Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

One more Godsey-O'Brien tie: O'Brien was Georgia Tech's offensive coordinator when Godsey played QB there

Like Brian Ferentz, Godsey was on same @Patriots coaching staff under O'Brien when he was OC there (CONT)

As for offensive coordinator, keep an eye on @Patriots TE coach George Godsey (CONT)

Brian Ferentz, son of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, was @Patriots assistant from 2009 to 2011. Started as offensive assistant, left as TE coach

I'm hearing @HoustonTexans already have strong candidate for new o-line coach that may be done deal: Brian Ferentz from University of Iowa

That would give the Texans a very inexperienced offensive coaching staff (NFL).

Yep and this is worisome.

However If Ferentz is anywhere near as good as his dad is the OL should be in good hands.

New Englnds TE's were pretty good even without Hernandez. So there is hope.

matt-schaub-struggle.gif

Clay+Walker+Indianapolis+Colts+v+Houston+Texans+udQD0k_mTNkl.jpg

8788628_448x252.jpg

Toro.jpg

Gotta rep this.

Not exactly liking that we're going with the "Patriots Way" considering how much I hate Boston Sports, so let's hope whatever this guy does ends up replicating the winning and not their loathsome, insufferable doucheosity.

All I got from this is that you hate them because of their history of winning.

Ferentz is one of the top three OL coaches in college football so hard to hate on that one.

I don't think anyone is hating on any of the potential coaches. The only thing that was brought up is minimal NFL experience. It doesn't mean its good or bad.

All I got from this is that you hate them because of their history of winning.

I actually hate all Boston sports teams and have hated them for a long, long time now. I'm a Sabres fan, my bro is a Dolphins fan, and my other brother is a Yankees fan. Been brought up to hate Boston sports with a passion. Only root for the Celtics when they play the Lakers. Preceded all Patriots success. But nice try, *******. And it's funny how I said I hope they bring the winning and not the Boston doucheosity and you STILL tried to say I hate them because they're winners.

Can't wait for the Patriots to not be good anymore so you can be blown away when I---gasp---still hate them with a vehement passion. As evidenced by my unbridled hatred for the Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Flyers, Leafs, and plenty of others, it IS possible to hate teams for other reasons than success. Not all hatred is based on winning, contrary to what you and people like you believe for some reason. Not everything is Kanye West-ified. Not sure where that narrative came from.

I actually hate all Boston sports teams and have hated them for a long, long time now. I'm a Sabres fan, my bro is a Dolphins fan, and my other brother is a Yankees fan. Been brought up to hate Boston sports with a passion. Only root for the Celtics when they play the Lakers. Preceded all Patriots success. But nice try, *******. And it's funny how I said I hope they bring the winning and not the Boston doucheosity and you STILL tried to say I hate them because they're winners.

Can't wait for the Patriots to not be good anymore so you can be blown away when I---gasp---still hate them with a vehement passion. As evidenced by my unbridled hatred for the Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, Flyers, Leafs, and plenty of others, it IS possible to hate teams for other reasons than success. Not all hatred is based on winning, contrary to what you and people like you believe for some reason. Not everything is Kanye West-ified. Not sure where that narrative came from.

Man, there sure is alot for you to hate on.

I think the only way Horton leaves Cleveland is to be a head coach somewhere. He only left the cardinals because he didn't get the hc job and Arians had his own guy to be dc. Not to mention Horton was pretty upset he didn't get the job.

There's a chance that the Browns hire a coach that doesn't run a 3-4 like Mike Zimmer, leaving Horton without a job. Houston swooping in to grab him on the off chance that he doesn't get an HC position would be perfect.

Man, there sure is alot for you to hate on.

If hatred was based on success, it would be superficial. I'm not a superficial person and there's reason behind everything I do and feel. If you only hate teams because they win, well, I guess that'd make you superficial now, wouldn't it? That'd be pretty pathetic to only hate teams that win.

There's a chance that the Browns hire a coach that doesn't run a 3-4 like Mike Zimmer, leaving Horton without a job. Houston swooping in to grab him on the off chance that he doesn't get an HC position would be perfect.

I forgot that the head coach got fired. That would be an awesome hire.

This reminds me of this kid.

http://youtu.be/iy1dXPuI_gE

And how exactly does a level of hatred like that feel?

Guess we can add PSU's S&C coach to the staff. Don't know him. Anyone?

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 1h
The #Texans fired strength coaches Cedric Smith and Matt Schiotz this morning.

Fitzgerald is the third member of O'Brien's Penn State staff to have been confirmed as joining him in Houston. Receivers coach Stan Hixon has said he is headed to the Texans. And it has been widely reported that Jim Bernhardt, a special assistant to O'Brien at Penn State (and his position coach at Brown) would join Houston in a similar position.

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/1363496.html

I'm guessing.. Bill Kollar was retained for his fiery, red nosed attitude.. that's similar to O'Brien.. I think this coaching staff will be based on toughness... no soft attitudes to ware off on the players.. just my opinion

Guess we can add PSU's S&C coach to the staff. Don't know him. Anyone?

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/1363496.html

From what I understood they had to completely re-invent the S&C program at PSU because JoePa had some archaic ideas about the subject. A lot of the things that I have read implied that their program went from laughable to very legitimate in a short period of time and it showed on the field the two seasons he was there.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
PSU recieved resignations from FB coaches Charles London (RBs) Stan Hioxon(WRs) Anthony Midget (S) S&C coach Craig Fitzgerald per @BobbyFlo7

Sounds like it might be true

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 10m
Have ben told Bill O'Brien will hire Brian Ferentz as his OL coach w #Texans. Son of Iowa HC Kirk Ferentz. Good choice.

Hmm, that name sounds familiar. Wasn't he rumored around here a few years ago? He's a ZBS guy, right?

His dad coaches Iowa, he played there - yeah he is a ZBS guy. He coached TEs for the Patriots the year Gronk led the league in TDs and he and Hernandez dominated.

His dad coaches Iowa, he played there - yeah he is a ZBS guy. He coached TEs for the Patriots the year Gronk led the league in TDs and he and Hernandez dominated.

Sweet, well Texans already have their injury prone TE in Daniels, he will play the part of Gronk...

Now where can the Texans get a murdering TE to play Hernandez?

Very excited about the new S&C coach. I have hated the Texans S&C coaching the entire time. We have had way too many injuries compared to the norm.

Ah, so it was probably his pops' name that I heard (concerning the Texans) a few years ago?

Very excited about the new S&C coach. I have hated the Texans S&C coaching the entire time. We have had way too many injuries compared to the norm.

We have had three or four different S&C coaches. I guess they all liked injuries. But Cushing clearly was not in good enough shape to avoid his knee injury. I'm sure Tate's broken ribs were due to him being poorly trained as well.

Ah, so it was probably his pops' name that I heard (concerning the Texans) a few years ago?

Yeah - Kirk. He was asked to interview for HC when Kubiak was hired. He declined.

If hatred was based on success, it would be superficial. I'm not a superficial person and there's reason behind everything I do and feel. If you only hate teams because they win, well, I guess that'd make you superficial now, wouldn't it? That'd be pretty pathetic to only hate teams that win.

What is the real reason you hate everything Boston? I didnt see it in your rant so other than superficial crap you mentioned I didnt see any thing else. Really having hate for sports teams is pretty pathetic.

This HAS to mean that the Crennel hiring is all but a sure thing, right? Would he be hiring defensive position coaches without knowing who his DC is?

That seems to be the sentiment.

I have not read anything contrary to that from credible source.

George Godsey -- OC(?)
Brian Ferentz -- OL
Stan Hixon -- WRs
Charles London -- RBs
Anthony Midget -- Safties(?)
Craig Fitzgerald -- Strength & Conditioning
John Butler -- CBs(?)

Bill Kollar -- DL

Jim Bernhardt -- QC

Here's an overview of those four coaches' résumés:

Butler: Has been a college assistant coach since 1995, beginning at his alma mater Catholic University. He was a graduate assistant at Texas, then worked at Midwestern State, Southwest Texas State, Harvard, Minnesota and South Carolina before joining O'Brien's staff at Penn State as the defensive backs coach. A year ago Butler became the defensive coordinator.

Hixon: Started his coaching career in 1980 as an assistant at Morehead State. He spent 24 seasons as a college assistant before becoming an NFL receivers coach. That job came with the Washington Redskins in 2004 until the end of the 2009 season when he was out with a head coaching change. Hixon then coached receivers with the Buffalo Bills for two seasons before joining O'Brien's staff as receivers coach and assistant head coach.

London: Served as a graduate assistant at his alma mater Duke in 2004 and 2005 before becoming the running backs coach. He then spent three years as an offensive assistant with the Chicago Bears and a year as a scout for the Philadelphia Eagles. Before joining O'Brien's staff as the running backs coach, London was an offensive assistant for the Tennessee Titans.

Midget: Graduate assistant at Virginia Tech before coaching at Georgia State where he was a defensive coordinator in 2012. He joined O'Brien's staff as safeties coach last year.

Last edited:
What is the real reason you hate everything Boston? I didnt see it in your rant so other than superficial crap you mentioned I didnt see any thing else. Really having hate for sports teams is pretty pathetic.

You mean having multiple teams members of my family root for with massive rivalries with Boston teams and stupid, obnoxious, insufferable, insecure, "you're just a hater!" fans isn't enough to hate them? I know an incredible amount of Boston sports fans and they all exhibit the same traits.

I'm glad you think having hate for sports teams is pretty pathetic. I was of the thought that sports are competition and that you hate your rivals. I'm also glad that you're not in charge of determining anything about my hatred for a team or group of teams.

If you think my hatred for Boston sports is crazy, I think you'd probably drop dead if you knew how much I hate the Los Angeles Lakers.

.......anyway, looks like we're going Patriots/Penn State down the board. Can't expect anything less. You hire the guy that comes from the influences of what you want your team to be. Expecting him to not bring "his guys" aboard is foolish. Let's just hope they can win.

From what I understood they had to completely re-invent the S&C program at PSU because JoePa had some archaic ideas about the subject.

Last story I read said it included a lot of "shower" time.

Bill O’Brien came to Houston with intentions to make his mark as the new head coach of the Houston Texans. The first order of business came with the dismissal of all but one of the 2013 Texans coaching staff heading into the 2014 season, and bringing in his own coaches was in the plans from the start.

O’Brien said this of the type of coaches he is looking for,

“We’ll put together a staff of great teachers, demanding coaches. Coaches that hold their players accountable for good play. We’ll put together a staff of coaches who have a passion for football, that are good family men, that understand it’s important to go home. I think that’s important and we’ll have a really good staff of guys here to coach for the Houston Texans.”

To this point there are three names coming to Houston with O’Brien and one hold over from the 2013 Texans staff.

Stan Hixon

Hixon was one of the first ones known that would be coming with O’Brien to Houston. Hixon was hired by O’Brien in 2012 when he arrived at Penn State and coached wide receivers and was the assistant head coach for the Nitanny Lions. Hixon has spent time in the NFL with the Washington Redskins (2004-2010) and the Buffalo Bills (2010-2012), he also won a national championship with the LSU Tigers in 2003 when he was the assistant head coach and wide receiver coach under Nick Saban.

He has been praised for helping developing Nittany Lions wide receiver Allen Robinson who was the 2012 and 2013 Big Ten Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year, both seasons with Hixon as his position coach. 33 years of coaching experience and this will be his third stop working with O’Brien, Georgia Tech was the first stop with the new Texans head coach.

It appears he will replace former wide receiver coach Larry Kirksey in the same position for the 2014 season.

John Butler

Butler was hired by O’Brien in 2012 as Penn State’s secondary coach in 2011 and was promoted the next season to defensive coordinator. Also in 2012, Butler along with his defensive coordinator duties, he helped with the special teams units.

With 19 seasons in coaching he has coached linebackers and special teams at South Carolina (2011), Minnesota (2007-2010) and spent time at Harvard (2003-2006), Texas State (2001-2002) Midwestern State (1999-2000) and was a graduate assistant at the University of Texas during the 1997 and 1998 seasons.

Bulter has been described to us as an intense coach from our talks with Penn State insiders.

Charles London

London was hired by O’Brien in 2012 when the new staff was put into place at Penn State. London coached running backs at Penn State and helped oversee the special teams units for the Nitanny Lions.

He has spent time in the NFL with the Tennessee Titans (2011) as the offensive assistant/quality control coach, a scout for the Philadelphia Eagles (2010) and an offensive assistant with the Chicago Bears (2007-2009). He first crossed paths with O’Brien at Duke when he was the running backs coach (2006) and graduate assistant (2004-2005), while O’Brien was as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

London looks to be in place to take over the running back coaching position for the 2014 season.

Rumored to Be Joining O’Brien

Brian Ferentz

Currently the offensive line coach at the University of Iowa, Ferentz worked with O’Brien in New England (2009-2011). Ferentz started in New England as a scouting assitant, and then moved to offensive coaching assistant and then was promoted to the tight end coach in 2011. In 2011, Ferentz coached Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski who set NFL records for tight ends for the Patriots.

He left New England to join his father Kirk at the University of Iowa to coach offensive line.

Ferentz would be coaching the offensive line according to Alex Marvez from Fox Sports and they may already have a deal in place.

George Godsey

The current tight end coach at New England, and played quarterback at Georgia Tech when O’Brien was the offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech. Godsey started his coaching career at Central Florida as a graduate assistant (2004), quarterbacks coach (2005-2008) and running backs coach (2009-2010). He arrived in New England in 2011 as an offensive assistant and became the teams tight end coach in 2012. O’Brien was the offensive coordinator in 2011 when Godsey was an offensive assistant.

Signs have been pointing to Godsey possibly being the new offensive coordinator under O’Brien.
link

Back