a story or tell a joke, just get the guy off of me

19. HoustonHarley

HoustonHarley Rookie

"I am mostly to blame. My team was not prepared, motivated or inspired before or after halftime"- Not Dom Capers

20. Vinny

I'm going to watch the game again tomorrow and watch the lineplay. I will look for this as well. When you are sitting in a cover2 and you have a spy on the QB someone has to be open somewhere. If the defense sniffs out the rollout then the QB has to find the hot read.

bigtex77 likes this.