OD might skip training camp

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by m5kwatts, Feb 18, 2010.

1. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

He's still upset about his contract situation

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/18/owen-daniels-says-he-might-skip-training-camp/

2. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I'd be interested in hearing the entire interview to put that into context. The way it reads it's as if he's working under the idea that there's no chance a long-term contract is executed.

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Yeah I didn't hear the interview, he doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he needs to re-prove himself after a pretty significant injury....Rick Smith and the org. won't have much sympathy I'm guessing

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Would you consider the Texans wrong to offer OD less money than he did last year or with more contingencies in it? I think that is reasonable but it sure might be a sticking point with OD. Would not at all be surprised to see him get a highest RFA tag or out of respect even a franchise tag ($5.9 mil for TEs).

5. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

damn that suck!

6. D-Frank

D-Frank Veteran

good, more reps for casey

7. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I heard the entire interview, and it was more tongue in cheek, but you could tell by his tone in his voice that he will not be happy if he is not given a long term contract. He also said that Tony Hill don't take crap from no one. And that he can't really run any routes but he is a ferocious blocker.

8. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Great....another Texans player coming back from injury that doesn't think he needs the Training Camp reps to get himself ready. I hope the Texans get his situation under control faster than they did w/ Dunta, or we'll have the same crappy scenario all over again.

I've got no problem w/ the Texans franchising OD, he's definitely top-5 material (pre-injury).

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

No kidding. OD has more to prove this year than last year. Knee's arent anything to be ****ed with.

10. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Nice to see dunta's leadership at work, j/k

Texecutioner likes this.
  11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

And here we go again................:roast:

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't think he should do TC. He outperformed his contract, asked for a new deal that better reflected what he brought to the organization, and wanted to look out for what his main concern was (injury). Well, he was proven correct in his concerns, and he's also proven that he's one of the best TEs in the league. I'd tell the team that they can have TC when they fairly compensate. Then, when the season started, I'd play because I'm under contract, as crappy as it is.

Players get paid a pittance in TC. Coming off injury, it's definitely not worth it.

13. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

It's too early to tell if OD really means this. If we see him mention it a few more times in other interviews, I think there will be cause for concern. As it is now, he is trying to get a good contract for multiple years from the Texans, so this is just a bit of indirect negotiating.

14. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

If he's under contract in TC, and gets injured during a TC practice that extends into the regular season, is he not paid his existing contract $$?

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

:spit:

16. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

How many players go to thier front offices and request a pay cut when they under perform when compared to thier contract?

I love me some OD, but it's a bidness and it works both ways. I didn't see Dunta give McNair a rebate check this year for bieng a $2 million dollar player as opposed to a $9 million dollar CB. I believe that it is in the Texans best interested to give OD a new deal because he did out play his original contract, but he is coming off a major injury. Why do the Texans or any franchise "have" to tear up a guys contract when they outplay it? It's the option of the Front Office.

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I didn't say how I'd handle it if I were in the front office. I agree, it's a business for both sides. If I'm OD, I'm viewing it exactly like a business deal and doing everything I can to protect my interests. Sorry if that doesn't line up with the front office, but the FO is going to do everything they can to protect their interests, regardless if it lines up with the players.

Fans are the ones left in the lurch, but they have to realize that the FO doesn't care about the fans anymore than the players.

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Oh, they care about the fans...the paying ones, at least. :shades:

I think it'll get worked out, though. OD is too valuable to this offense, and replacing him is nowhere near as easy as many fans have suggested.

19. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

We only have 3 real playmaking receivers on the team in AJ, OD, and Slaton. I hope the FO knows we can't afford to lose OD. Same goes for AJ, god forbid we ever lose him.

Knee injuries are tricky. You never really know how well someone is going to come back from it. The good thing about keeping OD here is that we have backups who can help ease him in or take over if he doesn't play well.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

We will now draft two TEs.