Observations from 2nd viewing of Miami Game.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Oct 14, 2008.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

1. Despite Brown's rough game, the only real issue on the oline is Meyers and Briesel. Many plays blew up because Meyers was thrown back 5 yards into the play. Also, Briesel has a tendency to whiff blocks. The two tackles are playing excellent football. Even though Brown and even Winston do get beat occasionally, the rest of the time they are sealing the backside of the play or drive blocking on the playside of run plays.

2. Earl Cochran looked great. Especially on passing downs, they lined up Cochran at tackle next to Mario and he created a lot of havoc. He has a lot of energy on the field and seemed to win most one on one matchups.

3. Barrett mentioned this to me and I was looking for it: Slaton made an incredible block on the long pass to Walter on the winning drive. He first chipped Porter, then when he was clearly blocked, saw the DT from the opposite side of the line come free and he ran and dove into him barely keeping Schaub clean as he threw the pass... Slaton saved the game on that play- it was an amazing play both athletically and awareness.

4. Leach I thought was playing really poorly the first couple games. Man! He's playing great now. There was a 9 yard run by Green when Leach literally sealed off a Miami defender at each of the three levels to give Green the edge. What's most amazing about that play is how Green only got 9 yards.

5. Clearly on the 2nd interception it was a busted route combination. The pass literally arrived as AD and AJ were colliding into each other.

6. We aren't committing any penalties these days! Pretty amazing how clean we are with the exception of turnovers.

7. Demps and Harrison are clearly going to make a lot of plays from the safety position. The two of them combined for at least 6 big plays- though Harrison had some mistakes as well.

8. There was only one misdirection play the whole game. That was the bootleg when Schaub ran into Porter and dumped it towards AJ near the goaline on the first field goal drive. Not a single receiver reverse or another bootleg the entire game... Just seems strange considering we ran the stretch run the entire game. My guess is we'll have some success this Sunday against Detroit with those.

9. I'm probably the biggest Petey fan on these boards... However, he really looked pathetic on a couple tackle attempts. I'm hopeful that Bennett will retake that job. Bennett's best is certainly better than Petey's best.

10. Mario is simply awesome. Though it's funny that almost every single sack of his has come when he's been blocked by a TE or a RB. Amazing to me that that can happen- especially when we haven't played a Mike Martz or Steve Spurrier team yet.

We're a good football team!

2. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I also would like to add how impressed I was with Tim Bulman. He is probably our 2nd best pass rusher at the moment.

3. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm still hoping to see more of Thompson at the DE position on passing downs. Bulman certainly will get there eventually. Also, I think Robinson, Cochran, and Okoye have also done a good job of collapsing the pocket- Okoye and Cochran win their one on one battles on passing downs almost every play. The DL is really coming together. I think these guys will start collecting sacks now.

4. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

I would also add Green ran well in the Miami game. Damn funny thing that fickle finger of fate Slaton was supposed to be the second back coming it to spell Green no vice versa. He has still robbed us blind on the game checks but having him as the scheme finally takes hold is a nice security blanket. When healthy that is!

5. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Yeah, I remember one play where Faggins was chasing the ballcarrier and just gave him a two handed love tap before giving up. Two hand touch? Really?

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Bennett had better numbers than D-Rob last year. What IS wrong with Bennett this year? Sophomore slumps? You're not kidding his best is better than Faggins'.

7. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

His worst is better than Petey's best. I cant believe he staarted last week...

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

That's clearly not true. Perhaps it's just a funny quip. But, with all the hatrid that Petey has received on these boards the past few years I can't assume that. Petey was a solid CB for us every season but 2007. He's been playing pretty well this season too.

9. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I agree. There was one Miami drive in the fourth quarter where he was literally pressuring Pennington on every pass play. He and Mario did a great job of collapsing the pocket together, they seem to work well in tandem.

Hopefully we see them out there together more often.

Also - regarding Schaub's second interception - he said on the NFL replay that he failed to put AD in motion, which is why the play busted.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Great stuff Dale-M, appreciate the time & thought you invested into your elaboration of several key topics from Sundays game.

11. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I'm still amazed Sparano didn't challenge that "incomplete pass" by Schaub. I saw a coach on the sidelines go crazy, but Sparano was very calm.

12. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I'm still amazed that Sparano didn't go for any of the several 4th and shorts he had all day. He has one of the best RB tandems in the NFL and is playing against a team that hasn't stopped a 4th down all season long. He could have put the game out of reach at a number of points in the game, but he played entirely too conservative.

13. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

I was watching the NFL replay last night and I got a good laugh out of Kubiak's eyeroll after Wilson's interception/fumble at the end of the game. His expression was priceless.

14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

yep...addition by subtraction of weaver & johnson.

15. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

You may be forgetting about 2006 when lee eveans made a name for himself against petey .... Personally I like the guy he is really nice..but he has let us down as a secondary player. Teams look for him on the field and the Texans play hide the petey hoping he doesnt get thrown at.

16. Polo

Polo Guest

Petey isn't that bad...He's just not a starting cornerback....

He'd make an excellent Nickel or Dime back...

17. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

:texflag:

18. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b99e29
    :tiphat:

19. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

I believe that was the failed coverage over the top on both plays by C.C. Brown. He missed his assignment badly on both of those bombs. But Petey is definantly not nearly fast enough to run man on deep routes.

20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Good grief! Because he got beat twice by Lee Evans means he's not any good? Man, that is an old, silly argument that every ignorant Texan fan in the city uses because that's all he's got. Would you like me to list two plays he's made over the course of his career as proof that he's a great cb? I could do it.

Cowboy fans had a similar relationship with JReeves- who was a young nickel CB for them that got pressed into starting duty for them last season and played pretty well. Of course, the fans blamed him for every misstep in the secondary. Now he's gone and they're relying on AHenry and M.Jenkins... They're much worse as a result.