Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

O-Line, Still not addressing the problem!

Our 2nd/3rd round OT we draft will probably get the nod on the right side. If he doesn't start immediately, he will by the beginning of 2007.

Coach C. said:
This is what the coaching staff is thinking.

Really. I'm pretty surprised to hear this.

Coach C. said:
I am not saying this is fact or anything, but let's just say dont be suprised if the lineup mentioned are the starters for week 1 barring injury.

Oh - so it's not a "fact" that that is what they are thinking. I won't be surprised. I hope you aren't surprised when it isn't that line-up as early as the first depth chart going into camp.

Coach C. said:
I have not seen it

I agree with this part. Although I am again surprised since you speak with such conviction and in such absolutes.

I agree completely, Ogre. What do you think of Scott's chance of coming here? As much as I like the Horns, I haven't been completely impressed with him.

swtbound07 said:
i agree with the principle from a football perspective, but if we are assuming the new regime can turn things around, wouldnt you start with trying to improve the most financially inflexible obstacles?

I just don't think he has the tools for our scheme. I think he'd do well in a power blocking system though. However, if the (Texans) coaches think he's the starter, I'll accept their evaluation.

Oso I did not call him fat or stupid, I said that his football IQ is not starter material and he is doughy. Doughy does not mean fat. I also stated that his athleticism is good enough to be a quality back up and spot player. I really would like to know why you think he will be a major player on our team. What is your basis. I am basing my thoughts on him purely on his performance, and workouts that I have seen. I could ask some people with the Texans, but then I would still just be saying the same thing and you would think it was the cousin of a scout or something so that should not matter. Look at his performance and his workouts, look at how he reads plays when he does play and then tell me he is starter material.

Runner I will place a bet with you right now on how the penciled depth chart looks. I say with conviction because, well I am pretty damn sure. I put the part about not being fact, because injury and hardwork could leapfrog someone like if Winston fell to the second it is likely he would start at RT and Weigert would move inside. Or if we picked Mangold who would likely start ahead of Weary. That makes it not fact.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had reporters in this city that would ask the coaches about players that we have our team and write/talk about them so some of these discussions have a basis in fact?

Vinny said:
That just helps my point. If you can't pass, it is hard to run (and vice versa of course). The only functional part of our offense was our running game.

Yes, maybe, but ther eis a difference of running as a discipline and "running for your life"!!!

Coach C. said:
Runner I will place a bet with you right now on how the penciled depth chart looks. I say with conviction because, well I am pretty damn sure. I put the part about not being fact, because injury and hardwork could leapfrog someone like if Winston fell to the second it is likely he would start at RT and Weigert would move inside. Or if we picked Mangold who would likely start ahead of Weary. That makes it not fact.

Internet bet? Nah, just come here and hit my rep button if I'm proven to be right. I've already bookmarked it in case I'm wrong and to forward it to you should you forget.

I've read in between the lines in other posts by you that you imply some insight into the Texans. I'm certainly willing to accept you know people in the organization; many posters do. Like any other company though, even employees have differing perceptions.

I got into these same arguments last year when I had the temerity to suggest that Riley wasn't starting LT material. Go figure.

Coach C. said:
Oso I did not call him fat or stupid, I said that his football IQ is not starter material and he is doughy. Doughy does not mean fat. I also stated that his athleticism is good enough to be a quality back up and spot player. I really would like to know why you think he will be a major player on our team. What is your basis. I am basing my thoughts on him purely on his performance, and workouts that I have seen. I could ask some people with the Texans, but then I would still just be saying the same thing and you would think it was the cousin of a scout or something so that should not matter. Look at his performance and his workouts, look at how he reads plays when he does play and then tell me he is starter material.

That's fine. I just disagree with you. He's known for his speed, and I don't think you can be doughy and fast. In my un-PC world, I define doughy as fat or overweight. But I digress. Let me throw this out there:

http://www.parisischool.com/programs/combine.asp

"Seth Wand: Ran the fastest 3 cone drill of any Tackle (7.57) at 321 pounds!"

Regardless of acumen or speed, however, I think the main reason you are going to see the dude on the field is that Sherman "targeted" him and his speed works well in Kubes' offense. For similar reasons we have Rosenfels, Flanagan, and will have Reggie Bush.

oso said:
"Seth Wand: Ran the fastest 3 cone drill of any Tackle (7.57) at 321 pounds!"

Don't start throwing facts around, or I'll have to mention that the best running stats in the history of the Texans were running outside left - behind the "doughy" Wand - in the 2004 season. Best by a pretty good margin too.

Coach C. said:
That makes it not fact.

I forgot to add that what actually makes it not fact is that you don't know what the coaches are thinking. No matter how hard you believe it doesn't make it true.

Hypothetically, what would you think if your proposed line of Pitts - McKinney - Flanagan - Weary - Weigert was wrong by 2-3 people/positions from how they were practicing this week? If someone saw them working a different primary line-up at practice, what would that mean?

Pure Speculation

This is the buzz circulating in Texans circles, but remember this stuff changes frequently and smoke screens are being setup as well.

The Texans are looking to draft one lineman with one of the three picks in 2nd/3rd rounds. If Eric Winston is available he will likely be picked with the 2nd round choice, he is there number one target - but they will not reach or trade up to get him.

If Winston is gone look for the team to trade down in the third round (trading second pick for later 3rd rounder, picking up a 6th rounder next year). W/ the lower 3rd round pick they will target Colledge.

If Winston is drafted look for him to play RT and Weigart to move back to guard, assuming Weary does not have a ridiculous training camp at guard.

If Colledge is drafted the status will be a little more up in the air. The team will try him out at both the RG and RT position. If he plays guard Weigart will stay at RT, otherwise, Weigart will move inside and Colledge will play RT.

Winston would be a great addition to our line, and I haven't seen any mocks that have him picked in the first round. By putting people in the positions they work best at (i.e., Pitts and McKinney at Guard) and by upgrading at Center, I think we have drastically improved the line. Oh, and getting rid of Pendry. I think that was more of a curse than we will ever fully comprehend.

oso said:
Winston would be a great addition to our line, and I haven't seen any mocks that have him picked in the first round. By putting people in the positions they work best at (i.e., Pitts and McKinney at Guard) and by upgrading at Center, I think we have drastically improved the line. Oh, and getting rid of Pendry. I think that was more of a curse than we will ever fully comprehend.

The removal of Pendry is a great move. Although, putting him in the position of o-line coach was one of the dumbest moves ever. I like Winston, and I think he would be a great addition to the o-line. Flannagan was a solid addition, and should anchor this line down. I'd rather have Pitts play LT because I, personally, am not comfortable with having a rookie at LT. JM:twocents:

I hear ya, man, and personally, I take it a step further and say that I think Capers is a fine coach. I think Pendry was the bigger problem. This can be a arguement - Capers hired Pendry. But to me, Pendry was a monumental, monolithic part of last year's demise. It will be interesting to see this line come September. The teams seems to be making the right moves.

Runner said:
I got into these same arguments last year when I had the temerity to suggest that Riley wasn't starting LT material. Go figure.

And you'll BURN for that kinda talk! ;)

oso said:
I agree completely, Ogre. What do you think of Scott's chance of coming here? As much as I like the Horns, I haven't been completely impressed with him.

I'd rather we take someone with our 2nd. Scott would be a fine addition to the team, but I really want one of the higher rated OT's.

Coach C. said:
OSO Wand is not going to start and unless there is an injury likely will not see extensive playing time. The line as I have stated ealier is as of right now:
Pitts, McKinney, Flannigan, Weary, Weigert. That is the line, I understand that some people dont want to believe that Wand was a reach, but he was and unless he shows something this year in the pre-season he will be looking for another team.

Runner said:
I hope you aren't surprised when it isn't that line-up as early as the first depth chart going into camp.

Coach C. said:

Runner said:
Internet bet? Nah, just come here and hit my rep button if I'm proven to be right. I've already bookmarked it in case I'm wrong and to forward it to you should you forget.

How's that bet looking right now?

swtbound07 said:
i agree with the principle from a football perspective, but if we are assuming the new regime can turn things around, wouldnt you start with trying to improve the most financially inflexible obstacles?

Our new Regime got rid of Walker..... dam the cap hit, they weren't going to let this guy eat up a roster spot for someone who can play. I think salary is a lot lower on the list, than many think.

Wand--Pitts--Flanagan--McKinny--Weigart

Houston Pro Football
Houston Pro Football

April 16, 2006
Re-Starting Fresh

Out with the old, and in with the new. Such has been the case around Reliant Park this offseason with the changes on the Texans' coaching staff, but when it comes to the offensive line, it's more like back in with the old.

Assistant head coach Mike Sherman is working former starter Seth Wand at left tackle during offseason workouts, giving him special attention after practice to improve his pass blocking and restore his confidence. A third round pick of the team in 2003, Wand started all 16 games his second year in the league, only to be demoted in training camp last year in favor of the since-departed Victor Riley.

Wand's promotion to left tackle has caused a ripple effect to whom is filling the remaining positions on the offsensive line. Last year's starter at left tackle, Chester Pitts, has moved back to left guard, causing Steve McKinney to shift over to right guard.

McKinney's flip to the right side has pushed Zach Wiegert to right tackle, effectively benching the recovering Todd Wade, at least for the time being. Free agent signee Mike Flanagan has been working as the starting center.

The current depth chart is, of course, highly subject to change with the draft and further offseason workouts and coaching sessions. Heavy speculation suggests that the team is likely to consider adding a tackle before the first day of the draft is complete.

"There's a good chance that we may not address (offensive line) in the first round," general manager Charley Casserly said. "We might address it in another round. With the schemes that we're bringing in, I think we're going to be much improved with the players we have."

Back